What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 19 vs Dragons @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 19: Knights v Dragons

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2020 - Round 19
Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton
Sunday 20 September 2020

Kickoff 4:05pm - Nine / Fox

TL-NEW20a.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Edrick Lee 3. Enari Tuala 4. Hymel Hunt 5. Starford To'a 6. Tex Hoy 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Chris Randall 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Aidan Guerra 13. Mitchell Barnett
Interchange: 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Herman Ese'ese 17. Sione Mata'utia 18. Josh King 19. Pasami Saulo 20. Mason Lino 21. Tautau Moga

TL-SGI20a.png

1. Matthew Dufty 2. Jordan Pereira 3. Euan Aitken 4. Zac Lomax 5. Cody Ramsey 6. Corey Norman 7. Adam Clune 8. Kaide Ellis 9. Ben Hunt 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Jackson Ford 13. Cameron McInnes
Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims 15. Josh Kerr 16. Blake Lawrie 17. Max Feagai 18. Eddie Blacker 19. Tyrell Fuimaono 20. Brayden Wiliame 21. Jayden Sullivan

fevf2bE.jpg

Referees: Grant Atkins
Sideline Officials: David Munro, Jon Stone
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy

Last edited by a moderator:
"
Knights coach Adam O'Brien is banking on Tex Hoy's X-factor with the footy to ignite Newcastle's attack after pulling a selection shock by dumping five-eighth Mason Lino for Sunday's clash with St George Illawarra.

The Newcastle Herald can reveal Hoy is set to start his first NRL game at five-eighth against the Dragons at McDonald Jones Stadium just a fortnight out from the play-offs. He trained in the position on Tuesday.

He will be skipper Mitchell Pearce's fourth halves partner this season with Kurt Mann, Blake Green and Lino all previously having spent time in the No.6 jersey.

Tex Hoy

Lino has spent the past three weeks in the position but despite the positives of his goal-kicking, has paid the price for a below par performance in the 42-12 thumping by the Sydney Roosters last Saturday night.

Toohey's News: Listen to Barry Toohey's new podcast in your Podcast app

Hoy switches into the five-eighth role after deputising for a rested Kalyn Ponga at fullback against the Roosters.

Ponga returns for the Dragons clash along with other rested stars Mitch Barnett and Hymel Hunt with Hunt set to play his first game of the season in the centres with Gehamat Shibasaki making way. Starford To'a will retain his place on the wing.

Meanwhile, Chris Randall is set to play just his second NRL game as a starting hooker following Kurt Mann's one game suspension with youngster Phoenix Crossland back on the bench after missing the Roosters game as a precaution following a concussion.

The squad trained together on Tuesday morning.

The full Knights team for the Dragons clash will be officially announced at 4 pm."

Knight Vision

First Grade
wow, no doubt that's the end of Lino's time at the Knights.

Let's hope Hoy has some blinders and makes the position his for next year.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Our attack is going to be even more clunky now with a halfback who's out of form and lacking in creativity, as well as a makeshift 5/8 who's only real asset at the moment is his ball-running.

You can't expect much from Hoy yet, but he really looked lost in attack against the Roosters and wasn't able to get himself involved very well.

I still feel Lino (while not great) gives us the best balance and frees up Ponga to play his best football

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Below par performance? He's outplayed Pearce the last few weeks.
It wasn't Lino acting like a turnstile on the right edge of throwing passes a metre forward.

Yeah that wasn't him. Lino was the one just lying down all over the place giving away set restarts.

Perhaps though, just a thought... Real maverick I know but... How about, instead of swapping Pearce's partner all the time, we swap Pearce? You know, like drop him for lack of form. Crazy I know...

But seriously, good to see the club give a chance to Hoy. We have secured finals footy, Lino definitely not part of our future, give a young lad with potential a good run to gain experience. There is no chance we win the premiership this season so it's wise to give as much experience possible to the lads who might actually be there when we do go on a real premiership run.

Knight Vision

First Grade
How about, instead of swapping Pearce's partner all the time, we swap Pearce? You know, like drop him for lack of form. Crazy I know..
Not crazy at all. He deserves to be dropped. He wouldnt be lining up for the Storm or Roosters based on his efforts, they would drop him.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Glad to see Hunt back in the centres and Randall starting.

Not sure why Lino was dropped though. Hoy isn’t a 5/8.
Hunt in the centres is ok with me. Will do fine. In fact, I was surprised he was pushed to wing after great work in the centres originally.

But, he has been very impressive doing the grunt work kick returns that a winger needs to do. Gotta say he is one of my favourites this year.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Geez we better rip in this week - old boys day and Aidan Guerra’s last home game....they need to step up and smash the Dragons

I would think Lino has possibly been dropped for his defence. He definitely didn't lose the game for us last week.
I didn't pick up on major defensive lapses from Lino but he also didn't get my attention in attack. His defensive effort is aimed around coming in as third man around the legs. He put a ton of effort into that. It's when he's caught on his own there's an issue. I expect Hoy to do much the same.
So, we've got a fullback at 6 and a fullback at 1 that can do a better job at 6 provided he doesn't just stand in the line.
Focus is back on Pearce with Ponga to step in. I don't think Hoy will take pressure off Pearce.
Good to have Barney back. Sione added some spark last week. JSaf best off the bench and needs to lift. King unlucky not getting a run.

Old dog

Juniors
So our coach sees Hoy as a better all round 5/8 than Lino, not based on future but on now, need to win game. Can’t believe Lino is dropped for defensive lapses to be replaced by Hoy a not so good defender.
Also take into account general kicking game as well as goal kicking, we are back to Ponga, points will count this week and next.
I hope that Hoy kills it as does the team, what I really hope is that Lino is in extended bench and that coach will have a change of mind a day or more before game.

Jono078

Referee
Even though Hoy is named at his 6, I wonder whether he and Ponga will swap in attack. Guess we'll find out Sunday!

Latest posts