What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
f**k.. Not sure how I feel about him coaching against his future club this week..

Hopefully he’ll have a point to prove to both clubs..

redv13

Bench
f**k.. Not sure how I feel about him coaching against his future club this week..

Hopefully he’ll have a point to prove to both clubs..
Who cares really. This joint has lacked professionalism since Bennett left. Why would this matter now?? Just shows where DY is at to be honest, zero f**ks given towards the club now!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Who cares really. This joint has lacked professionalism since Bennett left. Why would this matter now?? Just shows where DY is at to be honest, zero f**ks given towards the club now!!
I care.

I want to enjoy the game this weekend.

So I hope he’s coaching to make a point to our club.

redv13

Bench
I care.

I want to enjoy the game this weekend.

So I hope he’s coaching to make a point to our club.
Don’t hold you're breath for anything remotely spectacular from our coaches box this weekend. I’d be shocked if all 17 players got a decent run

Gareth67

First Grade
I am glad for Dean . If the man truly wishes to become a top-flight NRL coach then he must serve his apprenticeship somewhere other than the Dragons .

Our system has way too many flaws in it at present ( and of course Young himself was a contributor to that ) so he needs to shed his ‘ security blanket ‘ and look at coaching from a totally different perspective - which can only be gain from another club .

I do wish him well in his quest .

matPORTS

Juniors
I do believe that Dean Young ultimately wants what is best for the club. If that meant him having to seek opportunities elsewhere to continue serving his apprenticeship, then he has done the right thing. For that, we can only applaud him.

I also believe that Dean is smarter than our previous coach, who just could not see (or more likely simply chose to ignore) the writing on the wall even though it was there for so long. He could not stay on as an assistant here knowing that scrutiny would continually be on him as the 'old boy' possibly undermining the head coach.

I also applaud the club, and in particular Ryan Webb, who has no doubt worked behind the scenes and battled the factions to ensure that the right decisions have been made in order to give this ship a chance at turning around. Ryan did also mention that Dean Youngs' performance as interim would be judged on in these concluding rounds - and the reality is the performances have not been up to scratch, so I'm also willing to bet that Ryan has played a part by having a conversation with Dean with regards to seeking opportunities elsewhere.

This gives us the fresh start and new outside perspectives that we need. Hook is bringing in all his own staff which ensures accountability from day one. Personally, I'm under no illusions that some more pain is still to come as we get the playing roster sorted out and as the remaining crop settle into what will be a 'new normal'. But if Hook and his staff are unable to start pointing the ship in the right direction within these first two years (that includes astute recruitment, retention and promotion from the junior stocks) that's all on them.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I do believe that Dean Young ultimately wants what is best for the club. If that meant him having to seek opportunities elsewhere to continue serving his apprenticeship, then he has done the right thing. For that, we can only applaud him.

I also believe that Dean is smarter than our previous coach, who just could not see (or more likely simply chose to ignore) the writing on the wall even though it was there for so long. He could not stay on as an assistant here knowing that scrutiny would continually be on him as the 'old boy' possibly undermining the head coach.

I also applaud the club, and in particular Ryan Webb, who has no doubt worked behind the scenes and battled the factions to ensure that the right decisions have been made in order to give this ship a chance at turning around. Ryan did also mention that Dean Youngs' performance as interim would be judged on in these concluding rounds - and the reality is they have not been up to scratch, so I'm also willing to bet that Ryan has played a part by having a conversation with Dean with regards to seeking opportunities elsewhere.

This gives us the fresh start and new outside perspectives that we need. Hook is bringing in all his own staff which ensures accountability from day one. Personally, I'm under no illusions that some more pain is still to come as we get the playing roster sorted out and as the remaining crop settle into what will be a 'new normal'. But if Hook and his staff are unable to start pointing the ship in the right direction within these first two years (that includes astute recruitment, retention and promotion from the junior stocks) that's all on them.

Good post matPORTS .

Maddragon99

Juniors

Good post. At the end of the day Deano is a premiership winner & a undisputed club legend. Kissing the jersey after he scored a try in the GF & the tearful embrace with his father during the celebrations. As a fan you can’t ask anymore from a player.

He wanted the coaching job because he never wanted to leave the club he loves so much. Much like Nathan Brown. Sure Nathan couldn’t get us across the line in 2005 or 2006 but no one could ever deny Nathan’s love for the Dragons.

I think the club has made the correct decision in appointing Hook after the waisted McGuber years we need an outsider to come in & dispassionately make hard decisions.

Full credit to Ryan Webb & Hook in showing respect to Dean & giving him the decision to stay or go. I believe all his years of loyal service deserves proper respect.

It was only a year ago when Gus Gould unceremoniously sacked former premiership winning captain Ben Hornby. Ben was shown the door with no respect & replaced by a Cronulla scum cheat, How did that work out?? Fu@k off Gould you @unt & never come back.

I wish Dean all the best in his journey I’m sure he’ll find success wherever he ends up.

Latest posts