What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Panther Pete

Juniors
It's hard to compare because they play different minutes. To be fair, Tamou also starts the game and plays against the oppositions A team. That said, Leota makes more metres per run (9 vs 8), and more tackle busts (10 vs 6). But Tamou has a better effective tackle percentage (96% vs 91%).

I think those stats sum up what you can see with your eyes. Tamou tightens up the middle defence. Leota bends the line more.
They are fair points you make and something I hadn't considered. I don't look at stats more just my observations but at times to me Tamou looks like he takes jog ups rather than hit ups certainly when compared to Leota and Tevetano but perhaps that's just because those two can run faster.

betcats

Referee
They are fair points you make and something I hadn't considered. I don't look at stats more just my observations but at times to me Tamou looks like he takes jog ups rather than hit ups certainly when compared to Leota and Tevetano but perhaps that's just because those two can run faster.

His legs are much longer, Leota in particular is probably taking two strides for every one of Jimmy's. I think this can make it look like he is just lumbering up.

betcats

Referee
It's hard to compare because they play different minutes. To be fair, Tamou also starts the game and plays against the oppositions A team. That said, Leota makes more metres per run (9 vs 8), and more tackle busts (10 vs 6). But Tamou has a better effective tackle percentage (96% vs 91%).

I think those stats sum up what you can see with your eyes. Tamou tightens up the middle defence. Leota bends the line more.

Tamou is definitely the better defender but Leota at times can be very punishing defensively. I hazard a guess that he drives attackers back with his tackles more than Tamou. Jimmy kind of wraps guys up and then grounds to their backs whereas Moses actually hits a bit more and drives guys backwards.

MugaB

Coach
Unfair advantage, atleast To'O looks like he is scrapping every inch for his meters, Jimmy Brings, just waltzs for them

BxTom

Bench
What are we thinking about the Benji Marshall situation?

His defence hasn't been up to scratch at times this year. Came up with a poor decision on the weekend which killed the match, but also came up with a couple outstanding plays which gave them a chance to win. Meanwhile Brooks was too busy punching Gagai and Josh Reynolds was probably ordering chips and x4 light beers for the boys. Still the best play maker at the Tigers by a very long way.

And looking at other teams I think he makes it into plenty of other top 30 squads. He doesn't appear worried about being out of the starting 17, just wants to play football. Surprised the Warriors haven't taken a shot yet. Broncos are an obvious choice because they are totally f**ked.

Obviously with our depth he isn't getting a contract. But the talk is now about an off-field job at the Tigers. His ability in attack on the field might cross over into coaching at some point. I wouldn't take him on as a first year assistant to replace Barrett but might be worth a shout down the track.

Other option is he fills a role similar to what Andrew Johns has done for halves at other clubs. Though I'm curious to know how that translates into on-field results. That role would probably be to develop an individual player's skill set.
I think that as he was dropped within a couple of days of the team honesty talk being leaked to the press he wasn't dropped for form I thought the timing was a strong statement in itself.

Tom.

betcats

Referee
Interesting read and mirrors my concerns. Like the author says at the end "I hope I'm wrong..."

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/16/four-reasons-penrith-will-fall-short-of-nrl-glory-in-2020/

Some decent points there but some are just silly. Like point 3(we havent suffered travel fatigue) How does this matter going forward? We aren't likely to be travelling to much during the finals.

Or there reason for the storm not being at their best when we beat them is also just silly, oh they had a long bus ride before the game so of course they were not at their best. Even their excuse for the roosters was a little bit of a beat up, they were coming off a long tour of europe? really? does he mean the one game they played over there is a tour? a long tour at that? That played another trial back in Aus before round one so in any case they had been back for a while. Also he talks about the roosters new halves combo in round one but doesnt mention our own new halves combo and hooker as well.

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
Some decent points there but some are just silly. Like point 3(we havent suffered travel fatigue) How does this matter going forward? We aren't likely to be travelling to much during the finals.

Or there reason for the storm not being at their best when we beat them is also just silly, oh they had a long bus ride before the game so of course they were not at their best. Even their excuse for the roosters was a little bit of a beat up, they were coming off a long tour of europe? really? does he mean the one game they played over there is a tour? a long tour at that? That played another trial back in Aus before round one so in any case they had been back for a while. Also he talks about the roosters new halves combo in round one but doesnt mention our own new halves combo and hooker as well.

The Roosters we beat in Round 1 are a completely different beast to what they are now - and they are sharp and in red hot form. In saying that, we are also a different animal, so it should be interesting. If we square up in the Preliminaries Roosters would have to be the clear favourites.

betcats

Referee
The Roosters we beat in Round 1 are a completely different beast to what they are now - and they are sharp and in red hot form. In saying that, we are also a different animal, so it should be interesting. If we square up in the Preliminaries Roosters would have to be the clear favourites.

Like you said we are a much different side since then also. Api has had time to work combos out. Jerome has come on in leaps and bounds. We started that game with Aekins at fullback and Crichton on the bench. We didnt have May or Edwards available, both have been key pieces this year and Critta is our top tryscorer.

I am more worried about the storm. We only lose to the roosters if we dont play to our potential, if we turn up and play well we will dominate field position against the roosters and beat them.

WestyLife

First Grade

Even me with my concerned thought most of that was bad. Everything outside experience is irrelevant.

Like you said we are a much different side since then also. Api has had time to work combos out. Jerome has come on in leaps and bounds. We started that game with Aekins at fullback and Crichton on the bench. We didnt have May or Edwards available, both have been key pieces this year and Critta is our top tryscorer.

I am more worried about the storm. We only lose to the roosters if we dont play to our potential, if we turn up and play well we will dominate field position against the roosters and beat them.

I'm more worried about the Roosters. The storm edge defence is terrible this year while our edges attack really well on both sides now.

betcats

Referee
Even me with my concerned thought most of that was bad. Everything outside experience is irrelevant.

I'm more worried about the Roosters. The storm edge defence is terrible this year while our edges attack really well on both sides now.

I just think the roosters only have Keary and Tedesco as playmakers. Losing Radley has hurt them, he was their third bally player and really took pressure off the spine. SBW is a great player but he is not a ball playing lock, he doesnt do much to fill that void and losing Verylls off the bench is a pretty big loss, he is gun hooker imo already better than Jake Friend. Melbourne have got Smith, Pap and Munster who can really lay on tries and Hughes is decent, and I think they have a better forward pack than the roosters. If we are not turning over the ball to the roosters and not having a shocker defensively I dont think they have the points in them to beat us. We could play our best and defend our best and if the three storm players I mentioned are on song they could still put points on us I think.

WestyLife

First Grade
I just think the roosters only have Keary and Tedesco as playmakers. Losing Radley has hurt them, he was there third bally player and really took pressure off the spine. SBW is a great player but he is not a ball playing lock, he doesnt do much to fill that void and losing Verylls off the bench is a pretty big loss, he is gun hooker imo already better than Jake Friend. Melbourne have got Smith, Pap and Munster who can really lay on tries and Hughes is decent, and I think they have a better forward pack than the roosters. If we are not turning over the ball to the roosters and not having a shocker defensively I dont think they have the points in them to beat us. We could play our best and defend our best and if the three storm players I mentioned are on song they could still put points on us I think.

I completely agree yet I think we can put points on the storm more than we can Roosters. Guess it depends whether you think we can beat the Roosters in a grind or the storm in a game of who has the most points.

Jane Murray

Bench
Interesting read and mirrors my concerns. Like the author says at the end "I hope I'm wrong..."

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/16/four-reasons-penrith-will-fall-short-of-nrl-glory-in-2020/

Here's my thoughts:
1. The Panthers are capable of playing much, much, better than what they have been. It also takes effort, to win 13 games straight.

2. The Panthers have already played the top teams, and with the exemption of the Eels, which is 1 all, the others resulting in a win.

3. That is true, however, the NRL has dictated the schedule, and that has no bearings in future games.

4. In a way that is true, however, the players do have experience in the finals, and all experienced teams, who regularly play finals, are rookie players themselves.

The_Frog

First Grade
Or there reason for the storm not being at their best when we beat them is also just silly, oh they had a long bus ride before the game so of course they were not at their best. Even their excuse for the roosters was a little bit of a beat up, they were coming off a long tour of europe? really?
Champion sides don't need excuses to be made for their failures.

The_Frog

First Grade
What does everyone think, Yeo for Captain next year?!? I think it’s gotta be him or Nathan.

both fine choices, but I think Yeo for mine.
It certainly looks like it, given he is captain for this match. Nathan might have to wait after his sins of the lockdown period.

Just like they were in the 2014 final.....

And in a little game played between the two in 2003 called the GF........

Its funny.
This time of year I'm usually trying to work out if it is mathematically possible for us to make 8th spot.
This year we are trying to work out whether we will play Roosters or Storm in the Grand Final.
Its certainly been a strange year.

My thoughts exactly. Last year it was all about, “we need to win this many games and hopefully this team loses, and this team beats that team, etc..........”

It’s refreshing to worry about whether we’ll finish 1st or 2nd for a change!

Latest posts