What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

betcats

Referee
I dont have a subscription so cant post but Bizza is on the back page of the DT today, the story is about our Mt Druitt boys and that sbs show "Struggle street" from a few years ago. I never watched it but apparently Critta grew up on the street from the show. Anyway I love seeing these local boys do so well, its my favorite thing about the club.

The_Frog

First Grade
The Roosters we beat in Round 1 are a completely different beast to what they are now - and they are sharp and in red hot form.
I think they were complacent before the lockdown, resting players before a ball had been kicked. They thought they could make up whatever deficit they incurred, but in the end they couldn't after four matches were shaved off the season. It won't surprise me if they mysteriously lose to the Rabbitohs in the final round so they won't have to travel to Brisbane. We should be preparing to play them in week 1.

Jane Murray

Bench
I dont have a subscription so cant post but Bizza is on the back page of the DT today, the story is about our Mt Druitt boys and that sbs show "Struggle street" from a few years ago. I never watched it but apparently Critta grew up on the street from the show. Anyway I love seeing these local boys do so well, its my favorite thing about the club.

Hopefully, this shows?

Attachments

• 119303647_2800335516851963_2725818991369557871_o (4).jpg
    119303647_2800335516851963_2725818991369557871_o (4).jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 119510527_2800335636851951_1949640730781462936_o (3).jpg
    119510527_2800335636851951_1949640730781462936_o (3).jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 119440785_2800335553518626_6397259162289491234_o.jpg
    119440785_2800335553518626_6397259162289491234_o.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Hopefully, this shows?
What a fantastic story. It makes you proud to be associated with the club. It’s the connection with the Penrith district that made me fall in love with the Panthers in the first place. The team isn’t made up of exotic superstars from far away locations, but Is full of the humble, gritty working class lads from the local area, or, from the country. No Billy Big Balls in our team, no Flash Harry’s just ordinary people who are good at what they do because of hard work and dedication. The sort of people the snobs in Rugby Union, like Peter Fitzsimmons, just don’t understand or relate to. Too busy gazing at their shiny BMW’s as they sip their lattes to notice the talent under their noses.

Jane Murray

Bench
What a fantastic story. It makes you proud to be associated with the club. It’s the connection with the Penrith district that made me fall in love with the Panthers in the first place. The team isn’t made up of exotic superstars from far away locations, but Is full of the humble, gritty working class lads from the local area, or, from the country. No Billy Big Balls in our team, no Flash Harry’s just ordinary people who are good at what they do because of hard work and dedication. The sort of people the snobs in Rugby Union, like Peter Fitzsimmons, just don’t understand or relate to. Too busy gazing at their shiny BMW’s as they sip their lattes to notice the talent under their noses.

I live in the lower blue mountains, and some people's reactions amuses me no end. Snobs glore.

WestyLife

First Grade
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/aeb2fb4bb8907fd10ebab3b8eecf13fa

If an Australian Test team was picked today there would not be a single Penrith player in the line-up, not even on the bench.

That includes Nathan Cleary.

Unless your name is Ivan Cleary, or you are a diehard Panthers supporter, there is just no way you could go past Cameron Munster and Luke Keary as the first choice halves pairing.

Except, of course, if you stuck with Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans, who is also the No.7 Test incumbent and Australia vice-captain.

Cleary would come in as the third choice halfback behind Keary and Cherry-Evans for mine.

This is not intended to be a slight on Cleary or the Panthers’ amazing success this season.

Rather, it is to point out how unbelievable they have been to make it 13 straight wins without the recognised champions of many of their rivals.

But I also worry this could be the Panthers’ Achilles heel when they come up against the big-match experience of the likes of the Sydney Roosters, Melbourne and Canberra especially, when it finally comes down to winner-takes-all football.

A lot of critics are starting to question if the Panthers have another gear in them, and this highlights why it is a legitimate debate: Is the flaw in Penrith’s roster about to be exposed heading into the finals?

Only time will tell if the Panthers are ready to take the next step.

But what can’t be disputed is that they will need to climb to another level in the coming weeks, because their opposition certainly will.

Aside from Cleary, the only other Panthers even in the mix from a NSW perspective would be young gun centre Stephen Crichton, lock Isaah Yeo and backrower Liam Martin.

That’s factoring in James Fisher-Harris is a New Zealander and Viliame Kikau plays for Fiji.

Yet with all due respect, none of them would crack Brad Fittler’s starting line-up with so many options at the Blues’ disposal, aside from Cleary, of course.

The halves debate is particularly interesting.

It wasn’t so long ago many thought the retirement of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk would leave a massive void.

But right now there are at least five genuine contenders for the five-eighth and halfback spots if you include Jack Wighton, although the Canberra five-eighth will most likely again shift to the centres to make the Blues’ starting side.

And this is leaving out the Rabbitohs’ pairing of Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker, Parramatta’s Mitchell Moses and North Queensland’s Michael Morgan.

Another factor in Keary’s favour is his club combination with James Tedesco and NSW Test and NSW captain Boyd Cordner on the left edge.

I spoke to Mal Meninga about this hypothetical Test debate this week and he pointed out the importance of club combinations.

Mal didn’t want to get into which way he would lean at this stage, simply because there is no Test this year.

In fact, it’s the first year since 1976 the Kangaroos haven’t had a game.

But Mal said he would be selecting an Australian merit team after the Origin series regardless.

And he also conceded next year’s World Cup was a huge factor leading into this year’s Origin series.

In respect to the halves, what couldn’t be ignored is that he showed genuine support for Cherry-Evans.

“I am not going to write him off because of Manly’s form,” Meninga said.

“Obviously Manly hasn’t done so well this year, but Daly has been a shining light.

“I reckon his leadership is improving all the time, and his effort levels are excellent.

“He has had a lot of disruption around him, particularly in the spine.”

As well as playing most of the year without Tommy Turbo and Dylan Walker, Meninga also noted the absence of dummy halves Api Koroisau and Manase Fainu from last season.

Meninga said the emphasis picking any Australian team was always about picking the best, regardless of age.

But with a World Cup next year, the squad he was looking at building to tour the United Kingdom included 24 players.

“So those five players you mentioned will all be in the squad if they keep on performing,” Meninga said.

“In the course of the next 12 months we have to put a plan in place and so this is a pretty relevant question really.

“I don’t think we will get another Test match before the World Cup, so we will be at a disadvantage from a combination perspective, and there is a bit of work to be done.”

What this depth of competition also shows is that the current generation of halves don’t get nearly the recognition they deserve.

MORE NRL NEWS

Young is done - Dragons legend quits club

Rival’s $2.5m AFB play as Manly eye shock target

How dozy Broncos let slip big part of future spine

In past generations we always had strong competition for the halves spots and it became a part of the game’s folklore.

Going back to the great battles between champions like Tommy Raudonikis, Steve Mortimer and Peter Sterling, Ricky Stuart, Alfie Langer and Geoff Toovey. Wally Lewis and Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler and Kevvie Walters … Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Darren Lockyer, Thurston and Cronk.

“Exactly. And all those got opportunity through success for their states,” Meninga said, again pointing to the importance of this year’s Origin series.

It’s probably a point the players could use to help motivate them further after such a long and tough season isolated away from family in the ‘bubble’.

KANGAROOS MERIT TEAM CONTENDERS

Who make the Kangaroos team in an unaffected season? Paul Crawley shares his verdict, and you can vote in the poll above to have your say.

FULLBACKS

Candidates: James Tedesco, Kalyn Ponga, Tom Trbojevic, Ryan Papenhuyzen

Crawley’s verdict: Tedesco is the absolute standout but this list shows the competition among the current fullbacks is as strong as any era.

WINGERS Candidates: Josh Addo-Carr, Brett Morris, Nick Cotric, Daniel Tupou, Blake Ferguson, Dane Gagai, David Nofoaluma

Crawley’s verdict: Addo-Carr and Brett Morris get my vote but you could just as easily make a case for Cotric or Gagai on this year’s form.

CENTRES Candidates: Jack Wighton, Tom Trbojevic, Josh Morris, Jarrod Croker, Stephen Crichton, Kotoni Staggs

Crawley’s verdict: Wighton has to be in the team and if Tom Trbojevic is fit he picks himself. But on his form again this year Josh Morris still would not be out of place.

FIVE-EIGHTHS Candidates: Cameron Munster, Luke Keary, Jack Wighton, Cody Walker

Crawley’s verdict: All have had fabulous seasons but Keary’s ability to play seven makes Munster the standout six.

HALFBACKS Candidates: Daly Cherry-Evans, Nathan Cleary, Luke Keary, Mitchell Moses, Adam Reynolds

Crawley’s verdict: This year’s Origin series will determine who gets the merit vote from Mal. But I couldn’t leave out a fit Keary.

PROPS Candidates: Josh Papalii, David Klemmer, Daniel Saifiti, Paul Vaughan, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo

Crawley’s verdict: Papalii is first picked and Klemmer probably next, especially given Parramatta’s recent drop in form. The other option would be to play Jake Trbojevic up front.

HOOKERS Candidates: Damien Cook, Api Koroisau, Harry Grant, Cameron Smith

Crawley’s verdict: Cameron Smith would still be dummy half if he made himself available, otherwise Damien Cook’s recent revival secures his spot.

SECOND ROW Candidates: Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham, Felise Kaufusi, David Fifita, Liam Martin, Ryan Matterson

Crawley’s verdict: Cordner and Frizell have earned loyalty but you couldn’t go wrong with any of these.

LOCKS Candidates: Jake Trbojevic, Cameron Murray, Dale Finucane, Isaah Yeo

Crawley’s verdict: The depth here with Jake, Cam Murray and Dale Finucane again explains why Penrith would struggle to get a player in a 17-man Australian Test squad.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/aeb2fb4bb8907fd10ebab3b8eecf13fa

If an Australian Test team was picked today there would not be a single Penrith player in the line-up, not even on the bench.

Unless your name is Ivan Cleary, or you are a diehard Panthers supporter, there is just no way you could go past Cameron Munster and Luke Keary as the first choice halves pairing.

Except, of course, if you stuck with Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans, who is also the No.7 Test incumbent and Australia vice-captain.

Cleary would come in as the third choice halfback behind Keary and Cherry-Evans for mine.

This is not intended to be a slight on Cleary or the Panthers’ amazing success this season.

Rather, it is to point out how unbelievable they have been to make it 13 straight wins without the recognised champions of many of their rivals.

But I also worry this could be the Panthers’ Achilles heel when they come up against the big-match experience of the likes of the Sydney Roosters, Melbourne and Canberra especially, when it finally comes down to winner-takes-all football.

A lot of critics are starting to question if the Panthers have another gear in them, and this highlights why it is a legitimate debate: Is the flaw in Penrith’s roster about to be exposed heading into the finals?

But what can’t be disputed is that they will need to climb to another level in the coming weeks, because their opposition certainly will.

Aside from Cleary, the only other Panthers even in the mix from a NSW perspective would be young gun centre Stephen Crichton, lock Isaah Yeo and backrower Liam Martin.

That’s factoring in James Fisher-Harris is a New Zealander and Viliame Kikau plays for Fiji.

Yet with all due respect, none of them would crack Brad Fittler’s starting line-up with so many options at the Blues’ disposal, aside from Cleary, of course.

It wasn’t so long ago many thought the retirement of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk would leave a massive void.

But right now there are at least five genuine contenders for the five-eighth and halfback spots if you include Jack Wighton, although the Canberra five-eighth will most likely again shift to the centres to make the Blues’ starting side.

And this is leaving out the Rabbitohs’ pairing of Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker, Parramatta’s Mitchell Moses and North Queensland’s Michael Morgan.

Another factor in Keary’s favour is his club combination with James Tedesco and NSW Test and NSW captain Boyd Cordner on the left edge.

I spoke to Mal Meninga about this hypothetical Test debate this week and he pointed out the importance of club combinations.

Mal didn’t want to get into which way he would lean at this stage, simply because there is no Test this year.

But Mal said he would be selecting an Australian merit team after the Origin series regardless.

And he also conceded next year’s World Cup was a huge factor leading into this year’s Origin series.

In respect to the halves, what couldn’t be ignored is that he showed genuine support for Cherry-Evans.

“Obviously Manly hasn’t done so well this year, but Daly has been a shining light.

“I reckon his leadership is improving all the time, and his effort levels are excellent.

As well as playing most of the year without Tommy Turbo and Dylan Walker, Meninga also noted the absence of dummy halves Api Koroisau and Manase Fainu from last season.

Meninga said the emphasis picking any Australian team was always about picking the best, regardless of age.

But with a World Cup next year, the squad he was looking at building to tour the United Kingdom included 24 players.

“So those five players you mentioned will all be in the squad if they keep on performing,” Meninga said.

“In the course of the next 12 months we have to put a plan in place and so this is a pretty relevant question really.

“I don’t think we will get another Test match before the World Cup, so we will be at a disadvantage from a combination perspective, and there is a bit of work to be done.”

What this depth of competition also shows is that the current generation of halves don’t get nearly the recognition they deserve.

MORE NRL NEWS

In past generations we always had strong competition for the halves spots and it became a part of the game’s folklore.

Going back to the great battles between champions like Tommy Raudonikis, Steve Mortimer and Peter Sterling, Ricky Stuart, Alfie Langer and Geoff Toovey. Wally Lewis and Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler and Kevvie Walters … Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Darren Lockyer, Thurston and Cronk.

“Exactly. And all those got opportunity through success for their states,” Meninga said, again pointing to the importance of this year’s Origin series.

It’s probably a point the players could use to help motivate them further after such a long and tough season isolated away from family in the ‘bubble’.

Who make the Kangaroos team in an unaffected season? Paul Crawley shares his verdict, and you can vote in the poll above to have your say.

FULLBACKS

Crawley’s verdict: Tedesco is the absolute standout but this list shows the competition among the current fullbacks is as strong as any era.

WINGERS Candidates: Josh Addo-Carr, Brett Morris, Nick Cotric, Daniel Tupou, Blake Ferguson, Dane Gagai, David Nofoaluma

Crawley’s verdict: Addo-Carr and Brett Morris get my vote but you could just as easily make a case for Cotric or Gagai on this year’s form.

CENTRES Candidates: Jack Wighton, Tom Trbojevic, Josh Morris, Jarrod Croker, Stephen Crichton, Kotoni Staggs

Crawley’s verdict: Wighton has to be in the team and if Tom Trbojevic is fit he picks himself. But on his form again this year Josh Morris still would not be out of place.

Crawley’s verdict: All have had fabulous seasons but Keary’s ability to play seven makes Munster the standout six.

HALFBACKS Candidates: Daly Cherry-Evans, Nathan Cleary, Luke Keary, Mitchell Moses, Adam Reynolds

Crawley’s verdict: This year’s Origin series will determine who gets the merit vote from Mal. But I couldn’t leave out a fit Keary.

PROPS Candidates: Josh Papalii, David Klemmer, Daniel Saifiti, Paul Vaughan, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo

Crawley’s verdict: Papalii is first picked and Klemmer probably next, especially given Parramatta’s recent drop in form. The other option would be to play Jake Trbojevic up front.

Crawley’s verdict: Cameron Smith would still be dummy half if he made himself available, otherwise Damien Cook’s recent revival secures his spot.

SECOND ROW Candidates: Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham, Felise Kaufusi, David Fifita, Liam Martin, Ryan Matterson

Crawley’s verdict: Cordner and Frizell have earned loyalty but you couldn’t go wrong with any of these.

Crawley’s verdict: The depth here with Jake, Cam Murray and Dale Finucane again explains why Penrith would struggle to get a player in a 17-man Australian Test squad.

F**k ‘em.

panthersam

Juniors
F**k ‘em.

Have to agree, just seems like another piece of journalism to put our achievements down and continue any vendetta they seem to have against our club.

So his logic is that Keary as a player and his form is good enough to make him the easy choice first halfback picked for Australia and automatically go past DCE in the pecking order, yet there is no way that he can put Cleary ahead of DCE because DCE is the incumbent when Cleary has been far and away the most dominant and best half in the NRL this year?

What’s the bet that when we win the Premiership all these journos make the complete U-turn and praise us to a sickly level like they have been backing us all along :joy:

The_Frog

First Grade
Will there even be an Australian team selected this year or will it be like the AFL's All Australian team. Pick a team, but don't play any matches?

Obviously the interstate series would decide. Trouble is we'll be flat out having more than a couple in that. Every likely NSW team I see is full of incumbents who've been ordinary in poorly performed sides. After Cleary and Koroisau, Capewell is next most likely to be selected for the series.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Will there even be an Australian team selected this year or will it be like the AFL's All Australian team. Pick a team, but don't play any matches?

Obviously the interstate series would decide. Trouble is we'll be flat out having more than a couple in that. Every likely NSW team I see is full of incumbents who've been ordinary in poorly performed sides. After Cleary and Koroisau, Capewell is next most likely to be selected for the series.
Real sports don't pick fake rep sides

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

If you look at the boys instagram accounts you that the struggle was and is real. That doco affected them all in a variety of ways.

Blacktown mayor used a good phrase when describing the doco 'poverty porn'.

age.s

First Grade
How much footy do you have to have not watched this year to put Tamou behind Vaughan? Has he been asleep since 2018? Also Paulo and RCG didn't put up any resistance on Friday, let's put an Australian jersey on them and send them back up against Fish. Should be good.

Plodner and Frizelle over Martin is purely on reputation too.

But whatever. Our team is young and stacked with foreigners. Just how its panned out.

Blues Riff

Bench

This article did my head in. I might have to take Api's lead myself, and block out the noise.

MORE NRL NEWS

FULLBACKS

Latest posts