What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

possm

Coach
If he is smart he will do 1-2 year stints under various styles of coaches
Then if he has good results he may be a good option
No matter what he does, he will be leaving the Dragons with a very bad win / loss % as an NRL coach.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No matter what he does, he will be leaving the Dragons with a very win / loss % as an NRL coach.
Has an interim coach ever finished with a positive win loss record though?

I can’t think of one..

Mjab

Juniors
Worse still from what I can see he is his father’s son.
Maybe not that bad
I used to see Fat Albert pretty much passed out at Peaky Pub the night before game day when he was coach

My mates and I would think , doesnt he have other important things to attend to day before game day

apparently not

I think he does have the lowest % win/loss for a coach at Dragons

Fcked that job
Recruitment
f**k that up

OH BOD instead

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe not that bad
I used to see Fat Albert pretty much passed out at Peaky Pub the night before game day when he was coach

My mates and I would think , doesnt he have other important things to attend to day before game day

apparently not

I think he does have the lowest % win/loss for a coach at Dragons

Fcked that job
Recruitment
f**k that up

OH BOD instead
Had my first beer in Peaky Pub in 1970
4 middies a game of back pool and change out of $1
Henry Tatana was a “bar useful” there for a few years shortly after that.

ALSGI

Bench
Watched yesterdays presser and I gotta say hats off to DY for deciding to leave and learn (especially with a year left on his contract). There’s plenty of trough feeders that wouldn’t have the balls to do that. Hopefully cuts the umbilical with club and Dad and makes a name for himself.

Good luck to him and his family.

Mjab

Juniors
Had my first beer in Peaky Pub in 1970
4 middies a game of back pool and change out of $1
Henry Tatana was a “bar useful” there for a few years shortly after that.

haven’t been down that way for many years
Does it still exist or taken over by unit blocks ?

denis preston

First Grade
Dont think his tenure as interim coach has done him any good at all. He doesn't appear to have learnt from game to game and it is just if Mcmuppett is still the coach but overseas and Dean is doing exactly what Mary wants. The good that has come about is for the club, we have dodged a mighty bullet.He has talked the talk but hasn't walked the walk.His continual bagging of the players can only last long enough before he must take some of the responsibility himself.

He needs to learn a hellava lot obviously and i hope that it isn't a given that he will end up here again as i'm not confident that he has a good coach in him.

possm

Coach
Unfortunately Young as a coach appears to be a clone of McGregor. Best he go learn under someone outside of StG.
And so what does Young decide to do? He wants to go and assist a rookie coach at either Newcastle or Townsville. I only hope his father chooses to join him.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I reckon you could have Jack Gibson as Head Coach, Wayne Bennett as his Assistant Coach with Harry Bath as game plan tactician, yet with our current forward pack & where they are in their development. plus our existing circumstances I really don’t believe they’d do much better.

Gareth67

First Grade
I reckon you could have Jack Gibson as Head Coach, Wayne Bennett as his Assistant Coach with Harry Bath as game plan tactician, yet with our current forward pack & where they are in their development. plus our existing circumstances I really don’t believe they’d do much better.

Agree Inisai , their combined talent would be wasted on our mob . If you had included a heart surgeon on your list , then I would say that those 3 greats of the game would taste success .

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
When I hear this, the same question always pops up. Based on what?

Suppressing the Dragons is their bottom line.
Resentment of our World Record 11 titles still rankles in their DNA.

Can't say I blame the general NRL fan base either (although McFail was SO insidious that I do believe we elicited much genuine sympathy from many).

Can you imagine if we had to suffer 11 Roosters' titles on the trot?
We'd happily keep a straight face and tell them Waterboy & his Clone were their best options.

Payten & Clone would seem to me to be polar opposites FFS
Weirdas

Kinda time someone else drew the short straw though

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Our forwards were dominant a seasons back but unfortunately the had the stuffing knocked of them with Mary's 'power game' style of play where the forwards did everything and the backs just stood around watching.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Our forwards were dominant a seasons back but unfortunately the had the stuffing knocked of them with Mary's 'power game' style of play where the forwards did everything and the backs just stood around watching.
Agree, but that was a few seasons back now and plenty of waters gone under that bridge; they are certainly not dominant now. Their defence up front is abysmal and until they build it back up (which i am optimistic that they can) I personally couldn’t see even the best coaches doing much better.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Dont think his tenure as interim coach has done him any good at all. He doesn't appear to have learnt from game to game and it is just if Mcmuppett is still the coach but overseas and Dean is doing exactly what Mary wants. The good that has come about is for the club, we have dodged a mighty bullet.He has talked the talk but hasn't walked the walk.His continual bagging of the players can only last long enough before he must take some of the responsibility himself.

He needs to learn a hellava lot obviously and i hope that it isn't a given that he will end up here again as i'm not confident that he has a good coach in him.

I agree, the Cowboys should renegotiate the salary in his contract if its not too late!

The only difference between he and Mary is the post game presser. Whilst Mary would try to find every stupid excuse he could, Dean just runs down the team/players and tries to talk a good game but then wash rinse and repeat same team sheet.

Can not wait to see him bugger off at the end of next week, good riddance.