What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Art Of Class War - The Monthly Article

Perth Red

Post Whore
No need to play ,your whining takes up too much of your time.
You are the one who complains incessantly about NRL H/O, because your club rightly or wrongly supposedly gets a "raw deal."
You bitch on about the NRL not doing this or that ,yet the code had around $25m in the bank prior to SL.That money could well have sustained extra teams before now including Perth.We had in fact more money then, than your beloved AFL.

I knew you'd come in with the irony gig LOL.
The difference between you and me, and I have stated many times my club was foolish to go to SL(but ATT it saved the club having attended the meeting),I don't spend my time bagging NRL admin without offering a solution as you do.
Your club didn't need saving, it was invited in to a comp with open arms.You told the hosts to shove it, because Rupert offered the green stuff.In fact the rl admin ATT had the Sharks in line for relocation.Go figure.

In addition my club had been in the comp for 28 years then, not a few months like your mob invited to a party then told the host to f... off. That's not excusing the act, that's the grim reality.

And I understand that the draining of our financial resources in 1995 put us in the continuing predicament the code has faced since, whereas you simply don't.And I appreciate the fact the NRL have been lenient at times with the Sharks despite sum dumb acts by management and players.

You criticise the NRL without offering solutions.The NRL at times deserves to be criticised, to suggest otherwise is fantasy land stuff.You even contradict your own criticism,seg with Greenberg.
The trouble is you criticise at times because you have a dislike for.....,because it's all about your club(and we have a fair idea of your agenda),you offer nothing in practical or financial solutions, and boot licking a certain code is not a solution .You're a naysayer who can't see the sunshine on a summer's day.
Have a nice day,I'll try my best to enjoy it.

28 years and no loyalty. In fact given drugs, salary cap, SL defection has there ever been as immoral a club as the sharks in the history of RL?

a better analogy would be you get invited to a party, find out when you get there that they want you to pay for your own drinks then get an invitee to party down the street with free strippers and coke.

I praise where it’s Earned and criticise where it’s deserving. Too bad you don’t like my opinions.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
One way is via the media, now the Vlandys and News Ltd are partners if the media stop attacking league and turn their attention to the under side of AFL which is way seeder then league it would sway sponsors our way.

yeh there’s no doubt the constant negativity and drama queens at the media dont help with the image of the game Or the public’s perception of it being a bogun sport. It’s bad enough when likes of bandana head down let alone nrl journos.
Mind you if players didn’t behave like tools then that would help.

taipan

Referee
28 years and no loyalty. In fact given drugs, salary cap, SL defection has there ever been as immoral a club as the sharks in the history of RL?

a better analogy would be you get invited to a party, find out when you get there that they want you to pay for your own drinks then get an invitee to party down the street with free strippers and coke.

I praise where it’s Earned and criticise where it’s deserving. Too bad you don’t like my opinions.

First of all mate in all my time on this site ,I have never stood up for any deeds the Sharks have done that are detrimental to the game.Get that into your grey matter.My views on Carney,the drugs,salary cap,Barba ,Bird have been spelt out ATT.

"No loyalty"LOL .If you're going to use that description for loyalty you can hit a number of clubs both within the NRL and your luvin code.It appears you have little idea of the history within the NSWRL/ARL and appears NRL
So the Storm are disloyal to the code, for the salary cap issues? The word is more like dishonour. or besmirch.

I've been following this code well before you came to these sunny shores to whine, and I can tell you stories that never made it to the media, because players were protected, as was the code, and so was your mob over the years. I witnessed one such event many years ago .

And your club in for a few months LOL.Imagine what they'd be like after 28 years, if that's the sort of appreciation after that short period.The comp barely started.

That's not an analogy ,that's a desperate out for you.You took the money and ran, and stuff the East Coast even though your club been there for a couple of months.And you adopt the same approach now.
Traditional clubs mean zilch to you.
If your mob were unaware of having to pay for travel and accommodation whatever, it says whoever the person in the West negotiated the deal for entry into the comp is worse than Moffett. Especially something as important as that.If the ARL changed the wording without telling the Reds, then you have an argument.

You praise SFA in the NRL, cut the utter crapola.The overwhelming messages displayed by you are dead set negative towards the game's admin, on occasions before a person has even warmed his chair.
Opinions I can handle and applaud, hence I have little to no conflict 99% of the time with others here.

I don't like agenda driven negativity that perpetually drives your commentary.Females who carry on like that are called Karens.Its' easy to criticise and not offer solutions.Because they simply don't have one.

We are going through a very sh*t time as a country despite your calling it no worse than the GFC, and I have seen and heard about a lot of good that has taken place, and conversely there has been some negatives taking place.The last thing I want to read is continual unstoppable negatives about a code I follow.That's where I'm coming from ,if it upsets your ego, go tell it to the Spartans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You've been told before, the problem was in adding an extra grade at the 11th hour and the extra costs that imposed on the Reds which was never factored in. I couldn't agree more though, the Reds were stupid for entering at any cost and should have told the ARL to stick it when they were told they would be expected to cover huge travel costs. Like your broke arse club, SL offered an opportunity for survival and they took it. Shame after 28 years the Sharks were still a basket case and had to jump ship, disloyalty from a home state club must have been hard to swallow. Equally a shame that Sharks were allowed back in to continue to sht on the game for another 25 years with their indiscretions.

First of all mate in all my time on this site ,I have never stood up for any deeds the Sharks have done that are detrimental to the game.Get that into your grey matter.My views on Carney,the drugs,salary cap,Barba ,Bird have been spelt out ATT.

"No loyalty"LOL .If you're going to use that description for loyalty you can hit a number of clubs both within the NRL and your luvin code.It appears you have little idea of the history within the NSWRL/ARL and appears NRL
So the Storm are disloyal to the code, for the salary cap issues? The word is more like dishonour. or besmirch.

I've been following this code well before you came to these sunny shores to whine, and I can tell you stories that never made it to the media, because players were protected, as was the code, and so was your mob over the years. I witnessed one such event many years ago .

And your club in for a few months LOL.Imagine what they'd be like after 28 years, if that's the sort of appreciation after that short period.The comp barely started.

That's not an analogy ,that's a desperate out for you.You took the money and ran, and stuff the East Coast even though your club been there for a couple of months.And you adopt the same approach now.
Traditional clubs mean zilch to you.
If your mob were unaware of having to pay for travel and accommodation whatever, it says whoever the person in the West negotiated the deal for entry into the comp is worse than Moffett. Especially something as important as that.If the ARL changed the wording without telling the Reds, then you have an argument.

You praise SFA in the NRL, cut the utter crapola.The overwhelming messages displayed by you are dead set negative towards the game's admin, on occasions before a person has even warmed his chair.
Opinions I can handle and applaud, hence I have little to no conflict 99% of the time with others here.

I don't like agenda driven negativity that perpetually drives your commentary.Females who carry on like that are called Karens.Its' easy to criticise and not offer solutions.Because they simply don't have one.

We are going through a very sh*t time as a country despite your calling it no worse than the GFC, and I have seen and heard about a lot of good that has taken place, and conversely there has been some negatives taking place.The last thing I want to read is continual unstoppable negatives about a code I follow.That's where I'm coming from ,if it upsets your ego, go tell it to the Spartans.
The bloke behind the West Coast Pirates bid, Peter Cumins, was involved in the Western Reds venture. Perth Red is super critical of everyone in the NRL and the Brisbane bids, yet he never holds Cumins to account for being part of the Reds venture that went bust and needed News Ltd to bail them out after their first season.

I'm far from convinced that a new team in Perth would fare any better than the Reds. It would require a lot of investment just to survive. I don't think the player base in the heartland areas is deep enough to prop up the Storm and the Pirates without having an adverse effect on the east coast teams. Perth Red can whine all night long about the code being insular for not giving him what he wants, but at the end of the day the 16 NRL clubs, QRL and NSWRL will not and cannot accept a Perth based team that puts their future in jeopardy.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I cannot see high-end sponsors with strong ties to the upper class giving us the time of day. They're narrow-minded bigots who view RL as a game for the underprivileged people they despise.

That can be changed as it was under the leadership of Quayle and Arko....until our friends at News Ltd decided to get involved.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The bloke behind the West Coast Pirates bid, Peter Cumins, was involved in the Western Reds venture. Perth Red is super critical of everyone in the NRL and the Brisbane bids, yet he never holds Cumins to account for being part of the Reds venture that went bust and needed News Ltd to bail them out after their first season.

I'm far from convinced that a new team in Perth would fare any better than the Reds. It would require a lot of investment just to survive. I don't think the player base in the heartland areas is deep enough to prop up the Storm and the Pirates without having an adverse effect on the east coast teams. Perth Red can whine all night long about the code being insular for not giving him what he wants, but at the end of the day the 16 NRL clubs, QRL and NSWRL will not and cannot accept a Perth based team that puts their future in jeopardy.

Things have changed since 95 Rl is far more professional. For example compare Souths of 1995 to Souths of today.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
True it does, but the grant the clubs get from TV rights is massive compared to 95. Perth wouldn't have to fly over 55 players and staff. Forget Adelaide, if anything put them in a NSW Cup comp or something similar or an under 20s competition.
Whilst Perth would find it harder for the corporate dollar now that Fremantle are also competing with them. Perth has an appetite for league if the Storm can compete with 10 AFL clubs in a city with virtually zero history in the game I'm sure Perth could.
Perth is expected to push past Brisbane as the third largest populated city in Australia by 2034.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
AFL is slowly strangling League in this country and it's got everyone on it's side to do so. You're right that AFL is a terrible unexciting sport though, League should be wiping the floor with it. Sadly the powers that be want League to shrink and become a minor sport shown only on a foxtel channel with a dwindling audience just like RU. I have grave fears for this sport and V'landys doesn't fill me with any confidence.
Agree.

mongoose

Coach
I wouldn't say AFL is an unexciting sport....it has hundreds of thousands of passionate supporters....it has what league once had the contest for possession which makes it unpredictable.

That contest for the ball is often ugly as hell though. The fighting over the ball on the ground like seagulls fighting over a chip is bad to watch. Honestly some of the rusted on supporters of that code must cringe watching that, like rusted on league fans cringe over the wrestling. At least there is some technique to the wrestling though....

Perth Red

Post Whore
That contest for the ball is often ugly as hell though. The fighting over the ball on the ground like seagulls fighting over a chip is bad to watch. Honestly some of the rusted on supporters of that code must cringe watching that, like rusted on league fans cringe over the wrestling. At least there is some technique to the wrestling though....

I think we can surmise by popularity that the quality of the product doesnt have much to do with it. Most popular restaurant in Australia, McDonalds. Most popular sport in world, soccer, most popular sport in Australia AFL. Superiority of product means nothing if you dont engage and grow your customer base, offer them what they want and market the hell of out of your product. Check out the betamax v VHS battle were the inferior product won through.

I have a theory that AFL and scocer are so popular as its more fun as a kid to kick a ball around than it is to stand and pass it backward and forward!

Below is taken from this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/7c0885de302e2a905dc2b5a80d452dc0) -

However V’landys couldn’t resist a hilarious dig at the AFL over their ambitious bid to bring new fans to the game when asked if he had sympathy for the rival code having to shift the biggest game of the season.

“Zero (sympathy). On that subject, while they’re in Brisbane, it’s like people going to an ABBA concert when they’re AC/DC fans,” V’landys said on Channel 9’s TODAY.

“They’ll like the rhythm for a while, but they’ll go back to the real heavy stuff, the rugba league.”

Perth Red

Post Whore
not quite as good as his obscure feeding meat to vegetarians nonsense, but not far off. Why am I not surprised he used two music references from decades ago, sums him up really.

True it does, but the grant the clubs get from TV rights is massive compared to 95. Perth wouldn't have to fly over 55 players and staff. Forget Adelaide, if anything put them in a NSW Cup comp or something similar or an under 20s competition.
Whilst Perth would find it harder for the corporate dollar now that Fremantle are also competing with them. Perth has an appetite for league if the Storm can compete with 10 AFL clubs in a city with virtually zero history in the game I'm sure Perth could.
Perth is expected to push past Brisbane as the third largest populated city in Australia by 2034.
That population projection was based on immigration trends during the mining boom in WA. The latest projections show Brisbane remaining Australia's 3rd largest city and growing at a faster rate than Perth.

The population for Greater Perth is projected to increase from 2.0 million at 30 June 2017 to between 2.3 million (series 52) and 2.4 million (series 3) in 2027. Series A, B and C project population growth over the whole projection period, with series A increasing to 4.3 million in 2066, series B increasing to 4.0 million and series C increasing to 3.7 million.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3222.0Main Features102017 (base) - 2066?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=2017 (base) - 2066&num=&view=

89DAE122-4B57-4CEB-8E36-5726EDB69451.gif

Greater Brisbane is projected to grow from 2.4 million in 2017 to between 2.9 million (series B and C) and 3.0 million (series A) in 2027. The rest of Queensland is projected to grow from 2.5 million to between 2.8 million (series C) and 2.9 million (series A and B) in 2027.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3222.0Main Features82017 (base) - 2066?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=2017 (base) - 2066&num=&view=

F388E6B5-BECE-40EB-8845-018910ACE4A4.gif

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Somehow I don't think your argument stacks up, crowds for example will tell you that.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
That population projection was based on immigration trends during the mining boom in WA. The latest projections show Brisbane remaining Australia's 3rd largest city and growing at a faster rate than Perth.

The population for Greater Perth is projected to increase from 2.0 million at 30 June 2017 to between 2.3 million (series 52) and 2.4 million (series 3) in 2027. Series A, B and C project population growth over the whole projection period, with series A increasing to 4.3 million in 2066, series B increasing to 4.0 million and series C increasing to 3.7 million.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3222.0Main Features102017 (base) - 2066?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=2017 (base) - 2066&num=&view=

View attachment 42081

Greater Brisbane is projected to grow from 2.4 million in 2017 to between 2.9 million (series B and C) and 3.0 million (series A) in 2027. The rest of Queensland is projected to grow from 2.5 million to between 2.8 million (series C) and 2.9 million (series A and B) in 2027.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3222.0Main Features82017 (base) - 2066?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=2017 (base) - 2066&num=&view=

View attachment 42080

Fair enough, however Perth's population is still growing.