What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Also Ran XIII

Fangs

Coach
1 - Tuivasa Sheck
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Staggs
4 - Lomax
5 - Talau
6 - Marshall
7 - Taylor
8 - Haas
9 - Grant
10 - Toiler Tolman
11 - Sironen
12 - Frizell
13 - Big Jake (C)

jim_57

Staff member
1. RTS
2. Nofoaluma
3. Staggs
4. Lomax
5. Thompson
6. Fogarty
7. DCE
8. Fotuaika
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Harris
13. Taumalolo

14. Brimson
15. J Trbojevic
16. McInnes
17. Twal

Grapple

Bench
1 - Tuivasa Sheck
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Staggs
4 - Doueihi
5 - Tabuai-Fidow
6 - Fogarty
7 - DCE
8 - Haas
9 - Grant
10 - Taunoa-Brown
11 - J. Jackson
12 - L.Leilua
13 - T.Harris

14. Dufty
15. Taupau
16. Taumalolo
17. J. Trbojevic

Coach: Mary Seibold Kearney-Green.

If you're picking a team (based on form) from teams 9-16, what it is?

1- Tuivasa Sheck
2- Nofoaluma
3- Staggs
4- Hiku
5- Feldt
6- Marshall
7- Fogarty
8- Haas
9- Grant
10- Fotuaika
11- Fifita
12- Harris
13- Arrow

Id have this with Lomax instead of Hiku, and Trbjjvcjvc at lock.

Meth

Staff member
I know we've had Covid this season but there seems to be more "off-season" type threads while the comp's been going this year :joy:

this thread makes sense now IMO. The top 8 is settled and we’re waiting around for the finals

but always good to get your take

10$ Ferret

Staff member
How anyone can pick Staggs in anything except the worst team of the year is beyond me.
Sure he can run around looking wonderful for 5 mins in a game but he is honestly one of the worst players in the game at the moment, Not only can the guy not tackle his positional play is attrocious

I reckon you could pick a best 13 of players from teams 4 to 16 and it still wouldn’t beat any of the top 3 sides. Such is the gulf in talent this year between the top 3 and the rest.

How anyone can pick Staggs in anything except the worst team of the year is beyond me.
Sure he can run around looking wonderful for 5 mins in a game but he is honestly one of the worst players in the game at the moment, Not only can the guy not tackle his positional play is attrocious

Have to agree with you. Staggs defence is so bad, by comparison, he makes Jamie Soward look like the second coming of David Gillespie.

Eelementary

Post Whore
1. Gutherson
2. Sivo
3. Jennings
4. Blake
5. Ferguson
6. Field
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. RCG
11. Matterson
12. Lane
13. Brown

14. Stone
15. Niukore
16. Evans
17. Kaufusi

That's an also ran 17 right there... Only injury keeping Dylan Brown out...

Dude - the thread is about "also rans", not "never, ever - haha not in a million years rans"...

nick87

Coach
I reckon you could pick a best 13 of players from teams 4 to 16 and it still wouldn’t beat any of the top 3 sides. Such is the gulf in talent this year between the top 3 and the rest.

You give this Raiders team T.Trbojevic at fullback, Latrell at centre and Grant at hooker and i think they'd win the comp.
You could do the same exercise with the Rabbitohs and Knights... you'd only need 3-5 players to turn those teams into juggernauts

But ignoring these fanciful hypotheticals, with the teams being what they are, its nearly impossible for me to conjure a way for a team outside the top 3 to win the comp. They're head and shoulders above the others