What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Newcastle

be55

Juniors
How Illawarra’ish can you get lol

The rising 28 year old journeyman and 4 game veteran of the club recovering from injury is somehow seen as a better option than the youth we just heralded to all and sundry after extending his contract due to his great potential.

It must be hard for you Illawarra people to understand anything about development as you were the quintessential home of hacks and journeymen and of course late development players like Mc Gregor.

Blooding the kid means showing confidence in the fact that you think he can do a job for the team and in the case of a centre that would entail being in the run on side and not the bench where you will only get a run only if someone is hurt or f**ks up or I decide you get 5 minutes if @blooding”

And heaven forbid that we could ever contemplate having 2 debutants in the 1 game when we could do them so much more sensibly 1 week apart FMD talk about living in fear.

Our club needs a renaissance and it doesn’t sit in the hands of the likes of Williame & Norman.

Time to come out of the dark ages down Wollongong way and stand in the light of a new dawn.
Ouch...wait till he reads that...he'll be foaming at the mouth...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Youngy has excelled himself by picking the worst combination of players possible,injuries notwithstanding,

Williame has not played since Round 4. If you're going to finally punt Aitken why would you not either give Feagai his debut or move Fuimaono to the centres? Ford was a turnstile last week defending on the edge and now he is named as a middle forward, where he is in no way likely to plug the holes in our Swiss cheese defense. Unless Host is injured he should be somewhere in this 17. He's been an effective defender and consistently makes good yards. Maybe that's not what we're about...

And the prospect of seeing the Norman/Hunt halves "combination" go around again hardly fills me with optimism. No sign of Sailor - who has played his heart out when given the chance - and the token selection of Blacker and Sullivan (neither of whom Young would have any intention of playing) on the extended bench is just plain insulting to both of them and all of us.

Roll on 2021.
After listening to Young’s logic I kind of agree with him. He picked Feagai because Aitken was not 100% and was there for backup. May not have even got any minutes. He doesn’t want to throw Feagai in against the potent Newcastle outside backs so early in his career and late in the season having not even played. Wiliame will not be match fit but is the more solid option of the two, it’s a win win for me because with Aitken he probably wouldn’t have a got a run unless injury struck but with Wiliame he may get 10-20 minutes. Enough to get a feel for the physicality. Wiliame is a good player anyway he pushed Aitken to reserves until he got injured and had he not been injured there could have been a whole lot more tries scored down that flank.

ALSGI

Bench
Hopefully there’s some advertising at the Newcastle ground like the girlies in the tight pants on the top of this page and the Knights are all distracted.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Ouch...wait till he reads that...he'll be foaming at the mouth...

Sadly McDaze always had
an alarmingly observable IQ deficit every Tuesday at 4pm, at every 20 minute interval in games & whenever he found proximity to a microphone

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
I'm not sure how wanting a promising junior to get more than a 5 minute run is the equivalent of wanting half the under 20s team to replace the first grade team, mate. You seem to be drawing a very long bow with that conclusion.

Every great player starts out as a rookie and the only way to truly judge whether or not a player belongs in first grade is to give them a fair go, which I would say as a back line player is an 80 minute game and as a forward is at least 25-30 mins.

The consistent approach taken by Mary and DY has been to put a debutant on the bench and give them 5-10 mins of game time, there have been a few exceptions, but that's all.

How can we install a sense of belief and confidence in our young guns if we only give them 5 mins and 5 games in between to try and impress? All it does is make them feel undervalued and by doing so, encourages them to look elsewhere for opportunities.
Nailed it!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm not sure how wanting a promising junior to get more than a 5 minute run is the equivalent of wanting half the under 20s team to replace the first grade team, mate. You seem to be drawing a very long bow with that conclusion.
You must be new here.

Nearly every second suggested team list after we lose a game contains names of juniors that are either “our future” or been talked up in here, but are no where near ready for grade.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Exactly mate and then we see them at another club playing well and we wonder how we lost them.
Out of curiosity, which juniors have we lost that are currently out there playing well for another club?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
How Illawarra’ish can you get lol

The rising 28 year old journeyman and 4 game veteran of the club recovering from injury is somehow seen as a better option than the youth we just heralded to all and sundry after extending his contract due to his great potential.

It must be hard for you Illawarra people to understand anything about development as you were the quintessential home of hacks and journeymen and of course late development players like Mc Gregor.

Blooding the kid means showing confidence in the fact that you think he can do a job for the team and in the case of a centre that would entail being in the run on side and not the bench where you will only get a run only if someone is hurt or f**ks up or I decide you get 5 minutes of blooding at the very end of the game.

And heaven forbid that we could ever contemplate having 2 debutants in the 1 game when we could do them so much more sensibly 1 week apart FMD talk about living in fear.

Our club needs a renaissance and it doesn’t sit in the hands of the likes of Williame & Norman.

Time to come out of the dark ages down Wollongong way and stand in the light of a new dawn.
You use the word Illawarra as if it’s an insult.

The only people who are insulted by the word Illawarra are St George people who feel threatened by success.

redv13

Bench
You must be new here.

Nearly every second suggested team list after we lose a game contains names of juniors that are either “our future” or been talked up in here, but are no where near ready for grade.
Hope you cheer nice and loud for Williame who has played 4 games for us. You’re such a wet blanket. Put the bloody kid in and let him celebrate his 1st grade debut properly, none of this 10 min shit from the bench when the game is done and dusted.

be55

Juniors
Out of curiosity, which juniors have we lost that are currently out there playing well for another club?
Reece Robson...and what he's done this year will be the tip of the iceberg compared to what he does in the future...be careful mate, it won't be long until he's a rep player and you'll really be eating those words...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Reece Robson...and what he's done this year will be the tip of the iceberg compared to what he does in the future...be careful mate, it won't be long until he's a rep player and you'll really be eating those words...
No words to be eaten.

I asked who’s currently out there doing well.

Robson is still in the “potential” star category, he hasn’t made it yet.

Crush

Coach
Reckon he's a better hooker than McInnes?
Better than Hunt?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hope you cheer nice and loud for Williame who has played 4 games for us. You’re such a wet blanket. Put the bloody kid in and let him celebrate his 1st grade debut properly, none of this 10 min shit from the bench when the game is done and dusted.
Why do you think it will only be 10 minutes? Seems like you’re the wet blanket if that’s how you see things.

I’m of the opinion that it had always been Young’s strategy that at some point he’d move Sullivan into the halves and have Feagai play on the wing, not the centres.

And when he does that move, how good would it be to see one Steelers junior set up the other one for his own try on debut?

redv13

Bench
Why do you think it will only be 10 minutes? Seems like you’re the wet blanket if that’s how you see things.

I’m of the opinion that it had always been Young’s strategy that at some point he’d move Sullivan into the halves and have Feagai play on the wing, not the centres.

And when he does that move, how good would it be to see one Steelers junior set up the other one for his own try on debut?
Having you been watching the same games as everyone else over the last 2 years?? Bench rotation has been rubbish and even under DY it’s been 15 players, 1 on with 10-15 to go and 1 between 0-8 mins.

be55

Juniors
No words to be eaten.

I asked who’s currently out there doing well.

Robson is still in the “potential” star category, he hasn’t made it yet.
Well mate if you concede that he is in the ''potential star" category surely you would have to admit he is doing well, which is what you asked for. I'd think muzby you would have to admit that his form out of dummy half this year for the Cowboys would ,at least, put him in the "doing well" category wouldn't you say...