What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Newcastle

getsmarty

Immortal
Knights find some pre-finals form to thump dismal Dragons who ‘wouldn’t have beaten Dapto’
NRL Premiership
simon_brunsdon.jpg

48ee21c2d7dc3351bb3be749db06420e

Newcastle's Kalyn Ponga celebrates after scoring a try.Source: News Corp Australia
Newcastle has bounced back into some impressive pre-finals form by putting a seven-try thumping on St George Illawarra who just want the season to end.

A week after being embarrassed by the high-flying Roosters and challenged by coach Adam O’Brien, the Knights won 42-18 on Old Boys’ Day in the Hunter.

Kalyn Ponga returned from a week’s rest to score a try and assist in two others, along with five tackle busts and two linebreak assists.

The Knights are guaranteed a spot in the top eight but their title credentials came into question after last week’s heavy loss.

Round 19
Sunday’s result will go some way to ensuring fans the Hunter side can at least be competitive come October.

Dragons coach Dean Young lamented a lack of effort, particularly in defence.

“We wouldn’t have beaten Dapto the way we played in the first half. It was Under 8s stuff,” Young said.

“They made 60-something tackles and we made 410. That’s not an excuse, we’re much better than that and the players know that.

“When you let in soft tries it’s sort of a reflection what the game means to you. Have we had enough, or are we sitll really wanting to fight to the death?"

Ponga took less than four minutes to find the tryline against Dragons, finding space and a pass from Chris Randall to go over under the posts.

The Knights were in again only minutes later when Gehemat Shibasaki produced some mid-air magic to snatch the ball and come down on the goal line.

The conversion made it 12-0 and the game wasn’t even 10 minutes old.

Then Ponga was in the action again when he put Aidan Guerra over in the 23rd minute to extend the lead.

Some soft as butter Dragons defence let Daniel Saifiti fall through the middle of them and make the score 24-0 after 27 minutes.

The Dragons finally got some points on the board when Zac Lomax scored and converted his own try to make it 24-6.

Newcastle hit back in quick time when Enari Tuala capitalised on a Red V error to get their fifth try.

It was 30-6 at the break.

Newcastle started the second half hot and Jacob Saifiti extended the lead in the 52nd minute.

The Dragons got one back when rookie winger Cody Ramsey broke away down the sideline and passed inside to Corey Norman who made it to the line.

The Knights went in again when Tuala scored his second and Mason Lino converted to make it 42-12.

Lomax got one back for the Dragons as a late consolation but it was far too little, far too late.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/fe96cf48848ca4f6fc0278ed45caaa9e

George Dragon

Juniors
Ford is a left backrower, who needs time in the position and some halves that can find him running lines. Give him another off season and a chance to build a combo and he will go well, he’s suffering Lomax syndrome or should I say Mary syndrome. Lawrie was our best forward by far. He needs a forward leader to develop behind. Vaughan is not cutting it this season, he must be really missing his game day latte.
20200920_191524.jpg

TruSaint

Referee
Knights find some pre-finals form to thump dismal Dragons who ‘wouldn’t have beaten Dapto’
NRL Premiership
simon_brunsdon.jpg

48ee21c2d7dc3351bb3be749db06420e

Newcastle's Kalyn Ponga celebrates after scoring a try.Source: News Corp Australia
Newcastle has bounced back into some impressive pre-finals form by putting a seven-try thumping on St George Illawarra who just want the season to end.

A week after being embarrassed by the high-flying Roosters and challenged by coach Adam O’Brien, the Knights won 42-18 on Old Boys’ Day in the Hunter.

Kalyn Ponga returned from a week’s rest to score a try and assist in two others, along with five tackle busts and two linebreak assists.

The Knights are guaranteed a spot in the top eight but their title credentials came into question after last week’s heavy loss.

Round 19
Sunday’s result will go some way to ensuring fans the Hunter side can at least be competitive come October.

Dragons coach Dean Young lamented a lack of effort, particularly in defence.

“We wouldn’t have beaten Dapto the way we played in the first half. It was Under 8s stuff,” Young said.

“They made 60-something tackles and we made 410. That’s not an excuse, we’re much better than that and the players know that.

“When you let in soft tries it’s sort of a reflection what the game means to you. Have we had enough, or are we sitll really wanting to fight to the death?"

Ponga took less than four minutes to find the tryline against Dragons, finding space and a pass from Chris Randall to go over under the posts.

The Knights were in again only minutes later when Gehemat Shibasaki produced some mid-air magic to snatch the ball and come down on the goal line.

The conversion made it 12-0 and the game wasn’t even 10 minutes old.

Then Ponga was in the action again when he put Aidan Guerra over in the 23rd minute to extend the lead.

Some soft as butter Dragons defence let Daniel Saifiti fall through the middle of them and make the score 24-0 after 27 minutes.

The Dragons finally got some points on the board when Zac Lomax scored and converted his own try to make it 24-6.

Newcastle hit back in quick time when Enari Tuala capitalised on a Red V error to get their fifth try.

It was 30-6 at the break.

Newcastle started the second half hot and Jacob Saifiti extended the lead in the 52nd minute.

The Dragons got one back when rookie winger Cody Ramsey broke away down the sideline and passed inside to Corey Norman who made it to the line.

The Knights went in again when Tuala scored his second and Mason Lino converted to make it 42-12.

Lomax got one back for the Dragons as a late consolation but it was far too little, far too late.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/fe96cf48848ca4f6fc0278ed45caaa9e

Rubbish.

We would have beaten Dapto........................................................................................................................................................
in extra time.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I was disappointed with Wiliame, I do rate him. Had a bad night, he hasn’t played since round 4 though I suppose to be fair.

So how do you feel now about saying you understood Williame getting a go over Feagai?

Any talented youngsters would do better than the shit the experienced players are tossing up at the moment and I hope that's now clear as daylight for you to see mate.

Crush

Coach
Is there anyone who still thinks Hunt is "a fine player"?
"He's good enough for QLD so he's good enough for us"?
I'm so far done with him its not funny.
I actually think he should just be cut loose at end of this season.
Norman same boat.
Accept it, cop the salary cap pain and move forward.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
So how do you feel now about saying you understood Williame getting a go over Feagai?

Any talented youngsters would do better than the shit the experienced players are tossing up at the moment and I hope that's now clear as daylight for you to see mate.
Yeah I wouldn’t object to Feagai being picked next week but I could see the logic in how Young went. Didn’t go to plan.

Old Timer

Coach
Take aways from todays train wreck
  1. Evidently there is nobody in our club capable of teaching the correct way to set and maintain a defensive line.
  2. Williame & Fuimaono are complete myths and are just road blocks.
  3. Ford needs to do an awful lot of work on his defence.
  4. Lomax is trying to do his own defence plus that of some lazy and ineffective team mates and causes him to be caught out of position on occasions.
  5. Vaughan is either badly out of favour or has checked out.
  6. Norman & Hunt as halves generate no speed around the ruck for our attack. The last 15 minutes or so of today's game showed what a difference it makes to have speed in and around the ruck as we looked half ways decent because we finally had some bodies in motion.
  7. None of our fledgling players are going to be immune from mistakes. However watching them grow into their positions will be far more enjoyable than watching some of the shit ordinary stuff served up by so called "senior" players.
  8. We don't have 1 forward capable of turning a game on its head.
  9. The total impotence of our team is beyond comprehension and to think we can be so bad at the basics of this game is a very sad realisation for the fans and it is to be hoped that we will see significant improvement by CS time if only in respect of all the 1%'ers.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
This season I have been super critical of our backs. I still think its a poor backline overall. However, the past months have shown me that our forwards are also due for criticism. Name me one forward that threatens the line, has an offload, intimidates in defence ?

Then there is the halves. I am willing to give Clune some time. Norman has lost me, and sorry to say, Hunt isn't far behind.

We have a lot of work to do.

Bottom line, the squad needs massive overall. It's not a 1-2 year fix IMHO.
Spot on bud......unfortunately Griffin alone wont fix this mob as it stands today...at least 6 new players need to be added to this roster for starters....tbh they dont need to be super stars but be players that are willing to put their body on the line for the Red V.....you dont have to be Einstein to work out that on close observation 1 bloke will be having a real go and 4 wont.....or 2 blokes will be having a crack and 5 wont and so on......if you look at teams like The Roosters or The Storm for example its rare if at all that all 17 players are not playing their guts out for one another......our problem started when McGregor was appointed and our blokes knew that they wouldnt be dropped or dragged over the coals for repeated piss poor efforts on the field....you can have all the structures, set plays and game management that you wont, but if you dont have player management, discipline and selection based on performance you may as well go piss in the wind

possm

Coach
What is Young doing our team?

He sit down and work something out for next wee, Tonight both Feagai and Ramsey id a reasonable job and so I believe with an off season under their belt they will fit in fine next season. What really surprised me was the way Lomax slipped into Hunt's position, he is truly a versitile player.

There are so many of our players beyond the possibility of persorming at first grade standard and although a few backs will come in to fill the gaps, we badly need a more robust fullback in our team.

I would love to see the likes of Dufty, Saab, Sailor, Pereira, Williame, Norman, Hunt, Laurie, Ellis, K Sims and Merrin be moved on at the end of this season. We already have Frizell, Aitken and Lafai leaving to play with other clubs. We need a big cleanout to make things right at the Dragons.

I'd love us to bring in some bright young talent with a sprinkling of experience.

• For 2021, I'd like to see:
  • Fullback - RTS or even JAC
  • Wingers - Ramsey and Feagai
  • Centres - Lomax and Feagai
  • Five-Eight - Maloney
  • Halfback - Sullivan
  • Lock - JDB if we're lucky
  • Edge Forwards - T Sims, a new recruit, Ford
  • Props - Vaughan, Welch, McGuire, Pangai Jr, Big O.
  • Hookers - McInnes and a new recruit
Griffin and his coaching staff have a big job ahead of him and I believe a big cleanout is needed in order to start on the right foot.

blacksafake

First Grade
To be honest I’m not surprised by today’s performance.
The coaching staff have all been moved on & rightly so & along with Young throwing his toys out of the cot this week I reckon some of the players are well & truly looking for the season to end.
The blooding of more younger players has been needed over the last month in order to try & bring some enthusiasm to the squad regardless of results. If you thought today was bad just wait until next week, especially with Bellamy being disappointed in the storms defence.It will be brutal with the storm preparing for the semis.

hazzbeen

Bench
Is there anyone who still thinks Hunt is "a fine player"?
"He's good enough for QLD so he's good enough for us"?
I'm so far done with him its not funny.
I actually think he should just be cut loose at end of this season.
Norman same boat.
Accept it, cop the salary cap pain and move forward.
Its always easier playing with a good team and players .... Put any player in this team for 5 years under Marys coaching and see how that goes ..... I do hear you mate they need a total clean out ....

Banjo2014

Juniors
After the first twenty minutes I turned to Banjo (6 years old) and said it's all your fault.

Little bastard replies

You asked for the remote
You turned the football on
You knew they were going to lose
You keep watching it

You're the one to blame

At least he was wearing his Dragons jersey

Gareth67

First Grade
Well I have only now awoken from my Sunday arvo beauty nap . I am ever so pleased to see that our beloved mighty Dragons held the Knights to a respectable draw in the second half .

What a damn shame that the result of a game is not decided upon the second half score line only .

Ooops ! There goes that Mary philosophy again , I just cannot seem to get it out of my head . So can you imagine what horrific injuries have been done to the players minds after 7 years of it .

Little wonder that they wander around the field like a pack of bovine sheep .

Time to get the trusty 303 caliber out Hook and put some of them out off their misery .

Last edited: