What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Generalzod

Immortal
Against my political beliefs, I ended up paying the $30 to watch Mulan tonight. I've been a bit of a grumpy bear around the house the last two weeks and my wife was obsessed with the movie as a kid.

While I can't reconcile its star's bullshit opinions on HK, the movie itself was decent. Gorgeously shot, some fun action sequences, and a decent enough plot. Not something I would necessarily rewatch, but a solid 6.5/10.
I’ll wait for the 4th Dec...the trailer looks great.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I’ll wait for the 4th Dec...the trailer looks great.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. Upon further reflection, I realized that it was basically a Marvel movie without any of the plot or character development. It is painfully evident that it had an all white writing team, as it is full of cliches and cultural inaccuracies that feel all the more glaring when you read a Chinese person's perspective on the film.

Honestly, my initial gripe was with its lead actress being a shameless CCP apologist, but now that I learn that they also filmed extensively in Xinjiang mere miles from detention camps, I wish I could get a refund.

Generalzod

Immortal
Prepare to be underwhelmed. Upon further reflection, I realized that it was basically a Marvel movie without any of the plot or character development. It is painfully evident that it had an all white writing team, as it is full of cliches and cultural inaccuracies that feel all the more glaring when you read a Chinese person's perspective on the film.

Honestly, my initial gripe was with its lead actress being a shameless CCP apologist, but now that I learn that they also filmed extensively in Xinjiang mere miles from detention camps, I wish I could get a refund.
Rumour has it that most people weren’t streaming it maybe due to protest over the Corona virus...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Rumour has it that most people weren’t streaming it maybe due to protest over the Corona virus...

My initial desire to avoid it was solely because of the lead actresses' very vocal support of the Hong Kong police, but my wife is a huge fan of the original and was desperate to see it.

Now that it has also come out that they were indirectly supporting the very organisation responsible for forced sterilizations and mass incarceration, we're both regretting it.

Having both been to Xinjiang and met the people there, it's absolutely disgusting what the Chinese are doing there.

bileduct

Coach
Cuties.

Conservative are going apeshit over this, so it immediately got my attention.

Ironically the arguments that conservatives are making about this film (without actually watching it) seem to be the exact same arguments being made by the people who made the film.

10/10 on the moral panic meter.

8/10 for the movie.

azzah72

Bench
Bill and Ted face the music.

I had a lot of fun with it.

It has the same goofy, positive charm of the first two with some genuine laughs.

Great vibe of movie especially for these times.

Not as good as the first two but honestly not that far behind.

The daughters are great.

7/10

Matua

Bench

Setting aside the politics I thought it was an ok switch of the brain popcorn movie. I've never seen the animated version so really didn't know what to expect so was quite pleased it was basically a war/fighting movie.

Smack

Coach
watching the outpost and cringing at orlando bloom's dog shit american accent, it's killing the movie

azzah72

Bench
Watched 'The Way Back' - a ben Affleck movie that came out a bees dick before covid and I don;t think went well.

It was actually a good little movie directed by Gavin O'connor who did warrior and the accountant.

Affleck was very good and its a good little drama.

Basically Ben is a down in the dumps former basketball player who is falling into alcoholism, who is asked by the local high school to come in as their new coach.

Run of the mill set up but it its well acted and doesn't hit the cliches you'd expect.

Matua

Bench
Watched 'The Way Back' - a ben Affleck movie that came out a bees dick before covid and I don;t think went well.

It was actually a good little movie directed by Gavin O'connor who did warrior and the accountant.

Affleck was very good and its a good little drama.

Basically Ben is a down in the dumps former basketball player who is falling into alcoholism, who is asked by the local high school to come in as their new coach.

Run of the mill set up but it its well acted and doesn't hit the cliches you'd expect.
I think this was the last movie I saw before Tenet.

Decent film and Affleck on good form (although I've always found him a bit underrated as an actor).

azzah72

Bench
I think this was the last movie I saw before Tenet.

Decent film and Affleck on good form (although I've always found him a bit underrated as an actor).

Yeah, I like Affleck, always have.

The accountant was a great little movie. It think it really should have got the hype that John Wick deservedly got.

It could honestly be a just as good franchise.

The Devil all The Time .
A Netflix pic set around the 1950s in America .
Devout Religious folk & a serial killer couple who's paths cross is the setting .
Very well made ..good Drama.
Jason Clarke as usual is very good .
Worth a watch as I think it captures the stupidity of the devout religious types back then .
7/10

Zoidberg

First Grade
Joe versus the volcano. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in a strange comedy adventure, I saw this many years ago but I remembered very little of it. Pretty cheesy now but still bit of a feel good movie with a few goofy laughs. Plus 1990 Meg Ryan is smoking.

YoHadrian

Juniors
Joe versus the volcano. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in a strange comedy adventure, I saw this many years ago but I remembered very little of it. Pretty cheesy now but still bit of a feel good movie with a few goofy laughs. Plus 1990 Meg Ryan is smoking.

If smoking Meg Ryan floats your boat then see In The Cut an R rated crime thriller with Mark Ruffalo. That girl next door rom com image goes completely out the window.

mongoose

Coach
The Lighthouse - arty psychological horror movie with Willem Dafoe and Rob Pattinson, its in black and white and shot in a narrow aspect like a very old movie. It's weird and crazy as hell.... If you're into stuff like that then its worth watching

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
da 5 bloods

0/10
Yep, i didnt think somone could a worse job to try and stay culturally relevant than kevin smith did in the latest jay and silent sequel but spike lee has outdone him.

Should have been a good story buy having a script of "some dribble...BLOOD!!!, some mire dribble....BLOOD!!.......BLOOD" reminded me if mario on the footy show just constantly yelling "FAT!!...HEY FAT!!!....FATT!!!"

Sad seeing chadwick go out with this one

Wizardman

First Grade

I saw an even older Tom Hanks movie yesterday....Bachelor Party. I rewatched it after many years and absolutely love the crudeness of it all. Hard to believe that same guy would win multiple Oscars years later. In saying that, he was very good and funny back then.

I recognized many B grade celebs in this....Michael Dudikoff off American Ninja (guilty pleasure for me), Adrian Zmed off Grease 2 and a young but very cute Tawney Kitean (hot chick in the Whitesnake clips). Crude, tits and ass and police academy style gag jokes 80s comedy revelled in....loved it.

On the other side of the coin, I watched the original "Poltergeist" for the first time last night. Apart from one scene, it did not creep me out at all. Speilberg and Tobe Hooper teamed up for it....I expected a lot better but it just didn't work for me. "The Conjuring" is a much superior film from that genre.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What happened to Monday?

Totallly recommend.

9/10 for me.

Brilliant concept, delivered in style.

Reactions: PJ

Latest posts