What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

RPG437

Juniors
I'm not interested in us keeping players with the aim of moving a few rungs up the ladder. We have been wasting season with this mediocre thinking. It is time to clean out these loafers and bring in players who will put in the effort.
Easier said than done - there are very few quality players available and in the last few months any that have emerged have shunned us quite openly. Grim situation.

Sloth

Juniors
At least 3 of the knights tries were due to not getting off of the goal line. Something we have been doing for many years and was obviously coached. We concede so many meters due to not pushing up in defence, fix that and we fix a lot of those soft tries.
It could also be we lack the stamina to be able to maintain it for the full 80 so didn’t bother trying it. Defensive structures are coached, hopefully Hook has different ideas.

SGMax

Juniors
Regarding Sailor, I believe he was never going to stay after this year.
About the middle of last year, Wendell said on one of his radio shows that Tristan was hoping to get another year at STI so he could finish his studies at the gong.

I see him primarily as a half (5/8) and with Sullivan and Clune ahead of him, it may be best for him to move on.
We would need to offload Hunt and/or Norman for Sailor to be the backup half next year....(with some utility cover at wing and FB).

Dragon David

First Grade
At least 3 of the knights tries were due to not getting off of the goal line. Something we have been doing for many years and was obviously coached. We concede so many meters due to not pushing up in defence, fix that and we fix a lot of those soft tries.
It could also be we lack the stamina to be able to maintain it for the full 80 so didn’t bother trying it. Defensive structures are coached, hopefully Hook has different ideas.
It is what Griffin is aiming to do plus the new conditioner will make sure that we can maintain our energy and stamina for the full 80 minutes. Great defence is the key to winning games. You score points and you have to defend them just as simple as that. So besides being able to defend for the full 80, we need our attack in place to score points and that will be up to a good attacking coach which Griffin will need to sign up.

It’s funny how we have all been joking for a while that “nobody is coming” because this is potentially a reality check for us all.
The flood gates have been opened on the dam wall for some time however there is zero rain in the forecast.
Let’s see if there are things happening behind the scenes as the Dragons over time do keep things quiet (Widdop, Hunt Etc).

Mjab

Juniors
Has anyone read any updates on widdop wanting to return as he would be one option in halves if Norman and Hunt and both ditched next year, problem is we need to spend the $ on a few good forwards rather than another half as we already have a $2m a season investment in there , I dont think we can afford Widdop as well , one would actually need offloading
I wonder if Hunt has any interest in ESL and a fresh start, Norman doesnt seem to
I suspect though that Hook will start these 2 (hunt Norman) to start with and at least see what he can get out of them

Dragon David

First Grade
As a Dragons supporter for almost 60 years, I am now looking forward to the new era after the suffering we have endured for 7-8 years under the previous Regime. No need to look back now, just look at our future and wish the new administrators, who will take over our squad, all the very best for the years ahead.

be55

Juniors
Straight to the top of the class for you sloth...our lack of line-speed and aggression in defence is 100% a coaching deficiency...it is one thing to coach keeping a straight line in defence and not to present opportunities to attacking sides, that come from having a staggered defensive line, it is another to completely forgo not just line speed in general play but at times not even getting off your own try line when defending it.
It is something that has been drilled into them on the training paddock, we all know by who, and it is all anybody would ever need to know as to why McGregor shouldn't be in charge of an U12 team down the local park of a Saturday morning let alone a first grade rugby league team...

possm

Coach
The questions here are, who is available and who wants to come here?
Our game yesterday was no advertisement for any prospective target.

Griffin had drawn up a prospective 30 hit list, I wonder how many have already been struck off it even at this early stage?

There's a lot of work to do with our team over the next couple of months. Griffim is at least a good HC appointment, the next is his general.
I'd say it would be easier to have a big cleanout with fresh new players than to try to teach our old dogs new tricks.

possm

Coach
Easier said than done - there are very few quality players available and in the last few months any that have emerged have shunned us quite openly. Grim situation.
Yes, that's what happens when you wait until near end of season to bring in a new coach. Most of the good deals have already been done while Millward sits on his hands waiting for someone to tell him what to do.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Yes, that's what happens when you wait until near end of season to bring in a new coach. Most of the good deals have already been done while Millward sits on his hands waiting for someone to tell him what to do.

I’d say Millward’s services won’t be required after this week Possm

A total failure.

I mean look at the quantity & quality of our (uncoached)
forward reserves
...the lost juniors
lost players
lost marquee signings

but FMD endless gaggle of journeymen

And the signed up juniors are only there because they wanted to play for the RedV, the greatest Club.

Just ask most of them - it’s tribal!
It’s true Culture

.... So the last gasp of The Waterboy era ends this weekend

5 more sleeps & it’s done!

- the purge, pain and scourge over.
Consigned to history

Our battle fully won

A second hallelujah
to celebrate Sundy arvo

.... over a red or 2 with mum & the missus.
And it’ll be cheers all round!

Thank God Clone fuc/ked it up

- as a Total Recall of the past 9 years demanded Total Cleanout

... no residue, no damaged DNA

Renewal

And Possm, if indeed Jayden & Eddie debut, then we’ve gotten everything we could’ve dreamed of for 2020

....and the icing on the cake?:

4 junior debuts in 2 weeks (although sadly 6 weeks too late for what would’ve been a more realistic run to the finals, especially morale wise)

But hey
Clone’s stupidity has brought us freedom

...The freedoms of
unsullied regeneration

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have a feeling once the Bronco's coach is announced we may get some movement. If Walters gets the gig especially as I think he will make a play for Hunt and possibly Norman. He picked them for Qld didn't he and that was only last year. He must think he can get them going. Not sure if Green will be as keen on the idea..

The Bronco's are a rabble and Hunt may be the guy they need to put some experience into the squad as they are quite young. Plus he is an QLD Origin player. They may use Ofe as part of the deal. ANy chance Saints can give Hunt and Norman for Payne Haas. We can only dream.....

Mjab

Juniors
I know u r of the same opinion Possm

Millward has been part of the problem and needs to Be cleaned out for a new beginning
So many bad signings and poor pathway management

sure peanut is to blame too
But Millward needs to go

I saw a comment in the paper today , the storm recruitment guru
Certainly not something u would call Millward

Dragsters

First Grade
I would only have two players locked in for next year. Lomax at centre and McInnes at hooker.

Everyone else is playing for their spot in the trials. Hunt plays halfback or nowhere. Most of the forwards need to start eating some raw meat or get a new job.

Agreed.

I said this in the game thread during the second half last weekend.

These are the only 2 that have "put in" every game this season...

Maddragon99

Juniors
Has anyone read any updates on widdop wanting to return as he would be one option in halves if Norman and Hunt and both ditched next year, problem is we need to spend the $ on a few good forwards rather than another half as we already have a $2m a season investment in there , I dont think we can afford Widdop as well , one would actually need offloading
I wonder if Hunt has any interest in ESL and a fresh start, Norman doesnt seem to
I suspect though that Hook will start these 2 (hunt Norman) to start with and at least see what he can get out of them

One of our many problems is that the team is unbalanced with both Hunt & McInnes in the side. Clune is the better halfback for us & McInnes is the better dummy half. But Hunt is signed for so much money he has to be in the team somewhere.

I predict Hunt will be given the option to accept he’s playing 9 for the next 3yrs or he’s free to explore options elsewhere.

if Hunt agrees to stop complaining & accept he’s no longer a halfback then McInnes will be squeezed out.

denis preston

First Grade
Straight to the top of the class for you sloth...our lack of line-speed and aggression in defence is 100% a coaching deficiency...it is one thing to coach keeping a straight line in defence and not to present opportunities to attacking sides, that come from having a staggered defensive line, it is another to completely forgo not just line speed in general play but at times not even getting off your own try line when defending it.
It is something that has been drilled into them on the training paddock, we all know by who, and it is all anybody would ever need to know as to why McGregor shouldn't be in charge of an U12 team down the local park of a Saturday morning let alone a first grade rugby league team...

One of the first things noticed when Bennett took over was the defense line speed by Smith and Costigan ( who never played better in his stints before and after his Dragons years , we got the best of him by far ) They not only moved up but INTIMIDATED the opposition. Add then Weyman, Prior, Scott , Creagh ,Young & Saffy and it shows how far we have to go , but Hook may be using the 2010 pack as a template to what he wants to create. Of todays side at best equals may be Mcinness / Young, Vaughan/Weyman, Host/Prior but it's obvious where Hook is going to do his most work on reconstructing the side.

Latest posts