What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

LINESPEED

Juniors
I reckon this Tim Lafai guy the dogs are letting go might be worth a try but we will have to offer big coin.

FMD
You know how to wind me up
...just when my shrink had the meds keeping me on an even keel

But
Slowlai?

Nah report just in he’s off to the Warriors
to join Turdstyle
& re-form
(wait for it)
the Club-&-backline-fu/cking Laitken partnership of the ages.

The good oil from Webster is McFail to assist mate & Old Boy Brownie

.... & run the paddles,
water,
monosyllabic messaging,
junior & mateship development,
pressers,

the Deflection R Us symposium

....& the new from USA:

‘we’re all rookies’ &
‘comfortable being uncomfortable’ incentivisation sportpsyche strategies from the newly Gordon-funded Rotorua Retreat that’s now twin-citied with Austinmer

PS
Lozza’s told Gouldy the 3 amigos are a class act & the Warriors Forum’ll love ‘em

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
One of the first things noticed when Bennett took over was the defense line speed by Smith and Costigan ( who never played better in his stints before and after his Dragons years , we got the best of him by far ) They not only moved up but INTIMIDATED the opposition. Add then Weyman, Prior, Scott , Creagh ,Young & Saffy and it shows how far we have to go , but Hook may be using the 2010 pack as a template to what he wants to create. Of todays side at best equals may be Mcinness / Young, Vaughan/Weyman, Host/Prior but it's obvious where Hook is going to do his most work on reconstructing the side.
100% mate...Hook has a massive job on his hands due to the fact we've been coached by a Z grader for the last 7 years...you talk about the 2010 side and what Bennett did with it, he instilled that hard edge mentality in both defence and attack. It is something that is taught on the training paddock and demanded on game day.

I remember going into half time in the 2010 Grand final really worried about what i was seeing from the players and not knowing what to expect in the 2nd half. But those first few sets after half time were terrific...some massive carries from Prior, Saffy and Creagh and some real speed off the line from the defence and all of a sudden my fears were gone...Whatever Bennett said at half time had done the trick and 5 minutes later Knightingale was over in the corner and we were on our way to the promised lands.

Bennett really was great at getting the best out of his players and this showed in their defensive attitude when it came to such things as line speed...something that i doubt McGregor would have even worried about the last 7 years. Hook really does have a massive job on his hands but hopefully he's up to it and we can get back to where we belong...

Mjab

Juniors
FMD
You know how to wind me up
...just when my shrink had the meds keeping me on an even keel

But
Slowlai?

Nah report just in he’s off to the Warriors
to join Turdstyle
& re-form
(wait for it)
the Club-&-backline-fu/cking Laitken partnership of the ages.

The good oil from Webster is McFail to assist mate & Old Boy Brownie

.... & run the paddles,
water,
monosyllabic messaging,
junior & mateship development,
pressers,

the Deflection R Us symposium

....& the new from USA:

‘we’re all rookies’ &
‘comfortable being uncomfortable’ incentivisation sportpsyche strategies from the newly Gordon-funded Rotorua Retreat that’s now twin-citied with Austinmer

PS
Lozza’s told Gouldy the 3 amigos are a class act & the Warriors Forum’ll love ‘em
Hopefully Mary will still have the phone number for that mat manufacturer he used to use in the shed in the middle playing group to inspire them with so they can do one in warrior colours
we have clearly gone downhill since Mary took it home for his living room

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Don’t care who we buy to wear the Red V but would be happy if the following was on display in 2021:
  • Smart kicking game; minimise the 7 tackle turnarounds by kicking dead so often with no chasers
  • Win the wrestle at the ruck at least a couple of time in a set of six
  • 3 Saints forwards that have the ability to tackle around the hips, solar plexus
  • Don't wait for players to come to us when defending our try line
  • 3 backs that can compete for the kick in attack and defence
  • Every player to have the ability to pass both ways right to left and left to right (believe me many can’t)
  • Players who can simply catch the football in non pressure situations
  • Be fit to play First Grade for at least 60 mins!
  • Some decoy runners to protect the forward taking the ball up
  • Some evidence of ball distribution from time to time
  • Some second phase play throughout the year would be nice, just for a bit of variety
  • Perhaps question the ref once in the year
  • Maybe get fined $10k for being angry at a press conference
  • Start a stink at least twice a year

not to much to ask...is it?

Last edited:

Ghostrider22

Juniors
One of the first things noticed when Bennett took over was the defense line speed by Smith and Costigan ( who never played better in his stints before and after his Dragons years , we got the best of him by far ) They not only moved up but INTIMIDATED the opposition. Add then Weyman, Prior, Scott , Creagh ,Young & Saffy and it shows how far we have to go , but Hook may be using the 2010 pack as a template to what he wants to create. Of todays side at best equals may be Mcinness / Young, Vaughan/Weyman, Host/Prior but it's obvious where Hook is going to do his most work on reconstructing the side.
Denis, we had a very good bunch of players that was well balanced across the team. And of course we had a very good coach that brought out the best in each of them, we can only hope that Hook can do the same time will tell

boardlumps62

Juniors
We are just about to go into that period when we hope we sign someone and next year will be better than this. How long has this been going on. Remember Dufty early this was going to give his all. Welk we got some excitement but not much. Next year after this weekend. Fingers crossed.

jak

Bench
Don’t care who we buy to wear the Red V but would be happy if the following was on display in 2021:
  • Smart kicking game; minimise the 7 tackle turnarounds by kicking dead so often with no chasers
  • 3 Saints forwards that have the ability to tackle around the hips, solar plexus
  • Every player to have the ability to pass both ways right to left and left to right (believe me many can’t)
  • Some second phase play throughout the year would be nice, just for a bit of variety

so,throw out marys game plan

SAP58

Juniors
Report from Danny Weidler on Twitter that Tristan Sailor has been told officially he is not part of our plans for 2021. Right or wrong not sure how you make a decision when he was not given an opportunity to win a conract and we continually selected a non performing Corey Norman. Maybe we just got in first before he told us he was leaving.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Report from Danny Weidler on Twitter that Tristan Sailor has been told officially he is not part of our plans for 2021. Right or wrong not sure how you make a decision when he was not given an opportunity to win a conract and we continually selected a non performing Corey Norman. Maybe we just got in first before he told us he was leaving.
Or maybe just being honest with him and giving him a shot find a new club. They probably think that with Hunt, Norman, Sullivan and Clune on the books he doesn’t have a solid shot. I’m sure if Norman wasn’t on the books he’d get a spot. If I was him I’d go to the super league and use it like a gap year. He might get some experience and be able to come to the NRL. I would say if picked up by an opposing club it would be as a backup anyway.

jeffdragon

Bench

Halves who run to the line.
Forwards with some mongrel.
Players play what's in front of them.
Less one out running.
The players put some pride in the jersey.

_Johnsy

Referee

Nope, not at all. i'd like to add another if I may.

Have a second and third option if one of our plays isn't getting the desired result. Just a small change in formation and/or support runners, it's easy enough for park footballers to grasp, why can't we?

getsmarty

Immortal
St. George Illawarra Dragons prodigy Tristan Sailor told to look elsewhere for 2021

Ed Chisholm
1 hour ago

Exciting young utility back Tristan Sailor has been informed by the Dragons he'll be surplus to requirements under new coach Anthony Griffin in 2021.

The electric 21-year-old, who has proven handy at fullback and five-eight was reportedly pushing for a release under Paul McGregor after growing frustrated with his lack of playing opportunities, which the club denied earlier this year.

Sailor has been reduced to three appearances this season from the interchange bench, after making his debut last year in round 23, despite the loud calls from a strong faction of the Red V faithful for him to replace under-performing five-eighth Corey Norman throughout the year.

A two-time Queensland under-20's representative, Sailor is one of five Dragons players still un-signed for next season.

And in a move that will undoubtedly unsettle a number of Dragons fans, Channel Nine's Danny Weidler reports the club told Sailor on Wednesday he wouldn't be offered a new contract beyond this year.

"Tristan Sailor told officially today he is not part of the Dragons plans for next year. He will be an excellent pick up for another club. Excellent young bloke," Weidler tweeted.

Sailor becomes the first player to be made a casualty of new coach Griffin's overhaul, after the incoming boss also informed assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and James Shepard they wouldn't be part of his staff in 2021.

St. George Illawarra are intent on strengthening their roster after another disappointing campaign, with the club reportedly in advance talks with Broncos and Maroons middle forward Joe Ofahengaue.

Despite the Dragons' denial, Sailor reportedly pushed for a mid-season exit in the pursuit of more game time, which came as fellow prodigy Jason Saab also requested a release.

It was revealed later by his father and retired NRL great Wendell Sailor that the Tigers were on the verge of securing the young gun on a loan deal.

The move fell apart at the 11th hour however, with the Tigers signing winger Asu Kepaoa from the Roosters as part of their roster re-arrangements to accommodate Sonny Bill-Williams.

Capable at both five-eighth and fullback, opportunities have been sparce with Norman and Matt Dufty in the side, while Sailor has also seemingly fallen behind fellow young guns Jayden Sullivan and Cody Ramsey in the pecking order.

It was widely reported earlier in the year the Dragons were looking to offload Norman at season's end, which could've opened the door for Sailor, however those talks have gradually subsided.

Having worked with him at the Broncos, Griffin has been vocal in his support of Norman and Ben Hunt and outlined his mission to reinvigorate their partnership in the halves next year.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...r-told-to-look-elsewhere-for-2021/ar-BB19m3Dw

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dont know any details and I'm only guessing, but I think Sailor was "unofficially' gone last year. Only re-signed late and as a back up whilst he finished his Uni degree. 1yr ago it was 'Tristan' was a long term plan, 1yr later he is in no plan. To me that explains the weird 1yr deal.

Interesting to me are the players not included in the 21 this week, and some haven't been for a while, or never have been:
Saab - well documented what he wants
Ravalawa - our leadingvtry svorer to not even making the 21. Seems to be more to the story here.
Sailor - see above
Brittain - injured
H. Lomax - wasn't included in the bubble
JDB - we all know this story
Lovodua - never mentioned and will most likely join the new Fijian CC team
K. Sims - injured? Dropped?
Merrin - injured? Dropped?

Of the others - Matt Feagai and SSE have long term deals so no issues with them.

be55

Juniors
Dont know any details and I'm only guessing, but I think Sailor was "unofficially' gone last year. Only re-signed late and as a back up whilst he finished his Uni degree. 1yr ago it was 'Tristan' was a long term plan, 1yr later he is in no plan. To me that explains the weird 1yr deal.

Interesting to me are the players not included in the 21 this week, and some haven't been for a while, or never have been:
Ravalawa - our leadingvtry svorer to not even making the 21. Seems to be more to the story here.
Sailor - see above
Brittain - injured

Of the others - Matt Feagai and SSE have long term deals so no issues with them.
From what i've seen of Hayden Lomax he has a hell of a lot of work to do before he's ever considered for first grade. You mention Shaun Sauni-Esau, good to hear he is signed long term. He has a lot of upside in my opinion. He's fast and moves well and is another one of these young outside backs we have in the pathways that, with continued progression, could progress to the top level one day...

True_Believer

Juniors

Sailor - see above
Brittain - injured

I'd suggest that Rav, who appears to have been carrying an injury for a couple of months, has been rested for the remainder of the season (given there's nothing to gain from him playing). That makes a bit of sense to me - but thats only a guess.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'd suggest that Rav, who appears to have been carrying an injury for a couple of months, has been rested for the remainder of the season (given there's nothing to gain from him playing). That makes a bit of sense to me - but thats only a guess.
That being the case they should rest Lomax and play Feagai there but he’s too valuable it seems.

Latest posts