What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Dragons drama as Tristan Sailor looks for exit

[QUOTE="The Silverdale Phantom, post: 14359407, member: 50524"

Then his best option seems to be a chance with a weaker roster.

Cant think of too many clubs then ;)[/QUOTE]

Perfect for my tigers then lol.

We don’t have a roster, it’s a rugby league orphanage at the moment!

Tristan had no chance under “ it’s round 22, we are coming second last but can still make the finals” attitude of Mary and I’m afraid you could see Deano was still infected by the virus when he took over.

That of course meant the same players who butchered most of the last 21 rounds are selected without question! The logic was spot on lol.

I wish the kid well. The perfect storm of coming into grade under Mary. He’s entitled to feel a bit down about. He should not buy a lottery ticket in his whole life.

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
I'm not saying i agree with it but i honestly think the coaching staff put the pen through Tristan after the nines early this year. I know it is a completely different defensive set up compared to 13 a side but some of his defensive efforts were sub standard to say the least and even when i watched him playing Canterbury Cup last year, his defence was always a massive concern of mine.

The club probably sees him and Dufty as a like for like, good with ball in hand but terrible defensively. And with Dufty on the books for another season and other young talent, like Ramsey who can play full-back and Sullivan as our up and coming five-eighth, the club probably marked him excess baggage long ago...

Sloth

Juniors
I don’t think we could carry that many smaller backs who have defensive issues. Dufty, Clune and to some extent JP and Ramsey are relatively small by first grade standards.
Credit to 3 of those guys for putting their bodies on the line however look at the size of the top teams. We can’t afford to carry that many light weights in the one team.

be55

Juniors
I don’t think we could carry that many smaller backs who have defensive issues. Dufty, Clune and to some extent JP and Ramsey are relatively small by first grade standards.
Credit to 3 of those guys for putting their bodies on the line however look at the size of the top teams. We can’t afford to carry that many light weights in the one team.
Good point...i think the strength and conditioning staff will go to work on Ramsey in the off season and look to add some more muscle for next year. Looking at him you can see he has the frame that you could do this whereas some of the others you mention have reached their limits body wise

Walpole

Juniors
Good point...i think the strength and conditioning staff will go to work on Ramsey in the off season and look to add some more muscle for next year. Looking at him you can see he has the frame that you could do this whereas some of the others you mention have reached their limits body wise
Very good point. Ramsey's only listed as 82 kg but he's 6'1 so there's room for him to add some muscle and hopefully still retain his speed.

I'm not saying i agree with it but i honestly think the coaching staff put the pen through Tristan after the nines early this year. I know it is a completely different defensive set up compared to 13 a side but some of his defensive efforts were sub standard to say the least and even when i watched him playing Canterbury Cup last year, his defence was always a massive concern of mine.

The club probably sees him and Dufty as a like for like, good with ball in hand but terrible defensively. And with Dufty on the books for another season and other young talent, like Ramsey who can play full-back and Sullivan as our up and coming five-eighth, the club probably marked him excess baggage long ago...

Yeah I tend to agree but perhaps you should have let him take his wings if was in the reject basket.

Don’t forget the fat Suli offer earlier this year.

Mjab

Juniors
Cant think of too many clubs then ;)

Tristan had no chance under “ it’s round 22, we are coming second last but can still make the finals” attitude of Mary and I’m afraid you could see Deano was still infected by the virus when he took over.

That of course meant the same players who butchered most of the last 21 rounds are selected without question! The logic was spot on lol.

I wish the kid well. The perfect storm of coming into grade under Mary. He’s entitled to feel a bit down about. He should not buy a lottery ticket in his whole life.[/QUOTE]

So off topic

Is Luke Brooks , the Tigers Ben Hunt, and need offloading ??
or are there too many other issues at Tiger Town

You at least do a bit better than us
You have had some better coaching
You do have spine issues
Massively underperforming players
JV and BOD issues

Sounds a bit like Tigers and Dragons are twins !!

I wish the kid well. The perfect storm of coming into grade under Mary. He’s entitled to feel a bit down about. He should not buy a lottery ticket in his whole life.

So off topic

Is Luke Brooks , the Tigers Ben Hunt, and need offloading ??
or are there too many other issues at Tiger Town

You at least do a bit better than us
You have had some better coaching
You do have spine issues
Massively underperforming players
JV and BOD issues

Sounds a bit like Tigers and Dragons are twins !![/QUOTE]

There’s been an alliance in futility, but in my learnings about sgi, Mary seems to have been a massive handicap which we haven’t had to deal with.

Taking Mary at his word, the contradictions, Game plans, selections, stupidity and excuses. The panthers wouldn’t be in the finals if he was in charge.

We have less excuses really. Massive attitude issues. Complete and total surrender v Melbourne at that back end. Catastrophic failure is putting it in its best light.

When you visit our forum, you are not going to see the platitudes for Benji you might expect.
There’s a reason for that.

I like Brooks, he can play. He’s nowhere up to Hunt standard as Hunts plays a bad game and it’s stock instead of mind numbing. Brooksy can dull the most enlivened of footy senses on a bad night!

I admit and I know it’s unpopular here, but I like Hunt. I’m not sure he’s worth his salary, but I rate him.

There’s been an alliance in futility, but in my learnings about sgi, Mary seems to have been a massive handicap which we haven’t had to deal with.

Taking Mary at his word, the contradictions, Game plans, selections, stupidity and excuses. The panthers wouldn’t be in the finals if he was in charge.

We have less excuses really. Massive attitude issues. Complete and total surrender v Melbourne at that back end. Catastrophic failure is putting it in its best light.

When you visit our forum, you are not going to see the platitudes for Benji you might expect.
There’s a reason for that.

Swap you Norman for Brooks[/QUOTE]

Just wait to see if Hook can re-ignite their combination.

Mary couldn’t ignite a lake of aviation fluid with a nuclear warhead.

I would be surprised if he doesn’t get a lot out of them. I think he will bring them back to basics firsts and then let them loose. Marys plan was the other way around.

Norman in particular needs remedial work, but there’s hope!

Maybe we don’t have the same jv issues because we weren’t as strong and much more desperate than you guys on your own.

Stronger together is more real for us because we can’t compete any other way.

It’s like a bad marriage but with a lot of in laws hooking up and seperating, nobody is sure which side of the family they are from.

We share your passion though, we are absolutely scathing on our players. It’s a kind of survival of the fittest club. Perpetual underdogs with an amazing gift to fail at crucial times in many things.

But we love a win as much as the next club. Just measured about things. Madge is still very popular despite his failings. Nothing happening with us until 2022. That’s widely accepted and understood.

A bit like you guys waiting to see Mary out!

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Maybe we don’t have the same jv issues because we weren’t as strong and much more desperate than you guys on your own.

Stronger together is more real for us because we can’t compete any other way.

It’s like a bad marriage but with a lot of in laws hooking up and seperating, nobody is sure which side of the family they are from.

We share your passion though, we are absolutely scathing on our players. It’s a kind of survival of the fittest club. Perpetual underdogs with an amazing gift to fail at crucial times in many things.

But we love a win as much as the next club. Just measured about things. Madge is still very popular despite his failings. Nothing happening with us until 2022. That’s widely accepted and understood.

A bit like you guys waiting to see Mary out!
Every man and his seem to linked to the Tigers lately. But much like us, none of them seem to materialise.

Every man and his seem to linked to the Tigers lately. But much like us, none of them seem to materialise.

So long as the following aren’t linked to Tigers;

Mary
Dean
Bruce and Andrew
Albert
Shep
Flanagan
Management by design
Millward
Gus
All of Marys “ best mates” out there.
Any f**ker wanting to write a post season review. I prefer Gareth’s two word recommendation at the time it was being drafted.

But and however, it could be argued that the sgi hippy and meditation team did too good a job this year!

I can just imagine Hooks two word ‘welcome’ for management by design and the hippies!

getsmarty

Immortal
‘Never got any game time’: Wendell Sailor slams Dragons for cutting son Tristan
NRL legend Wendell Sailor is furious with the Dragons after the club told his son Tristan that his services were no longer required beyond 2020.

Mark St John
September 24, 20202:31pm
dfa79870b184bde0afa7aa40ff6cd0ab

Wendell SailorSource:Getty Images

NRL legend Wendell Sailor is furious with the Dragons after the club told his son Tristan that his services were no longer required beyond 2020.

Danny Weidler reported the club doesn’t believe the 22-year-old, who has played five games for the Dragons since his debut in 2019, is part of their future under incoming coach Anthony Griffin.

“Sailor was told officially that he is not part of the Dragons plans for next year,” Weidler tweeted.

3fceb078d3d2009d28b7ce9830092db4

LATE MAIL: Staggs set for late Broncos switch, Panthers consider resting more stars

LATEST: Tristan Sailor told officially today that he is not part of the Dragons plans for next year. He will be a good pick up for another club. Excellent young bloke. @NRLonNine @9NewsSyd

— Danny Weidler (@Danny_Weidler) September 23, 2020
“He will be a good pick up for another club. Excellent young bloke.”

Sailor’s father Wendell who scored 17 tries in 33 games for the club over the 2008 and 2009 seasons believes the club has let down Tristan with the way they have handled his development.

“He was told by the club that if he had a big off-season, he would be in the mix this year but he never got any game time,” the former Test star told Wide World of Sports.

“He got two games off the bench and was expected to pull off the miracle play with limited game time.

“Now they say he is not wanted - my wife and I are very disappointed that he never got the opportunity to show what he’s got on the field.”

Sailor was disappointed that after all the sacrifices their son had made over the course of the coronavirus pandemic that the club couldn’t stand by him and offer him more opportunities to show what he has got in first grade.

c7bbdbdd711fb6ab62a22c8a50c902a7

Tristan Sailor is unwanted at the Dragons.Source:News Corp Australia

“He’s done everything right all year,” Sailor said.

“He couldn’t even come to my mum’s funeral because he was in the bubble but he accepted that and now they cut him.

“Hopefully he can find another club because he is a good young player with something to offer.

“While we are disappointed, the Red V will always be a part of us; we love the club.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...n/news-story/784264c97bf8e7c25c04d4ebc3d10c15

getsmarty

Immortal
St George-Illawarra Dragons player Tristan Sailor ready to design his future at UNSW

The NRL star is embarking on his second degree, emphasising the importance of education and planning for the future for professional athletes.

tristan-sailor-2_3.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons star Tristan Sailor is preparing for his future, beginning his Bachelor of Architecture at UNSW. Photo: NRL

When most people think of the National Rugby League, the word ‘education’ isn’t the first one that springs to mind.

However, this is an image the NRL and its clubs are keen to change as they recognise the importance of preparing players for a future beyond their professional sporting career.

One player who understands this better than most is St George-Illawarra Dragons’ utility back Tristan Sailor, who has just started his Bachelor of Architecture at UNSW after already completing a commerce degree.

“The NRL as a whole has really been pushing the education and wellbeing for players in recent years,” he said.

“The Dragons’ Education and Wellbeing Officers really capitalise on this and give us a lot of support and help with finding education pathways that will interest us.

“I had always planned on going to university but with the education grants and flexibility available to us, it really encouraged me to undertake this second degree.”

The son of former Dragons and Queensland legend Wendell Sailor, Tristan has been making his own mark on the sport, with a series of excellent performances through the junior grades that saw him break into the Dragons’ first grade squad.

tristan-sailor-1_1.jpg

Tristan Sailor is looking forward to embarking on his second degree and getting to use his creative skills. Photo: St George Illawarra Dragons

The intense training is difficult to combine with study, but Sailor has worked hard to ensure he strikes that balance.

“I was extremely lucky to be able to do (my Commerce degree) full time along with my sporting commitments,” he said.

“It took a lot of flexibility from both ends but due to this I was able to balance it really well.”

The UNSW Elite Athlete Program allows athletes across a range of sports to balance the demands of training with their studies.

Elite Athlete Program Manager Helen Bryson is delighted to welcome Sailor to the program.

“Tristan has demonstrated through his previous degree that he has excellent work ethic and a strong desire to learn,” she said.

“With a number of professional athletes from the AFL, NRL, WBBL and Super Netball now studying here, it is exciting to see UNSW become the university of choice for so many across these codes due to the strength of our program and our teaching.”

Beginning his course in T3, Sailor is very keen to get started.

“I am really excited to have the opportunity to learn from experts in the architectural field,” he said.

“It will give me the ability to gain valuable knowledge and skills that I will be able to translate in my future career after rugby league.

“[Architecture] has always been an interest of mine and I was close to undertaking the course straight after school but decided to do a different degree.

“It has come full circle now – I love the design part of it, and the ability to be creative while also affecting people’s lives through the built environment.”

https://www.miragenews.com/st-georg...an-sailor-ready-to-design-his-future-at-unsw/

Latest posts