What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 - Rabbitohs vs Roosters: Friday 25th September 7:55pm @ANZ Stadium

Rabbit57

Juniors
Souths played the best game of the season tonight, and could well be the best win over the Roosters ever.

I was at that round 1 game when we beat them 52-10 with Chris Sandow going off, but this was better if that was ever possible.
All the commentators have been saying we can’t beat a top 8 team. We did that tonight and showed if we apply ourselves anything is possible.

Really liked the way we turned it around after roosters dominating first 10 minutes. The team showed they have belief in each other

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
All the commentators have been saying we can’t beat a top 8 team. We did that tonight and showed if we apply ourselves anything is possible.

Really liked the way we turned it around after roosters dominating first 10 minutes. The team showed they have belief in each other
Totally agreed, a real TEAM performance.

On your first point, Peter Tunks on 2SM has been the worst. Always bagging them, won't acknowledge the injuries we've had, never said a word after the Manly and Parramatta games, piped up his big mouth after the Tigers and especially the Bulldogs game.

Stick that up ya coit Tunksy

GloryGlory

Juniors
Alex Johnson will now likely finish the season #1 in the NRL for

Tries Scored
Linebreaks
Intercepts

And we came within a whisker of losing him so we could through a bag load at a self-entitled brat... Sanity prevailed

Now all Benno needs to do is tell the team to play every minute of the next 320 minutes like we are trying to get tries for AJ ... as soon as they decided to get him over Feldt they looked like 40 defenders couldn't stop them

callmack1

Staff member
My god, my god, my god..... I don't even know where to start. Have only just calmed down enough to think clearly for a match report haha. To be honest, I've been speechless ever since full time. How about I start with a massive woooooohoooooo!!!! What a night man, what a game!! Obviously, our last two games of 2014 will be hard to beat but aside from them, this is hands down the greatest performance from a Souths team I've ever seen. I don't say things like that lightly and I mean it. One of the most dominant performances I have ever seen. 60-8 against your arch rivals, who are Premiership favourites, one week out from the Finals, thus, claiming sixth and a Home Final, all while possibly moving the Roosters over the other side of the Finals Draw. it doesn't get much better than that. Our biggest ever win over them of all time, 112 years, which is pretty crazy and it's our second biggest win over anyone of all time which just speaks to the magnitude of the result. I can't do this justice because I can't find the words to describe it. What an incredible night!!

Attack was just brilliant tonight, absolutely fantastic. Champagne Rugby League. We identified pretty early on that the Roosters were compressing their defence heavily so spreading the ball saw a lot of success for us. We moved their pack around and just dominated them in the end. This lead to some absolutely beautiful tries. We were on fire tonight!!

Didn't have to do a lot of defence tonight but what we did defend looked really solid. Holding a side like that to just eight points is incredible. The Roosters barely looked like scoring for most of the game.

Allan: The game of his career so far!! Didn't put a foot wrong all night with a fantastic game all around. He was safe at the back, was creating plenty of chances through a strong running game and an even better passing game (finished up with two try assists). His support play was outstanding also as they gave us a lot of options and he scored a great try off the back of support play. I still can't get over him giving the ball to AJ. A selfless play that had me going absolutely mental!!

Johnston: Speaking of AJ, what a game from him tonight!! Five tries, yes five!! An incredible effort and every single one of those was a great finish to a nice play. Loved how the boys knew about the top try scorer situation and they did everything they could to keep him scoring. He will now most likely finish as top try scorer which is incredible.

Gagai: Gags was immense on that left edge all game. He was such a massive threat and once we started to dominate, he just tore them apart through a series of breaks and/or half breaks. Loved his quick hands for AJ and he did a great job with hit ups out of our own end.

Graham: Despite making some early errors, he responded in the best way possible to end up having a great game. Strong runs and he proved very hard to handle for the Roosters. Scored a well deserved try after he had one taken off him too.

Paulo: Was a bit more quiet than other backline members but still had a pretty good game. He was nice and solid. Did his job well. The only gripe was a poor defensive error which lead to the Roosters first try.

Walker: I'm just gonna come out and call it. That is hands down the best performance from a 5/8 I have ever seen! An absolutely incredible game from Cody as he was in everything. After a poor start it was his electric play that sparked us back into action and after that, it was a masterclass form Cody. Two fantastic tries, three try assists, two line breaks, three line break assists, seven tackle breaks and 167 meters. Some of the plays he put off from off the cuff Footy was just mesmerising both for himself and for others. Fantastic game Cody.

Reynolds: Reyno had another clinical game and he was no doubt at his best. Had the ball on a string for pretty much all of the match both long and short and he applied fantastic pressure to the Chooks. Especially with the line drop outs as there was some really classy kicks there to force a repeat set. I also really enjoyed his creativity in the backline as our raids were often started by him.

Tatola: A successful return game to say the least!! he played less minutes but was very impactful in his stints and helped to lay a great platform.

Cook: Was good. He took his chances when they were on offer but other than that, he just gave good service, tackled well and let the rest of the side go about their business which is what you want. He didn't try to do too much and that's a really good thing.

Burgess: A barnstorming game once again from Tom. He took on the likes of JWH and Taukeiaho yet still came out on top with some massive runs. Plenty of meters there.

Sironen: A good steady game from young Bailey. He did his job well. Hopefully the injury is nothing too serious.

Murray: Wow what a game from Cam!! He was fantastic! he just kept going and going all game. Came up with a few big plays off the back of offloads etc. Scored a great try himself too!

Knight: A huge improvent on last week and it make a big difference. He was able to hold the ball and actually get in there and do his job. He ended up putting in a darn good game actually.

Nicholls: Probably our best bench forward tonight. Made a real impact when he came on.

Sele: Good to see him returning to some form as he went well in this one. Got those big legs pumping which provided great meters.

Cartwright: Came on earlier than exepected but went really well. He was a stand out actually.

Koloamatangi: Another consistent game from Keonn. Provided great impact and had defenders hanging off him on plenty of runs but he still kept charging. It was so strong and he kept it up all day.

So proud of the boys. We've just proven we can give this competition a real shake as well as getting the preferred Finals Draw. Honestly one of the best wins I've ever seen from anyone!

handyman2190

Bench
How good it is!!
Im glad i was proven wrong, i believed the score would be reversed, but the boys cracked arse, and imagine, 2 trys should of been given, so the score would be 72 to 8.
What a thrashing!! It was worth watching and listening to gus and joey giving it to the bunker and the chooks.
Great game boys!!!

truthslayer

Juniors
Terrific game, back it up, next week boys! The intensity was 100%compared to last week, can't fault one member. Cartwright is proving A grade pick up, very tall and good speed. And Corey Allan take a bow! The support play led by Allan outstanding. Nicholls is finding a new leaf of life and the stars walker Reynolds and Gagai all fantastic. What about Cam Murray, a machine thank god we have him. And Alex Johnston he's a great winger! Paulo I feel has promise so will develop. Campbell Graham gives it all and Koala and Sele great from the bench! Burgess and Liam Knight top games and welcome back Junior. Cook was good!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
My god, my god, my god..... I don't even know where to start. Have only just calmed down enough to think clearly for a match report haha. To be honest, I've been speechless ever since full time. How about I start with a massive woooooohoooooo!!!! What a night man, what a game!! Obviously, our last two games of 2014 will be hard to beat but aside from them, this is hands down the greatest performance from a Souths team I've ever seen. I don't say things like that lightly and I mean it. One of the most dominant performances I have ever seen. 60-8 against your arch rivals, who are Premiership favourites, one week out from the Finals, thus, claiming sixth and a Home Final, all while possibly moving the Roosters over the other side of the Finals Draw. it doesn't get much better than that. Our biggest ever win over them of all time, 112 years, which is pretty crazy and it's our second biggest win over anyone of all time which just speaks to the magnitude of the result. I can't do this justice because I can't find the words to describe it. What an incredible night!!

Attack was just brilliant tonight, absolutely fantastic. Champagne Rugby League. We identified pretty early on that the Roosters were compressing their defence heavily so spreading the ball saw a lot of success for us. We moved their pack around and just dominated them in the end. This lead to some absolutely beautiful tries. We were on fire tonight!!

Didn't have to do a lot of defence tonight but what we did defend looked really solid. Holding a side like that to just eight points is incredible. The Roosters barely looked like scoring for most of the game.

Allan: The game of his career so far!! Didn't put a foot wrong all night with a fantastic game all around. He was safe at the back, was creating plenty of chances through a strong running game and an even better passing game (finished up with two try assists). His support play was outstanding also as they gave us a lot of options and he scored a great try off the back of support play. I still can't get over him giving the ball to AJ. A selfless play that had me going absolutely mental!!

Johnston: Speaking of AJ, what a game from him tonight!! Five tries, yes five!! An incredible effort and every single one of those was a great finish to a nice play. Loved how the boys knew about the top try scorer situation and they did everything they could to keep him scoring. He will now most likely finish as top try scorer which is incredible.

Gagai: Gags was immense on that left edge all game. He was such a massive threat and once we started to dominate, he just tore them apart through a series of breaks and/or half breaks. Loved his quick hands for AJ and he did a great job with hit ups out of our own end.

Graham: Despite making some early errors, he responded in the best way possible to end up having a great game. Strong runs and he proved very hard to handle for the Roosters. Scored a well deserved try after he had one taken off him too.

Paulo: Was a bit more quiet than other backline members but still had a pretty good game. He was nice and solid. Did his job well. The only gripe was a poor defensive error which lead to the Roosters first try.

Walker: I'm just gonna come out and call it. That is hands down the best performance from a 5/8 I have ever seen! An absolutely incredible game from Cody as he was in everything. After a poor start it was his electric play that sparked us back into action and after that, it was a masterclass form Cody. Two fantastic tries, three try assists, two line breaks, three line break assists, seven tackle breaks and 167 meters. Some of the plays he put off from off the cuff Footy was just mesmerising both for himself and for others. Fantastic game Cody.

Reynolds: Reyno had another clinical game and he was no doubt at his best. Had the ball on a string for pretty much all of the match both long and short and he applied fantastic pressure to the Chooks. Especially with the line drop outs as there was some really classy kicks there to force a repeat set. I also really enjoyed his creativity in the backline as our raids were often started by him.

Tatola: A successful return game to say the least!! he played less minutes but was very impactful in his stints and helped to lay a great platform.

Cook: Was good. He took his chances when they were on offer but other than that, he just gave good service, tackled well and let the rest of the side go about their business which is what you want. He didn't try to do too much and that's a really good thing.

Burgess: A barnstorming game once again from Tom. He took on the likes of JWH and Taukeiaho yet still came out on top with some massive runs. Plenty of meters there.

Sironen: A good steady game from young Bailey. He did his job well. Hopefully the injury is nothing too serious.

Murray: Wow what a game from Cam!! He was fantastic! he just kept going and going all game. Came up with a few big plays off the back of offloads etc. Scored a great try himself too!

Knight: A huge improvent on last week and it make a big difference. He was able to hold the ball and actually get in there and do his job. He ended up putting in a darn good game actually.

Nicholls: Probably our best bench forward tonight. Made a real impact when he came on.

Sele: Good to see him returning to some form as he went well in this one. Got those big legs pumping which provided great meters.

Cartwright: Came on earlier than exepected but went really well. He was a stand out actually.

Koloamatangi: Another consistent game from Keonn. Provided great impact and had defenders hanging off him on plenty of runs but he still kept charging. It was so strong and he kept it up all day.

So proud of the boys. We've just proven we can give this competition a real shake as well as getting the preferred Finals Draw. Honestly one of the best wins I've ever seen from anyone!
Good summary.
Not much one could add, just a couple of extra observations:
Campbell Graham primarily, but also Cameron Murray did a terrific job on Tedesco, completely blocked him out of the game.
It's Keaon
K - E - A - O - N
lol

Pommy

Coach
Watched the game last night and just watched the Kayo mini. Unbelievably good great to see such team spirit.
My worry it seems we’re as likely to get jumped as we are hump someone else. It’s rocks or diamonds no in between.

also how did the little bitch Keary not get sent to the bin?

callmack1

Staff member
High five - Johnston and Walker combine to demolish Roosters: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ston-and-walker-combine-to-demolish-roosters/

Round 20 Press Conference: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/25/wayne-bennett-press-conference-round-20-vs-roosters/

By The Numbers - Round 20: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/25/by-the-numbers-round-20/

Player of the Game - Round 20: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/26/player-of-the-game-round-20/

Can't go past Cody for player of the game!

‘Worst decision in the history of rugby league’ - Fans furious as TWO howlers rob Rabbitohs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/3e64fad2db56277dfafdd3c2de999e08

‘Wonderful moment in sport’ - Selfless act hands Souths flyer highest tryscorer honour: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/7a20e36b18e8c492e9e7f95cd45c365d

So, the Rabbitohs CAN win the NRL title this year. And this is the man who will do it: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4c2d5b8ca97df18e2a956ef88640a070

The 'mentality' that inspired Alex Johnston's five-try heroics for the Rabbitohs: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...roosters/6af5565f-05d5-4c2b-a272-2608b6a50ccb

Cody Walker 'knocking down the door' of State of Origin call-up ahead of Luke Keary: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rabbit...ke-keary/642601e8-9ba0-4c68-8b42-05e2902bd14f

I’m here to pay my dues for your night of nights. Kick ass game bunnies.

They won’t recover from it for 30 years.

Total and complete dominance, even Keary and Crichton are having second thoughts now.

Another proud entry in your Book Of Feuds I guess ( sealed section this one).

B2467142-7847-4B6C-BB83-21ADC92353D8.jpeg

My cheeks are sore, I literally haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since fulltime!

Never seen something so unselfish - Allan's special moment: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/26/never-seen-something-so-unselfish-allans-special-moment/

Im glad he’s got more recognition than if he’d gone over himself.

The other thing is that shows you a team that cares about each other and that’s a good place to be entering a vicious finals series.

You guys must be happy that the moment for Bennett occurred under your watch.

He’s come long way since Brisbane voted you out of the comp. Remember that only the dogs refused to nuke you. They refused to vote for and against.

I was also going to add that the roosters have done a good job (up until last night) given their horrific injury toll.

They had no idea of what him for most of the game.

lol@the commentators switching their predictions with the way the wind was blowing.

The match was a service to the game in many areas not just the result. Badly needed with all these experts talking rubbish!

Before I go, does anybody not want to play footy with Cory Allen?

Did Bennett not say that was one of the best wins he’s ever had in 1000 year career? Lol

This is a fan-hood career moment for you blokes. The enemy is impaled and is only just twitching!

Party!

Last edited:

Latest posts