What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs Storm

Dea

Juniors
Sullivan had a great first hit out and showed courage after being hit late and hard multiple times.
Not convinced yet on our “new wingers.” Run metre returns are way down on what I might have expected. So often the winger acts as an extra forward early in the set. Not sure I see this in them compared to Rarva and Pereria. Or other teams wingers.
Dufty’s defence remains contentious and concerning, but his attack is good. Equal top scorer and numerous try assist makes him likely the best in our club at present.
Need a few forwards with attitude that can plug up our leaks through the middle. Blacker is big but didn’t see any big hits from him. To be fair, he didn’t even get 10 minutes on the field.
Melbourne showed that no matter who they play, they have great structure and systems. Hopefully we can get their also, but without their dog acts (hip drop tackle) and salary cap cheating.

since77

Juniors
I just hate Melbourne. Grubbiest bunch of scum I’ve ever seen. Even the B team plays the same grubby way the A team plays. It’s obvious they’re all coached to bend every rule to within an inch of its life. That hip drop tackle was atrocious. 10 years after they rorted the salary cap they still remain an ugly blight on Rugby League.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We beat the cheating purple slime so I'm happy. So good to take a win after a shit year. loved when the camera panned to Bellamy. I think I counted five f..ks in a six word sentence from him. There was something different out there today instead of the same dreary play that became the norm under McGregor. I don't put that down to DY either. Really looking forward to 2021 brings under Hook. Finally a change!!
Lets hope theres a lot more Fs from Bellamy in the finals

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I think if we count our tries for the year you will find we scored more from outside the 20 than than inside the 20.
What that says to me is that our coaches set plays are shit and we did our best work by not following his game plans.
Hopefully Hook allows us to continue with some ad lib plays but also provides some different scoring options inside the 20. We are not as bad as we have been playing........I hope
I agree it has been a problem for us for years close to the try line and as you rightly point out its poor set plays.....another reason is our forwards in particular dont hit the defensive line at pace, they just like to tow the opposition over..or just stroll through

_Johnsy

Referee
Cannot believe that he thinks that the 2 players on report have no case to answer ? To him their ‘ back-alley thuggery ‘ is all standard play . He has brought the game to a very low standard when he introduced the wrestling tactics ( bearing in mind that they did employ a Kwai Kwon Doe (?) instructor many seasons back ) compared with the free flowing rugby league that was enjoyed by zillions of fans over many decades .

We could write a volume of books based upon their illegal tactics over the years - probably on par with the G.O.T. books . But what’s the point , the powers to be have never taken concrete steps to stop this disgusting blight on the game . By doing nothing they have allowed the illegal tactics to not only continue , but flourish .

As a consequence most teams now need to do the same to stay on par with the Storm .
Salary cap scandal and the most decrepit style of defense has sent the game backwards .

Rant over .:rage:
As I posted in JA.

I have no doubt that tackle was deliberate. I think the main culprit was B. Smith. Watch the tacklle again.
1. They wrap up Lawrie.
2. Smith moves to the left (as you look at the screen), Welch has the ball wrapped up.
3. King comes in and places himself behind one of Lawrie's legs.
4. When King is in position, Smith clearly looks down to if King is in position. At this point the tackle has been completed.
5. Then Smith makes a conscious decision to force Lawrie backwards over Kings body & continues until Lawrie's back is on the ground ensuring maximum pressure is applied to Lawrie's body (knee & ankle takes all of the force as they are the two moving parts pinned.) 100% intent to injure.

Brandon Smith is the main culprit who inflicts the injuring motion in this tackle and shouldn't play another game this year. Smith deserves a month out & King 2 weeks.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
A win is a win and no one will read the teams in 12 months.
Some positives in the fact that we do have some good young players coming through and now hopefully a decent coaching staff will develop a solid squad in the coming 2/3 years.
Melbourne are a well coached club and they have all the dirty wrestling tricks down to a fine art as demonstrated via the shocker on Blake Laurie.

Gareth67

First Grade
As I posted in JA.

I have no doubt that tackle was deliberate. I think the main culprit was B. Smith. Watch the tacklle again.
1. They wrap up Lawrie.
2. Smith moves to the left (as you look at the screen), Welch has the ball wrapped up.
3. King comes in and places himself behind one of Lawrie's legs.
4. When King is in position, Smith clearly looks down to if King is in position. At this point the tackle has been completed.
5. Then Smith makes a conscious decision to force Lawrie backwards over Kings body & continues until Lawrie's back is on the ground ensuring maximum pressure is applied to Lawrie's body (knee & ankle takes all of the force as they are the two moving parts pinned.) 100% intent to injure.

Brandon Smith is the main culprit who inflicts the injuring motion in this tackle and shouldn't play another game this year. Smith deserves a month out & King 2 weeks.

Yes you are correct Johnsy . Calculated and pre-meditated , the intent was certainly there for all to see . Yet their coach blows up as one of the tele commentators has called it for what truly was - an intentional act to cause injury .

One can never accuse Bellamy of looking out off rose- colored glasses that’s for sure , but if he had a wart on his nose the size of a peanut , he would surely call it a beauty spot !
As you have said , I hope that the judiciary does their job with the integrity that is required to hold such a position and ban both players for the rest of the season .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting stat:

Friz had scored 1 try before yesterdays game, a grubber kick through from Hunt who was playing 7 that day.

Yesterday, Friz scores 2 trys. Clune to Bud to Dufty with Friz hitting the hole to score. The 2nd a neat chip kick from Bud.

The point here is in all his trys this season, Norman was not involved in the play.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Interesting stat:

Friz had scored 1 try before yesterdays game, a grubber kick through from Hunt who was playing 7 that day.

Yesterday, Friz scores 2 trys. Clune to Bud to Dufty with Friz hitting the hole to score. The 2nd a neat chip kick from Bud.

The point here is in all his trys this season, Norman was not involved in the play.
Not a big sample size though Dragonslayer. Norman aside, when I see how Friz ran that line yesterday to score, I can’t stop wondering why he hasn’t run similar lines over the past few seasons.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Not a big sample size though Dragonslayer. Norman aside, when I see how Friz ran that line yesterday to score, I can’t stop wondering why he hasn’t run similar lines over the past few seasons.

Because both clune and especially Sullivan provided Dufty with quick ball that allowed him to straighten and entice the defender creating the gap. The key thing being time from early ball. Whenever that pretender Norman gets the ball one pass wide he cocks about long enough to deny the guys outside of him time to asses the situation, and often when Frizz got that ‘late’ ball, all he felt he could do was come back on the angle because the play had shut down outside him.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Because both clune and especially Sullivan provided Dufty with quick ball that allowed him to straighten and entice the defender creating the gap. The key thing being early ball and time. Whenever that pretender Norman gets the ball one pass wide he cocks about long enough to deny the guys outside of him time to asses the situation, and often when Frizz got that ‘late’ ball, all he felt he could do was come back on the angle because the play had shut down outside him.
Been doing it for 5 years and Norman hasn’t been there that long.

thebigredv

First Grade
Why haven't King and Kamakamica been charged for their horrendous illegal plays yesterday? NRL just going to sweep it under the rug.

Lawrie almost had his knee snapped and Sullivan just about had his head taken off. Is anyone from our club going to kick up a fuss or are we just rolling over as usual, too busy with mad monday??

You can see why the same clubs end up in the same ends of the ladder each year.

jeffdragon

Bench
Why haven't King and Kamakamica been charged for their horrendous illegal plays yesterday? NRL just going to sweep it under the rug.

Lawrie almost had his knee snapped and Sullivan just about had his head taken off. Is anyone from our club going to kick up a fuss or are we just rolling over as usual, too busy with mad monday??

You can see why the same clubs end up in the same ends of the ladder each year.
Charges come out after lunch.