What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Changa

Juniors
Don't know if Bird is the right signing, but the club should look at bringing in an experienced, high quality left centre next year, to compliment the other backline junior talent coming through. The best teams have a mix of youth and experience; a blend Mary couldn't get right as it requires a coach capable of readying juniors for 1st grade.

I'm also hoping Saab has changed his mind and will stay on with the new coaching group announcement...He should be a lock for that right wing spot with competent staff guiding him this time.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Don't know if Bird is the right signing, but the club should look at bringing in an experienced, high quality left centre next year, to compliment the other backline junior talent coming through. The best teams have a mix of youth and experience; a blend Mary couldn't get right as it requires a coach capable of readying juniors for 1st grade.

I'm also hoping Saab has changed his mind and will stay on with the new coaching group announcement...He should be a lock for that right wing spot with competent staff guiding him this time.
Keen young juniors coming through, want to play for the Dragons; you will see the effort and pride in their eyes. I have in the past predicted Saab to be a top grade winger and sitll hold that view. However, if he stays at the Dragons it has to be because he wants to, Saab has to show that keeness and pride and if he is not fully on board, then let him go.

Our future in the backline looks good however, our immediate future is lacking a top line fullback who is robust, strong in defence and attack, and has the ability and confidence to take the high ball successfully. Frankly, we need a fullback who has these qualities and the experience to direct the team in defence and attack.

So, I feel we need a fullback in the RTS mode and with such a player, we should have the backline to compete well with the top teams of the competition. In time I expect young Schiller to fill this role but until then, we should recruit a more suitable fullback.

New fullback
Left wing - Matt Feagai
Left centre - Max Feagai
Right centre - Zac Lomax
Right wing - Ramsey
Five-eighth - Sullivan
Halfback - Clune or maybe Maloney

Let go Hunt and Norman and we should have some much needed salary cap to spend on two new props and an edge forward. If De Belin is unavailable, I'd go for T Sims at lock.

gregstar

Referee
We've avoided a grenade.

Good luck to the guy, but whilst he's talented, he has injury & health issues which are clearly hampering his career.

Given our luck, he'll probably become the next immortal, but if he came here you just know he'd be ironing jerseys, filling drinks bottles & stacking chairs. Injury permitting of course.

The calm one

Juniors
Keen young juniors coming through, want to play for the Dragons; you will see the effort and pride in their eyes. I have in the past predicted Saab to be a top grade winger and sitll hold that view. However, if he stays at the Dragons it has to be because he wants to, Saab has to show that keeness and pride and if he is not fully on board, then let him go.

Our future in the backline looks good however, our immediate future is lacking a top line fullback who is robust, strong in defence and attack, and has the ability and confidence to take the high ball successfully. Frankly, we need a fullback who has these qualities and the experience to direct the team in defence and attack.

So, I feel we need a fullback in the RTS mode and with such a player, we should have the backline to compete well with the top teams of the competition. In time I expect young Schiller to fill this role but until then, we should recruit a more suitable fullback.

New fullback
Left wing - Matt Feagai
Left centre - Max Feagai
Right centre - Zac Lomax
Right wing - Ramsey
Five-eighth - Sullivan

Let go Hunt and Norman and we should have some much needed salary cap to spend on two new props and an edge forward. If De Belin is unavailable, I'd go for T Sims at lock.
Where are you going to let Hunt and Norman go to. No one wants them

Reactions: jak

gregstar

Referee
New fullback
Left wing - Matt Feagai
Left centre - Max Feagai
Right centre - Zac Lomax
Right wing - Ramsey
Five-eighth - Sullivan

There is pretty much zilch experience in that backline.
I don't think you win comps without experience.

I'd actually keep cutie. I reckon the coach will have a better influence on him.

The guy was born to run. He should be a running halfback ala Mortimer & Langer.
That is when he's at his best.

I reckon if he did that, he'd shine again. He's certainly got experience & this coach should be able to extract his best unlike the imposter we had before.

Norman however is a clapped out Fiat.
Make him drinks runner (on the proviso he has to hand over bottles & not pass them)

Puff

First Grade
There is pretty much zilch experience in that backline.
I don't think you win comps without experience.

I'd actually keep cutie. I reckon the coach will have a better influence on him.

The guy was born to run. He should be a running halfback ala Mortimer & Langer.
That is when he's at his best.

I reckon if he did that, he'd shine again. He's certainly got experience & this coach should be able to extract his best unlike the imposter we had before.

Norman however is a clapped out Fiat.
Make him drinks runner (on the proviso he has to hand over bottles & not pass them)

We aren’t winning the competition next year. We are in rebuild mode. I don’t have a problem with a young backline. With the view we are building to 2022. More important is an experienced engine room and halves to drive everything.

Walpole

Juniors

New fullback
Left wing - Matt Feagai
Left centre - Max Feagai
Right centre - Zac Lomax
Right wing - Ramsey
Five-eighth - Sullivan

I know you'll keep pushing for blokes that aren't available but Matt Dufty will be our fullback next year (which you'll find most impartial judges agree on). RTS will be playing for the Warriors and you really need to let go of this "letting go" of Hunt and Norman. If no-one else wants to do a trade for them they'll be with the Dragons next year. We're used to carrying one high profile, non-playing big name on good money so Norman can fill that spot in the reggies but Hunt will be in the team. For better or worse we're paying these blokes a fortune and whether they play or not they'll be under our salary cap next season.

Anyway, carry on.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I also wonder also if by signing Bird we are sending signals to the market of the Dragons again recycling either bad boys category types (which we do well) or the past their best, but we ‘still squeeze some juice out of the lemon’ types players.

Been in that space for a while and now that we’re organically growing some promising players, lets play this out a bit more while we change our identity. That said, agree with sentiments of a sprinkle of experience but this feels a bit ‘gamblish and ‘desperate’ - I’d pass!

gregstar

Referee
We aren’t winning the competition next year. We are in rebuild mode. I don’t have a problem with a young backline. With the view we are building to 2022. More important is an experienced engine room and halves to drive everything.
Young back lines without a veteran aren’t gonna learn anything. Only defeat and no confidence. A veteran or two is a must. Just not Norman.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It's becoming even more ridiculous if you ask me.

Bird still has a year to run on his Broncos contract, reportedly 950k. Of course the Broncos are trying to offload him. It's a major chunk of their salary cap on a player who's played 17 games out of a possible 75+ and has a history of injuries.

Why would he, as some have reported, change clubs on an incentive type contract (even if the Broncs tip in 500k). Like here's 20k per game if you play, and it's $0 for every game you don't.
Would you take that or stay safe wirhbthe knowledge you get $950k wether you play 1 game or 20?

Frankly, for me, Bird can stay in Brisbane, as I would rather invest that salary in keeping the promising players we have already.

True_Believer

Juniors
Why would he, as some have reported, change clubs on an incentive type contract (even if the Broncs tip in 500k). Like here's 20k per game if you play, and it's $0 for every game you don't.
Would you take that or stay safe wirhbthe knowledge you get $950k wether you play 1 game or 20?

This is especially true for some players - Bird is one of them. I'd class Norman as one and now AFB is another. They go where the money is - they are mercenaries chasing money above all else.

They wouldn't look sideways at a contract that has them earning less money.

possm

Coach
This is especially true for some players - Bird is one of them. I'd class Norman as one and now AFB is another. They go where the money is - they are mercenaries chasing money above all else.

They wouldn't look sideways at a contract that has them earning less money.
The now Brisbane Coach selected Norman and Hunt in the Qld side, maybe he will be interested in Norman and/or Hunt or both.

redv13

Bench
The now Brisbane Coach selected Norman and Hunt in the Qld side, maybe he will be interested in Norman and/or Hunt or both.
That would be lovely possm. I’m fine with Hunt staying if we buy a few big bodies up front but ta ta slim shady, you can piss off asap

getsmarty

Immortal
Poor kid is riddled with arthritis as well as having a number of major injuries since joining the Broncs...I wish him all the best, but unless its an incentive based or lower end contract ( which will not happen ) it is a pass from me....not enough value for the money in regards to what we would have to pay. ( around 500K)...that would buy a good healthy genuine back or forward for our squad.

We already have JDB missing until the courts decide his matter, why would you want to risk another spot in our Top 30 ?