What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie Blacker ...one to watch

Qapm

Juniors

Even though I agreed with Possm's points, George S raises an interesting point and I hit his comment with a like.

On a multitude of levels the less that NRL is like the NFL the better. Smaller and local is always better. The regional bit always came in with features such as City vs. Country, State of Origin and recently all the international teams playing a series.

George Sancti

Juniors
Even though I agreed with Possm's points, George S raises an interesting point and I hit his comment with a like.

On a multitude of levels the less that NRL is like the NFL the better. Smaller and local is always better. The regional bit always came in with features such as City vs. Country, State of Origin and recently all the international teams playing a series.
Yes you can definitely go too big, and I think the Super Rugby concept has demonstrated that. I am thinking more along the lines of regional teams.

My fourteen team completion would comprise:

- St George Illawarra Dragons
- Parramatta Bulldogs
- Macarthur Tigers
- Penrith Western Districts Panthers
- Manly Gosford Sea Eagles
- Eastern Sydney Feuds
- Newcastle Knights
- Brisbane Broncos
- Redcliffe Dolphins
- Gold Coast Tweed Chargers
- North Queensland Cowboys
- Melbourne Storm
- Canberra Raiders
- New Zealand Warriors

redv13

Bench
Yes you can definitely go too big, and I think the Super Rugby concept has demonstrated that. I am thinking more along the lines of regional teams.

My fourteen team completion would comprise:

- St George Illawarra Dragons
- Parramatta Bulldogs
- Macarthur Tigers
- Penrith Western Districts Panthers
- Manly Gosford Sea Eagles
- Eastern Sydney Feuds
- Newcastle Knights
- Brisbane Broncos
- Redcliffe Dolphins
- Gold Coast Tweed Chargers
- North Queensland Cowboys
- Melbourne Storm
- Canberra Raiders
- New Zealand Warriors
Parramatta Bulldogs!! The supporters would kill each other b4 cheering that team on

Gareth67

First Grade

Agree , over the last 20 odd years they have indeed attempted to ‘ Americanize ‘ our game to the games detriment .

From the field markings - every 10 meters - to the expansion of the number of players- 19 , down to 17 from the original 13 plus 2 reserves. Even the players team numbers , once the props were 13 + 11 , now 10 + 9 .

I suppose that some of it could be attributed to the increase television telecasts and contracts etc . However as they say , why fix it if it ain’t broken ?

possm

Coach
Possm, I agree with all of your points.

However, I see the day when small local area teams (Souths and Easts included) will be replaced by larger regional teams as was the Super League concept. Keeping the Illawarra ensures St George’s survival well into the future.
The Illawarra has a long association with St George and I hope always will have. But St George does not have an exlusive call on the juniors from the Illawarra. Other clubs have simply plucked promising juniors from the Illawarra and included them in their own junior competition teams.

George Sancti

Juniors
The Illawarra has a long association with St George and I hope always will have. But St George does not have an exlusive call on the juniors from the Illawarra. Other clubs have simply plucked promising juniors from the Illawarra and included them in their own junior competition teams.

From the governing body’s perspective, they care about the overall support of the game and by extending local area clubs to regional clubs, support should expand.

As supporters we see the competition being other NRL teams, and you are correct we cannot prevent the competition from moving on our juniors. However, the governing body sees the competition being soccer, Victorian Football etc and is focussed on deterring junior rugby league players from switching codes. I believe that over time (possibly after we have been moved on) the game will be develop on a regional basis.

possm

Coach
From the governing body’s perspective, they care about the overall support of the game and by extending local area clubs to regional clubs, support should expand.

As supporters we see the competition being other NRL teams, and you are correct we cannot prevent the competition from moving on our juniors. However, the governing body sees the competition being soccer, Victorian Football etc and is focussed on deterring junior rugby league players from switching codes. I believe that over time (possibly after we have been moved on) the game will be develop on a regional basis.
Yes, but then the NRL should put their money where their mouth is. Allowing the likes of the Roosters to operate a very small junior competition with no responsibility to help expand the game as you described.

St George Illawarra should take a leaf out of Penrith's book and buy up all of the leagues club's in the Illawarra districts and then offer selected players school and sport scholarships extending/renewing all the way through their tertiary education (academic or trade). These scholarships also include funding for the early rugby league career with regards to uniforms, professional coaching, body fitness and development, a good dietary program and if/when selected, support when representing the districts Illawarra or St George.

Other NRL clubs wanting to recruit our juniors under scholarship would have to pay a termination fee to the SGI Junior League.

In addition the NRL should compensate SGI and other junior development clubs for their services provided.

George Sancti

Juniors
Yes, but then the NRL should put their money where their mouth is. Allowing the likes of the Roosters to operate a very small junior competition with no responsibility to help expand the game as you described.

St George Illawarra should take a leaf out of Penrith's book and buy up all of the leagues club's in the Illawarra districts and then offer selected players school and sport scholarships extending/renewing all the way through their tertiary education (academic or trade). These scholarships also include funding for the early rugby league career with regards to uniforms, professional coaching, body fitness and development, a good dietary program and if/when selected, support when representing the districts Illawarra or St George.

Other NRL clubs wanting to recruit our juniors under scholarship would have to pay a termination fee to the SGI Junior League.

In addition the NRL should compensate SGI and other junior development clubs for their services provided.

The concept of a termination (poaching) fee is a very good idea and whilst it would not increase general support for the game, it would benefit development clubs like St George Illawarra.

SaintPauli

Juniors
The rorters practically own every leagues club in central coast and benefit with that regions local talent too. Hence why rorters don't support an nrl expansion team in Cent. Coast! Although it's an ideal location for expansion.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The rorters practically own every leagues club in central coast and benefit with that regions local talent too. Hence why rorters don't support an nrl expansion team in Cent. Coast! Although it's an ideal location for expansion.
They should relocate there. Too many teams in Sydney. No need for teams that don’t produce players locally.

possm

Coach
Given the NRL's solution is to relocate St George to
Wollongong, maybe they should relocate the Rorters to the central coat and give Souths the Eastern Suburbs district!

Back on topic, I'd say that Blacker has a great future at the Dragons, especially now that Griffin is our new head coach. I see Blacker being included as out 5th prop in rotation irrespective of the props Griffin recruits for next season. He is a big young prop with heaps of potential and I'd say he will only improve if given increasing minutes off the bench in 2021. Surely, his involvement in games would have to be an improvement on the strategy Mary/Young used - a five minute stint towards the end of games for fringe first grade players.

I'd like to see Blacker start the season getting 5min before and after half time with extra minutes given as his impact on games and his overall fitness improves.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Given the NRL's solution is to relocate St George to
Wollongong, maybe they should relocate the Rorters to the central coat and give Souths the Eastern Suburbs district!
Well we’re back to 1996 again! Balmain Tigers were close to going and in hindsight possibly should have as they would’ve been a stand alone club. They have a huge support up the Central Coast, more so than Easts. When Easts play up the Central Coast and get crowds I think its mainly due to the fact that they only have one or two games there a year (excluding Covid) and CC fans are just starved of live football. Still it’s got merit.

Find it ‘ironic’ that whist everyone was trying to meet the criteria in those days (1997) to survive, Easts failed in the areas of number of fanbase and junior league teams, yet they are now the power club of the competition....

BBTB

Juniors

That's the way forward, I like it, I like it a lot.