What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

TheParraboy

Staff member
Kiwis fearing Warner and Wade?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29997683/new-zealand-secure-extra-australia-t20is

New Zealand have secured a home Twenty20 international series against Australia in late February and early March - at the same time as the team coached by Justin Langer is meant to be playing a Test series in South Africa - as part of a more complete schedule than might have been expected in the time of Covid-19.

On Tuesday, New Zealand Cricket announced that it would go ahead with Test Championship series against the West Indies and Pakistan as outlined in the Future Tours Program, while also fulfilling a commitment to play limited-overs matches against Bangladesh.

The only home series that has fallen by the wayside relative to the original FTP is a tour by Sri Lanka, while the arrival of an Australian T20I side for five matches between February 22 and March 7 will be a considerable boost for the NZC coffers. It is unclear as yet whether this will be a full-strength touring team, given the FTP states that the Australians are due to play a Test series in South Africa in February and March as part of their own Test Championship obligations.

Among other tours in the works, the New Zealand women's team will host England for a series in February and March, while negotiations for an Australian tour of New Zealand is ongoing.

ALSO READ: If Australia's Test and T20I teams played on the same day, what would the XIs be?

"Hosting these tours is incredibly important to us for two reasons: international cricket brings in revenue that funds the entire game of cricket in New Zealand and, also, it's crucial that we look after the fans of the game and sport in general, especially during these difficult times," the NZC chief executive David White said.

"We've worked very closely with Cricket Australia in what is, really, a unique set of circumstances - and we can't speak highly enough of their commitment to the global game. The same goes for the West Indies, Pakistan, Bangladesh and England - right across the board in cricket there's been a real spirit of cooperation."

The schedule unveiled by NZC also leaves room for the country's domestic T20 tournament, the Super Smash, to be played largely free of clashes with international cricket in January and early February, after the postponement of a limited-overs tour of Australia originally slated for late January.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We are playing 4 tests (starting 3/12/20) and 3 ODI (in Jan 2021) v INDIA this summer, according to cricinfo
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/_/id/19846/india-in-australia-2020-21

Now Fox Sports been doing a generic ad/clip saying India is coming and first up will be limited overs series (Thankfully its not Nable doing the voice over)

Anyone have dates for these?

I am assuming it will be a t20 series before the test series and after 10/11/20 as thats when IPL is done and dusted

Bazal

Post Whore
Jesus, Brad Stodge is nauseating on 7. Is simulcast on FFS. Such a wanker FIGJAM.

I do know what its like to be in sublime form like this (referring to Meg Lanning's form)

f**k me, what a douche

I actually don't mind Hodge these days. His work in the Grade Cricketer and other podcasts won me over somewhat

He's definitely a bit of a douche but he also knows that and plays it up. He's pretty funny and he tells a good story. I don't reckon he's suited for telly cos he can't say 50% of what he probably wants to

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Guys I was watching kayo and guess what I heard ?

The one and only Matt nable cutting a cricket promo. How goods this bloke

When it comes to Steve Waugh, the guy was a 19 year old kid, thrust in to the national spotlight in 1985/86 when Australian cricket was going through a tumultuous time.

Ch 9 would death ride him early on. Watching the old 1980s ODI repeats on FOX, the amount of times they'd dig at him when he lost a wicket or did something erroneous in the field is not lost in time. But take a good look...Steve Waugh was the prototypical 'modern' cricketer.

And I think because of his baptism of fire over the first 4-5 years, he grew hard edged. When he finally became captain, he had to pull together a team of stars in the golden generation. Imagine having Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Lee, Gillespie, MacGill...all at your disposal?!? He managed to keep that all in check and win.

He was Ice Cold? Hmmm...maybe. Steely determined I'd say. A Bankstown boy who gave no inch, no quarter...reared on the sporting fields, indoor nets and squash courts of SW Sydney, where no one got any favours.

Even at the end, despite a resume that was littered with moments, the press hounded him for a good 2-3 years on the 'when are you gonna retire?!?' front.

I don't blame him for 'disappearing'. But I don't think he did. He just didn't whore himself to the press or cricket media like other 'celebrity' FIGJAM cricketers. Like the old gunslinger, he went off and did his own thing. If anyone is interested, he's done plenty.

Let's face it too - if you played cricket for a good 30 years, you'd probably want a break too. So off he went. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to, you could track him down. I did. He gave me his time freely when I asked. The guy is a genuine star. But he's not a celebrity-star.

Anyway. That's my two cents worth.