What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 finals Eels v Souths at Bankwest (and team list)

lingard

Coach
If and i don't want to be controversial but if we get towelled up and exposed again down our right side does the club have a courageous conversation with BA and say this has gone on far too long without being rectified...time to go.
Before anyone gets too emotional we need to remember the right side defensive issues and to a lesser extent the left has been happening for quite a few years...i like BA. I just don't think he can take us to a premiership or compete against the likes of Bellamy, Robinson or Bennett. Boy i fkn hope I'm wrong though...

I reckon Michael Jennings has to play right centre for this game. Souths notoriously concentrate their attack down that side. If Waqa plays right centre, South's will score plenty.

lingard

Coach
BA is not the greatest but not terrible. I think he likes a tough big side that is aggressive. We have that. It works. But we lack the speed.

Fergo and MJ used to be fast. Perhaps BA didn't expect them to slow down so quickly......

Sivo was only purchased as a back up. His form was to good to drop.

I was excited when was signed Blake. He had potential to be best centre in game. Just lacks heart and desire. This needs to be unlocked. I reckon it is why Panthers flicked him. Kind of gave up trying.

M. Jennings is still fast enough. Waqa lacks a brain. (More difficult than a heart transplant, so I'm told.)

Noise

Coach
Did anyone get tickets? Ticketek are saying not enough tix for me in every category. :grimacing:
I got them. I logged on right at 10am and wanted 4 but got denied, tried again and it let me. Weird system how your one member ticket can get you 4 but then you have to select 1

lingard

Coach
Probably sounding a bit obvious but our advantage is a better turnaround compared to theirs. Souths did look fast but I suppose the Knights made them look good, they have been awful lately.

Lets hope its not a repeat of the 38-0 game.

Btw, this will only be the second time we've met in finals history. The last time goes way back to 1965, we lost in an elimination semi, 17-2.

I think we led 2-nil early after a penalty goal to Arch Brown. I remember listening to it on a transistor radio in the backyard at 53 Rydalmere Avenue, East Parramatta. I was ten years old. Memories.

Gazzamatta

Coach
About as many hypothetical Origin players as we have if you ask our unicorn fans. The problem is hypothetical Origin matches don't provide big game experience for finals time. Arthur described us as dumb last night, and in the context of rugby league, dumb is another way of saying inexperienced. Just like how the Panthers dropped their bundle and scraped home against a busted Roosters side with no dummy half.
Early in our season post covid I reckon these guys were well in contention for Origin.
Gutho
Fergo
Moses
Brown
Matto
Lane
Paulo
RCG
Rheed
Probably compares favourably with The Pennys.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Regretably I cant attend this week. Dads nursing home has just reopened for visits from my area after 12 weeks but given Parramatta remains a Hot Spot I would need to wait 14 days after Saturdays game to visit him. Small price to pay in the scheme of things but dissappointing nonetheless.
Have fun boys. Cheer for me.
Go you Magnificent Eels.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Early in our season post covid I reckon these guys were well in contention for Origin.
Gutho
Fergo
Moses
Brown
Matto
Lane
Paulo
RCG
Rheed
Probably compares favourably with The Pennys.
If they were in contention it's because they played well consistently over 18 months. Is 18 months long enough to get picked in Origin? It all depends on how well the incumbents are going. But the point is that being in contention for Origin doesn't give you the big game experience of actually playing Origin. The Eels and Panthers teams also lack finals experience.

strider

Post Whore
Panthers have one origin player from last years series. The Storm have 3 (one of them only played the third game). It’s incredibly lazy to measure a teams ability solely by the number of origin players they have.
the storm actually have 4 ... Addo-Carr, Munster, Kaufusi, Welsch ... plus Funicane if he wasn't injured ... and we all know Smith would be .... so I would say technically 6

plus they have 5 NZ internationals (ie also top tier reps inelligible for SOO) - Bromwiches x2, NAS, Hughes, BSmith

So 11 top tier rep players in their top 17 .... plus clearly papynhausen will be .... then their numpties - Olam, Vunicane, Tino

Parra has - Fergo who may well not be anymore .... Gutho and Mahoney I think will make the squads but not play a game ... Junior, RCG would have been locks earlier in the year, unsure now - similar Matto ... Nrown never quite gets to that level, tho is probably capable .... Drown maybe fringe NZ ... Moses won't make SOO ..... potentially no one will play a rep game

Gronk

Staff member
the storm actually have 4 ... Addo-Carr, Munster, Kaufusi, Welsch ... plus Funicane if he wasn't injured ... and we all know Smith would be .... so I would say technically 6

plus they have 5 NZ internationals (ie also top tier reps inelligible for SOO) - Bromwiches x2, NAS, Hughes, BSmith

So 11 top tier rep players in their top 17 .... plus clearly papynhausen will be .... then their numpties - Olam, Vunicane, Tino

Parra has - Fergo who may well not be anymore .... Gutho and Mahoney I think will make the squads but not play a game ... Junior, RCG would have been locks earlier in the year, unsure now - similar Matto ... Nrown never quite gets to that level, tho is probably capable .... Drown maybe fringe NZ ... Moses won't make SOO ..... potentially no one will play a rep game
Listening to 2MMM yesterday they all reckon Jnr has pretty much sewn up a bench spot for SOO.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If they were in contention it's because they played well consistently over 18 months. Is 18 months long enough to get picked in Origin? It all depends on how well the incumbents are going. But the point is that being in contention for Origin doesn't give you the big game experience of actually playing Origin. The Eels and Panthers teams also lack finals experience.
Whilst I agree Poo, the fickle media can talk up Origin chances for a player after one or a couple of good games. Eg Brimson as good as he is. Once the media drive an agenda the rest usually follows. If Moses has 3 magnificent games to end his season watch the talk start.

hindy111

Post Whore
Whilst I agree Poo, the fickle media can talk up Origin chances for a player after one or a couple of good games. Eg Brimson as good as he is. Once the media drive an agenda the rest usually follows. If Moses has 3 magnificent games to end his season watch the talk start.

No. Cleary is so far ahead of him. Even if Moses played perfect till rnd 10 next year Cleary will keep his spot.

Gazzamatta

Coach

Im a huge fan of Lane. I know his form dipped probably because of his work load but he showed just how bloody good he is on the weekend. I would much prefer Lane to Frizzel.

Gazzamatta

Coach
No. Cleary is so far ahead of him. Even if Moses played perfect till rnd 10 next year Cleary will keep his spot.
I don't disagree Hindy but it wont stop the media. Lets face it after Cleary who is there apart from moving Keary to 7 and Walker or Wighton to 6?