What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

That's how I've always seen it used. In the final year of a player's contract he is 'off contract'. Obviously it's semantics but I've seen it used that many times that that is how I understand it. To be honest I'm surprised that people are struggling with it.

I don't think people are confused if you just say 'Andrew Davey is off contract'......he's obviously not out of contract at the moment, so it can only mean his (he's ) contract is soon going to expire.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think people are confused if you just say 'Andrew Davey is off contract'......he's obviously not out of contract at the moment, so it can only mean his (he's ) contract is soon going to expire.
Yeah that's how I see it. Whenever I've read or heard about a player being off contract I've never gone "WTF merkin?!? He's playing right now ffs! Why is he playing for free?? Who's covering his insurance???"

It seems pretty obvious what is meant by 'off contract'.

Yeah that's how I see it. Whenever I've read or heard about a player being off contract I've never gone "WTF merkin?!? He's playing right now ffs! Why is he playing for free?? Who's covering his insurance???"

It seems pretty obvious what is meant by 'off contract'.

Yeh, but not if you say 'he off contract on Nov 30 this year', to most people that means his contract ends on Nov 30 this year.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I don't think Fergo's slowed up all that much. Besides, it's his strength and finesse that are his main attributes anyway. I just think having Waqa inside him has f**ked his game.

He went with Ado-Carr more than a coupla times in defence, yeah JAC made meters, but he never burned him, and obviously he's seriously quick.

Fergo's still got plenty of speed, but he's a big body and hasn't got the acceleration of the mark.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'd agree with Pou, "off contract" in the rugba leg vernacular means free to negotiate, and we're splitting hairs on "next year" , because next year starts as the contract year rolls over, and the rules state clubs are free to approach players in the final year of their contract.

Everyone understands that to be the case, so I don't even know why there'd be any argument.

I know this isn't the first time this discussion has been had but when I read Gronk's post that said off contract from whenever I thought, "Oh, has it really been three years for Fergo?"

Soto

Bench
why hasn't our defence coach guru been able to fix wacka's stupidity he's had all year to fix it
I'm sure we will find even when Jenko went to right centre Fergo was in too close to him on a few occasions.
Regardless why hasn't this problem been fixed?
Our compressed defence in the middle doesn't slide as the attacking team shifts to the left. Still no excuse for a winger to score untouched. Its happened too many times.
I would hope if Soufs try that then Alex Johnston is smashed into the 1st row of Bankwest...parra be ready soufs will be trying it. Plus we need to be ready for when Walker runs behind Reynolds and receives the ball on the outside shoulder of the decoy runner...smash him too

Bandwagon

Staff member
I know this isn't the first time this discussion has been had but when I read Gronk's post that said off contract from whenever I thought, "Oh, has it really been three years for Fergo?"

The problem there was the association between being off contract, and what it means for next year.

Because off contract is still under contract, which isn't what that post implied.

gaffer

Juniors
apparently annersley is going to look into the grubby tactic by storm for stopping our momentum by faking a cramp What grubby shit will they come up with next But reading between the lines nothing will happen to them other than more arse kissing

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'd agree with Pou, "off contract" in the rugba leg vernacular means free to negotiate, and we're splitting hairs on "next year" , because next year starts as the contract year rolls over, and the rules state clubs are free to approach players in the final year of their contract.

Everyone understands that to be the case, so I don't even know why there'd be any argument.
Do you even LU??? FFS!!