What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wk2 Finals: Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread (10/10/20)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Defense is based on game management. Slowing game down. Giving guys a rest when needed.

We never kick for touch and struggle to force repeat sets. We always have a few poor kick chases.I feel these s all areas are what costs us a lot of the time.
I consider kick chase part of defence. As for kicking, Moses' long kicking has been superb this year, no doubt a big part of our solid defensive record. His short kicking has dropped off a cliff, I assume due to whatever he is doing/wearing to protect his calf.

As far as finding touch, how many kickers ever do that any more? Teams always drop their wingers on the last because no team ever dares run it on the last inside their own half. The best thing these days is kick it long but high enough for the kick chase to arrive in time.

lingard

Coach
Well, I've just got to say, that was one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen from a Parramatta side. To have our two wingers absent; Marata absent; and Jennings ruled out on gamed day - and then put in a performance like that - is truly astounding. And it speaks volumes for Arthur's ability to rally a side under adversity. Imagine if Easts lost Morris, Tupou and, say, Butcher, and then lost Manu on game day? And then ask them to play South Sydney in a sudden death semi-final.
Clint Gutherson. My God! Why did I ever want him moved from fullback? Astounding!
I'm so proud of my team today. Go Parra!

hindy111

Post Whore
Sivo isnt one of our best wingers.

George have us speed and took a pass from Gutherson that Sivo would of been stuck on half way..... His defense was also superior.

Gutsy? It's a finals game. Did you expect less?

Delboy

First Grade
The team is so close to making the jump to premiers , a solid starting 13 or so, the pressure is now on the recruitment team to get busy and emulate what we see from clubs like Souths and Roosters and get good players signed and delivered. No reference to sombreros etc, although a westie version would be nice, that is not what we have so get creative around our positives.

There is a fair bit of not again from the supporter base, and it will need a good off season of New recruits and juniors to take some of the pain from the finish of the year away.

Eelogical

Referee
The team is so close to making the jump to premiers , a solid starting 13 or so, the pressure is now on the recruitment team to get busy and emulate what we see from clubs like Souths and Roosters and get good players signed and delivered. No reference to sombreros etc, although a westie version would be nice, that is not what we have so get creative around our positives.

There is a fair bit of not again from the supporter base, and it will need a good off season of New recruits and juniors to take some of the pain from the finish of the year away.
The next level will include a bench that loses nothing and no more Penrith rejects.

Eelogical

Referee
Sivo isnt one of our best wingers.

George have us speed and took a pass from Gutherson that Sivo would of been stuck on half way..... His defense was also superior.

Gutsy? It's a finals game. Did you expect less?
Well, he was the leading try scorer last year. What happened? Second year syndrome? Kava? He had his best talents coached out of him?

Soto

Bench
Well, I've just got to say, that was one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen from a Parramatta side. To have our two wingers absent; Marata absent; and Jennings ruled out on gamed day - and then put in a performance like that - is truly astounding. And it speaks volumes for Arthur's ability to rally a side under adversity. Imagine if Easts lost Morris, Tupou and, say, Butcher, and then lost Manu on game day? And then ask them to play South Sydney in a sudden death semi-final.
Clint Gutherson. My God! Why did I ever want him moved from fullback? Astounding!
I'm so proud of my team today. Go Parra!
Agree and based on the circumstances a monster effort. However the fact we were up and well and truly on top at halftime is an ongoing concern.
The 80 minute performance again alluded us.
Our bench proved to be our achilles heel.
Yes if Moses gets the goal its 20 all. Or if Guth grounds the ball...and no intercept etc. However its now 3 times in 4 years out in the 2nd week.
Will also say poor use of the bench. For mine a prop short and Kaufusi over Stone anyday. Was a Stone fan but just don't think he's good enough. Glad Evans is gone. Marata, Kaufusi, Lane and Will Smith/? on the bench nxt yr is far more formidable than ydays bench. The bench looked wrong.
On many occassions we have come back from the halftime break looking flat. Major concern.
I think the signs were there from about 8-10 weeks ago.
Its time for Kidwell and Murphy to go.
Get Flanagan in asap and Kimmorley/ Jason Taylor. Or even look at utilising Thurston/ Slater. I think we need some new ideas. We are close but yet still so far.

Hopefully we have 2 gun players join the team (backrower and wing/centre) and id like to see an investment in our juniors just like penrith.
The nucleus is there. A few astute additions, hopefully a few of our boys play SOO too to give them that big game, high intensity experience and better roster management to take us further next year...
It sucks going out but hopefully its identified what is needed to be at the top..dont forget Penrith figured it out...we can too

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Regarding our bench, Kaufusi still has a lot of improvement in him and is a big boy. Marata is also getting better

if we could get an edge player to replace Lane, this bench is pretty solid:

14. TBC utility ( wouldn’t mind peats)
15. Kaufusi
16 Marata
17. Lane

Eelogical

Referee
Regarding our bench, Kaufusi still has a lot of improvement in him and is a big boy. Marata is also getting better

if we could get an edge player to replace Lane, this bench is pretty solid:

14. TBC utility ( wouldn’t mind peats)
15. Kaufusi
16 Marata
17. Lane

No Peats, he's water under the bridge. We need a bench player with a knickname like Mongo, Cracka or Nitro.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A good thing or a bad thing?
A few merkins did good stuff on that play. Drown did well by chasing hard. Cook and Knight did well in how they responded to it. The only one who didn't do well was Takairangi, who took the opportunity to have a breather while defending his tryline.