What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacob Host

hermidale1

Juniors
I actually think he started the year pretty well this year until he got injured and was playing injured for a while. Again its my hope that Flanno coaches the reserve grade team so we can really get a look at which players come along and which ones we let get for 2021. There could be some real diamonds that just need a polish and there might be some that look good now but will turn out to not really make it.
He hasn't been coached correctly to his strengths. He runs a great line and only 1 or 2 halves he has played with in all grades have used him the right way. A Luke Keary, Cooper Cronk, even a Reynolds would help him.
But our halves have been ordinary to say the least. That's why our edges end up being battering rams.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He hasn't been coached correctly to his strengths. He runs a great line and only 1 or 2 halves he has played with in all grades have used him the right way. A Luke Keary, Cooper Cronk, even a Reynolds would help him.
But our halves have been ordinary to say the least. That's why our edges end up being battering rams.
i watched a few of his CC games and he was great. He’s a pretty big unit is fit and runs hard. Hopefully our halves can gel this year with all the positional switching rubbish from this year.

Old Timer

Coach
Insightful post.
All our edge players are busted by mid way through the season due to bad game plans and poor play by our halves.
Hole running is not part of our DNA.

possm

Coach
But Millward has signed two highly priced halves at a price equal or above most halves in the competition. It could be said that Host has an advantage over most up and coming backrowers in the competition.

BLM01

First Grade
But Millward has signed two highly priced halves at a price equal or above most halves in the competition. It could be said that Host has an advantage over most up and coming backrowers in the competition.
So Millward has done a good job then. :cool: Any advantage is nullified by coaching game plans

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ah, Melbourne Cup day, picking a winner reminds me how similar it is to recruitement of footballers. A bit of a lottery. The most expensive horse doesn't always win as in the most expensive player doesn't always deliver the goods. The favourite doesn't always win and like players favoured players dont always perform. The unknowns are often winners as in NRL players ie: who were Brian To'o or Mika Silvo or Bronson Xerri or CNK, to name a few, before the start of 2019? They were really nobody's.

Of course I'm having a punt today and maybe back the winner. Maybe the Dragons are doing the same!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Ah, Melbourne Cup day, picking a winner reminds me how similar it is to recruitement of footballers. A bit of a lottery. The most expensive horse doesn't always win as in the most expensive player doesn't always deliver the goods. The favourite doesn't always win and like players favoured players dont always perform. The unknowns are often winners as in NRL players ie: who were Brian To'o or Mika Silvo or Bronson Xerri or CNK, to name a few, before the start of 2019? They were really nobody's.

Of course I'm having a punt today and maybe back the winner. Maybe the Dragons are doing the same!
Yeah you are right, and in fairness to the Dragons Rava and Pearson May have turned out to be the two mentioned. It is a gamble to a fair extent. I still think Pearson could go alright with a decent centre inside him.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Yeah I get it that none of our team are coached well. It’s a given, but there are players who just don’t have that edge to make them a top line player. Yes injury has certainly played its part with Host but on the evidence he has produced, in my mind he is not much more than a bench player. He can run good lines and he has the necessary pace for a back rower, but he lacks punch and physicality. Is he a player who other sides would worry about? No. Should he be a player we keep? Yes. Given our lack of recruitment Host is needed for depth. He will play a fair bit of first grade this year, provided he doesn’t get injured, because despite expecting a poor year, I know we will have between three and five Origin players in our side again. Somewhat comic I know given our results in 2019 and what will probably happen again in 2020. Overall I think Host is at best a pretty average footballer. Hope he proves me wrong, but the amount of space given to him on this Forum compared to what his efforts really deserve are pretty disproportional. Yes I know he has been “Maryised” , but a player has to stand on their feet when it comes to ability. As I said, an average player.

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah I get it that none of our team are coached well. It’s a given, but there are players who just don’t have that edge to make them a top line player. Yes injury has certainly played its part with Host but on the evidence he has produced, in my mind he is not much more than a bench player. He can run good lines and he has the necessary pace for a back rower, but he lacks punch and physicality. Is he a player who other sides would worry about? No. Should he be a player we keep? Yes. Given our lack of recruitment Host is needed for depth. He will play a fair bit of first grade this year, provided he doesn’t get injured, because despite expecting a poor year, I know we will have between three and five Origin players in our side again. Somewhat comic I know given our results in 2019 and what will probably happen again in 2020. Overall I think Host is at best a pretty average footballer. Hope he proves me wrong, but the amount of space given to him on this Forum compared to what his efforts really deserve are pretty disproportional. Yes I know he has been “Maryised” , but a player has to stand on their feet when it comes to ability. As I said, an average player.
Tell me someone who can stand tall under our regime?
At club level who is on the up?
In respect of our rep players I believe the following to be true.
Vaughan had 1 really good season and has not been at the same level repeatedly since his 1st season with us.
Sims read the line above.
Frizzell is on a downward spiral and getting more and more busted but is far better in a rep game than a club game.
Hunt playing hooker at rep level so much for being a marquis half.
Norman was a joke of a selection at SOO which IMO will never be repeated.
I honestly believe there are better options at rep level than our players but somehow they keep getting selected which IMHO is a mystery.
If you are truthful in your assessment of players you could easily bypass our lot at rep level and they would not be missed.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Tell me someone who can stand tall under our regime?
At club level who is on the up?
In respect of our rep players I believe the following to be true.
Vaughan had 1 really good season and has not been at the same level repeatedly since his 1st season with us.
Sims read the line above.
Frizzell is on a downward spiral and getting more and more busted but is far better in a rep game than a club game.
Hunt playing hooker at rep level so much for being a marquis half.
Norman was a joke of a selection at SOO which IMO will never be repeated.
I honestly believe there are better options at rep level than our players but somehow they keep getting selected which IMHO is a mystery.
If you are truthful in your assessment of players you could easily bypass our lot at rep level and they would not be missed.
Old Timer to some extent I agree with much of your comment. As a half Hunt is a good hooker and I do think Vaughan’s reputation relied heavily on one season. Should they all be rep players? Probably not....especially Norman, but the fact remains that they are and our side can’t even fire with them in our team. Cam stood tall even with the St George regime, so it can be done. Just think a player with ability is able to show it with or without their coach.

getsmarty

Immortal

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...........

Old Timer

Coach
Old Timer to some extent I agree with much of your comment. As a half Hunt is a good hooker and I do think Vaughan’s reputation relied heavily on one season. Should they all be rep players? Probably not....especially Norman, but the fact remains that they are and our side can’t even fire with them in our team. Cam stood tall even with the St George regime, so it can be done. Just think a player with ability is able to show it with or without their coach.
Yes indeed Cam can stand tall and IMHO is the only one who can.
Under s different coach he could make SOO as Cook is a bit of a 1 trick pony and being shut down much more these days.

denis preston

First Grade
One of the very few players and certainly the only forward who improved this year.Very strange and a very bad look on pathways/ academy ( local juniors obviously doesnt include St George ! ) Unless Souths came up with 100 to 150k a year more then good luck to the guy but again not a good look that they didn't fight for him. Do we assume that Hook is not a fan or has better players to come in ?

HenryTatana

Juniors
One of the very few players and certainly the only forward who improved this year.Very strange and a very bad look on pathways/ academy ( local juniors obviously doesnt include St George ! ) Unless Souths came up with 100 to 150k a year more then good luck to the guy but again not a good look that they didn't fight for him. Do we assume that Hook is not a fan or has better players to come in ?
Could have been a done deal before Hook signed.

thebigredv

First Grade

Souths get Host and Arrow. They have a try scoring machine taking unders to stay with them.
In comparison we lose Frizell and Host. We re-sign a winger for 3 or 4 years and then drop him from first grade a few weeks later.

Can you guess which team is playing in its 3rd preliminary in a row this weekend?

Management and Recruitment have screwed us up bigger than they'd even care to know about, and yet they cotton on to the fact that we had a dud coach 4 or 5 years too late. We are left to pick up the pieces. They'll sit there making Griffin the scapegoat, you watch.