What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 PF2 - Storm 30-10 Raiders @ Suncorp

Finals Week 3: Storm v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gerg

Juniors
Well done storm. Hats off. Amazing club. Just keep producing. Go Penrith. 2 best clubs this year. Happy for either to win.

As much as I've wanted my team (Raiders) to win, it's pretty clear that Storm and Panthers have been the standout teams this year and would actually make for a cracking grand final. Both sides playing a quick, expansive game with speed and attacking weapons all over the park. JAC has been amazing this year. Probably my favourite player to watch at the moment and S Crichton a close second. He is going to be a great centre IMO.

Reflector

Juniors
Fundamentally, (cap management aside) the issue with there being so many Roosters/ Storm GF's over the past two decades is this:

Neither team has what you'd call a strong local flavour. Melbourne (since day 1) has had virtually all its' players and staff come from elsewhere. The fact they've been playing out of the Sunshine Coast with a former Qld captain leading them on the park and a former NSW coach leading them off it seems rather fitting. They're an artificially created team with a niche supporter base and hardly (if any) local juniors. When they win the GF they go back and celebrate in a city (and a state) that glances at it for 2 seconds before going back to a passionate debate about what should be the away strips for North and Collingwood or who the AFL should adopt as official breakfast cereal. For all their success, the Storm are a franchise full of expats with a niche following from a place that barely notices they exist- and I don't see how that's going to change?

The Roosters have supporters from all over Australia, but their traditional heartland these days is geographically small and hardly what you'd call a big RL area. Again, hardly (if any) local juniors. When the Roosters win a GF it seems like their fans (mostly) go back north/ south/ west/ interstate and celebrate individually. It's a celebration you're much more likely to see on social media than on the streets of Bondi Junction.

(Incoming Category 5 Smug Alert- Warning)

What's been refreshing about Penrith is that they're a huge league area. You look at that squad and there's a strong local element to it. They've recruited players from elsewhere and there's Panthers fans scattered around the country BUT- if the Panthers go all the way this season, not since Cronulla in 2016 will there be a real sense that winning the comp genuinely means something collectively to the area they are from.

greenBV4

Bench
I love how blind everyone must be to the fact we we regularly have the 3rd-4th highest membership and average attendance in the league, yet we apparently only have a small "niche" following...

Over 25k members this year, second most followed sports team in the country on social media, and the second highest tv audience on both FTA and PTV.

get your heads out of 1998

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
I love how blind everyone must be to the fact we we regularly have the 3rd-4th highest membership and average attendance in the league, yet we apparently only have a small "niche" following...

Over 25k members this year, second most followed sports team in the country on social media, and the second highest tv audience on both FTA and PTV.

get your heads out of 1998

Remember the swelling in support for the Brisbane Lions (crowds and membership-wise) in the early 2000's though? How much of the current support are simply backing a winner, and would the majority of them stick around if top 4 wasn't a near certainty every season? Time will tell...

Re. s/m and TV audiences, in both of these it's possible to follow several teams on s/m and watch plenty of teams on TV. The Storm have been one of the top performing teams of the last decade so games featuring them are going to rate well. Following my observations last night, it truly wouldn't surprise me if a notable percentage of the Storm followers on s/m also followed the Broncos s/m and had at least one Brisbane jersey mothballed.

greenBV4

Bench
Remember the swelling in support for the Brisbane Lions (crowds and membership-wise) in the early 2000's though? How much of the current support are simply backing a winner, and would the majority of them stick around if top 4 wasn't a near certainty every season? Time will tell...
Yeah time will tell, but if you look at a chart it hasn't been an instant swell of support but gradual growth, which is more promising

Lebbo73

Bench
I’m not justifying anything Gallen was a hot head but he matured as player in his senior years, yet Smith does what He does on the field and people like you are f**king ok with it..
Does what? Ennis used to get up to shit all the way to the finish. So what? Smith very rarely gets suspended so your sooking is a mute point. He couldn’t be too bad. Gallen carried on like a goose but it very rarely worked for him.

Generalzod

Immortal
Does what? Ennis used to get up to shit all the way to the finish. So what? Smith very rarely gets suspended so your sooking is a mute point. He couldn’t be too bad. Gallen carried on like a goose but it very rarely worked for him.
That’s because he is a protected species, don’t let your hatred for NSW cloud your judgement, Smith antics on the field is just as bad as Gallen did, in Smith’s case He called an immortal, more like an immortal wanker.

Last edited:

STORM.99/07

Bench
Fundamentally, (cap management aside) the issue with there being so many Roosters/ Storm GF's over the past two decades is this:

Neither team has what you'd call a strong local flavour. Melbourne (since day 1) has had virtually all its' players and staff come from elsewhere. The fact they've been playing out of the Sunshine Coast with a former Qld captain leading them on the park and a former NSW coach leading them off it seems rather fitting. They're an artificially created team with a niche supporter base and hardly (if any) local juniors. When they win the GF they go back and celebrate in a city (and a state) that glances at it for 2 seconds before going back to a passionate debate about what should be the away strips for North and Collingwood or who the AFL should adopt as official breakfast cereal. For all their success, the Storm are a franchise full of expats with a niche following from a place that barely notices they exist- and I don't see how that's going to change?

The Roosters have supporters from all over Australia, but their traditional heartland these days is geographically small and hardly what you'd call a big RL area. Again, hardly (if any) local juniors. When the Roosters win a GF it seems like their fans (mostly) go back north/ south/ west/ interstate and celebrate individually. It's a celebration you're much more likely to see on social media than on the streets of Bondi Junction.

(Incoming Category 5 Smug Alert- Warning)

What's been refreshing about Penrith is that they're a huge league area. You look at that squad and there's a strong local element to it. They've recruited players from elsewhere and there's Panthers fans scattered around the country BUT- if the Panthers go all the way this season, not since Cronulla in 2016 will there be a real sense that winning the comp genuinely means something collectively to the area they are from.
What a load of shit

Lebbo73

Bench
That’s because he is a protected species, don’t let your hatred for NSW cloud your judgement, Smith antics on the field is just as bad as Gallen did, in Smith’s case He called an immortal, more like an immortal wanker.
I don’t hate NSW. 50% of my bloodline comes from there. Your problem is that you only see what you want to see in regards to Smith. Has all those Origin series losses scarred you worse than I thought? It’s alright, you’ll win your third series in a row this year.

Latest posts