What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
It's been reported that Flanagan is on 250k so the both of them together is close to Pearce money
I think you're over-estimating Pearce's paycheque by a few hundred thousand, and under-estimating what Flanagan will get on the open market by several hundred thousand too. The halves market is dire.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think you're over-estimating Pearce's paycheque by a few hundred thousand, and under-estimating what Flanagan will get on the open market by several hundred thousand too. The halves market is dire.
The halves market is pretty bad, I think the overall quality of halves has been poor for a decade.

How much do you think Pearce is on? I think I remember reading there were provisions in his contract and it could reach the 1 million mark

perverse

Referee
The halves market is pretty bad, I think the overall quality of halves has been poor for a decade.

How much do you think Pearce is on? I think I remember reading there were provisions in his contract and it could reach the 1 million mark
Around 800k base with incentives. It's possible he banks a mill if we win a premiership and he plays origin. Honestly I don't know though, I just strongly doubt it's 7 figures unless a lot of boxes are checked. Could be wrong though.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Around 800k base with incentives. It's possible he banks a mill if we win a premiership and he plays origin. Honestly I don't know though, I just strongly doubt it's 7 figures unless a lot of boxes are checked. Could be wrong though.
I think your right, it was certainly reported there were incentives to reach the 1 mill pay day.

800K is still a fair old pay cheque though and I dont think he's given value for money and the club really needs to get their next move right.

perverse

Referee
I think your right, it was certainly reported there were incentives to reach the 1 mill pay day.

800K is still a fair old pay cheque though and I dont think he's given value for money and the club really needs to get their next move right.
Oh sure, not arguing against that. I just think it's extremely optimistic to think we'd get Flanagan and Moses for Pearce's money. I think that's miles away from reality, as nice as it would be. I think as the market is you'd maybe get Moses for Pearce's money... maybe. I think Flanagan will get a significantly larger contract than he's on now for his next deal too. It's just where the market is for halves.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...ts-premiership-win-not-exit-strategy/?cs=2503

Knights captain Mitchell Pearce says he has no plans to leave Newcastle and wants to extend his stay at the club

A bemused Mitchell Pearce says he has no idea where the rumours of doubts overs his future in Newcastle have come from and is adamant his sole focus remains on winning a premiership with the Knights.

The Knights skipper has found himself at the centre of widespread speculation over the past fortnight, firstly linking him to a supposed player swap deal involving Mitchell Moses at Parramatta before it was suggested he could find himself back at his old club Sydney Roosters either next season or in 2022.

All of it, according to Pearce, is news to him.

"I'm as surprised as anyone about what's getting around out there," Pearce told the Newcastle Herald. "I can honestly say none of it is coming from me. I know absolutely nothing about it.

"I haven't spoken to anyone at the Roosters. I haven't spoken to anyone at all. I'm contracted here at the Knights for next season and I'm a couple of weeks into just enjoying a break from it all with Kristin [fiance] and that's where it's at."

Pearce 31, will next season enter the final year of a four-year-deal worth close to $1 million a season that he signed with the Knights at the end of 2017.

While there has been talk for quite some time of the club's intention to extend that deal beyond 2021 for potentially another season or two, Pearce confirmed there have been no negotiations in that regard.

The uncertainty over just what the salary cap will look like going forward is one of the reasons for that along with Pearce's up-and-down form this year, which mirrored that of the team to a large extent.

There has also been speculation about what sort of a pay-cut Pearce will have to take if he extends his deal.

He has spoken to coach Adam O'Brien, who is a strong supporter of his skipper, in the past week about his future in light of all the rumours and says there are no issues.

Asked about talk of an extension, Pearce said: "I've had open conversations with the club and we'll chat again over the break. We've only just got through the season."

"As it stands at the moment, I'm contracted for another year and I love the place. I'd love to extend here and I've never said anything different. I want to win a comp here.

"From day one, that's been the goal. I came here originally for the challenge of doing exactly that. I can honestly say, absolutely nothing has changed."

Pearce admitted he was feeling the pinch at the back-end of the season after a long and tough year. With the loss of a number of recognised hookers to injury and no stable partner in the halves, he took much of the playmaking workload on himself to the point where at times, he was guilty of doing too much and trying too hard.

"I played every game this year without a rest and definitely felt like I played a bit tired at the back-end of the year but I thought that was probably the same with the team as a whole," he said.

"With the injuries, the travel and being in the bubble, it was a pretty tough year. But the body feels good and I still love it. I still love playing and I love the competitive side of it 100 percent. I'm already looking forward to next year.

"There's no question we've got to make some improvements. As a whole, I don't think our attack really flowed like it could have but that was probably partly to do with the injuries and also the amount of work Adz [coach Adam O'Brien] and the coaching staff put into getting our defence right.

"I've been playing for 15 years but there is stuff there I need to keep working on and as a team, we need to keep working on and getting better at. It's not just one thing.

"There are a fair few things in attack we can tinker with and get better at. Adz has some plans for us in that regard. We just need to keep evolving, keep improving and I'm sure we will."

# Newcastle Knights have officially announced the re-signing of utility star Connor Watson on a one-year deal for 2021

Spot On

Coach
Oh thank Christ for that. I was starting to fret we didn't want to keep him after 2021.

Can anyone find an article anywhere that says he is not on a 4 yr, 4 million dollar deal?

Burwood

Bench
I thought he had a few performance bonuses kick in for reaching top 8 or top 4? So his base contract was under $1M, but he had the potential to get a $75,000 or $150,000 bonus depending how well the team went.

Yosh

Coach
That's the sort of article that comes out just before shocking transfer news article flies out. I'm looking at it positively. I hope we are linked with Flanagan though.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I guess I just have to accept mediocrity in perpetuity is the Knights DNA.

Talk of Pearce extending and Watson, Mann etc being his 5/8 fills me with dread. I have an off season to prepare myself for the years ahead of being nothing more than a fringe 8 team.

Such a waste of a good roster. I had high hopes that AOB would be a ruthless leader and take no prisoners on our march to being an NRL powerhouse.

Is Newcastle a place where ambition goes to die ?