What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Townsville, Brisbane
the only out of state games - 2

You do know, of course, that driving a bus from Penrith to Kogarah or Brookvale takes the same time as flying an aeroplane from Canberra to Brisbane, don't you?
what utter rubbish, travel to the airport check in times etc ? how about thinking before you type ? Jeezus dude

Injuries have been good this year, but we've had a few. To'o 8 weeks, Edwards 7 weeks, Capewell 12 weeks
A dream run

Knight Vision

First Grade
Did our share of travel. Also didn't have a home ground for a large part of the year
for the record I'm hoping for a Panthers Premiership and have been cheering them on all season. But facts are facts mate. Panthers have had a massive leg up in a very very difficult season.

Nothing changes facts sorry

age.s

First Grade
for the record I'm hoping for a Panthers Premiership and have been cheering them on all season. But facts are facts mate. Panthers have had a massive leg up in a very very difficult season.

Nothing changes facts sorry

So it's a "fact" that the reason we're having one of the most dominant seasons in league history is not astute purchases, junior development, improvement in on field discipline and fitness, attacking structure or even rule changes? It's due to us taking a few less plane trips over the course of the past 6 months.

I hope you're not dumb enough to believe that dribble.

Knight Vision

First Grade
So it's a "fact" that the reason we're having one of the most dominant seasons in league history is not astute purchases, junior development, improvement in on field discipline and fitness, attacking structure or even rule changes? It's due to us taking a few less plane trips over the course of the past 6 months.

I hope you're not dumb enough to believe that dribble.
oh of course the team is great, playing with amazing confidence as well as all the things you mention.

But there can be no doubt that in professional sport the lack of travel demands on the day of the game is a huge leg up this year. Massive

Same as the Broncos getting a mostly 7 day turn around year on year most of the time.

chrisD

Coach
Seriously there are three reasons why we are much better this year than last.

Ivan is responsible for this team and he explained last season was about clearing out the (Griffin) culture. Now the shit has been swept away (RCG for example) we are a cohesive unit. Ivan Cleary has always been an exceptional coach (the man took Shaun Johnson to a GF ffs), he's just never had the right cattle at the right time, now he does.

Maloney left and so it became Nathan's Cleary team to control, and he's gone from a good young player to maybe the best most influential player in the game this season.

Api. A hooker makes a massive difference. Last season our pack was very good talent wise but hamstrung by absolute trash hookers. Api is elite quality and has hit his prime, and that has allowed our pack to reach their potential. And RCG isn't around to make a million momentum halting hit ups.

blue bags

First Grade
I’m overseas atm and was only keeping tabs on Parra games. I thought I’d check in on the finals and was shocked to see Penrith in the gf. Did a bit of research and they have been killing it after coming back from covid. What’s the go? Their team looks pretty much like the same team from last year.
there is something suspicious going on i feel . I'm not the only 1 ;)

Knight Vision

First Grade
Ok Tigers then. Did they leave NSW?

We played in
Townsville
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Gosford
Played a Home game 66km away.
do you want to start another thread and compare teams?

The thread title is "why are the Panthers so good all of a sudden"

The simple answer lies in a wonderful draw requiring minimum travel compared to many teams in the comp- its a dream draw and another possibility is very few major injury setbacks compared to many teams.

Smug Panther

First Grade

The simple answer lies in a wonderful draw requiring minimum travel compared to many teams in the comp- its a dream draw and another possibility is very few major injury setbacks compared to many teams.
You are simply wrong about the travel though

Knight Vision

First Grade
You are simply wrong about the travel though
How so? For 16 of their games this year the players went to bed the night before at their usual time, woke at the usual time , had their usual meal at the usual time, did their morning prep as per usual, jumped in the car at the usual time to travel within Sydney to arrive at the usual time ready for the game.

Canberra had the benefit of the above on only 8 occasions this season.

The rest of the draw they travelled for hours under covid rules and restrictions on same day of the game for 12 of 20 games. A completely different routine required and in the modern day of professional sport that is a huge disadvantage - massive.

And the answer the the thread title lies within this being a large contributing factor.

franklin2323

Immortal

Off the top of my head I came up with 2 that had less travel though. Is it an advantage when others get the same luxury? It is the benefit with playing for a Sydney club in a Sydney centric comp.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Off the top of my head I came up with 2 that had less travel though. Is it an advantage when others get the same luxury? It is the benefit with playing for a Sydney club in a Sydney centric comp.
do you want to start another thread and compare teams ?

The thread title posed a question - I answered it.

Travel was a lot different this year and was required on the same day of the game.

Put it this way - ............. if it didnt have an effect on a teams performance Clubs would save a fortune on travel/ hotel expenses by not traveling the day before

Latest posts