What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

The_Frog

First Grade
I’m overseas atm and was only keeping tabs on Parra games. I thought I’d check in on the finals and was shocked to see Penrith in the gf. Did a bit of research and they have been killing it after coming back from covid. What’s the go? Their team looks pretty much like the same team from last year.
Parramatta went from missing the 8 to premiers in one year. Roosters went from 15th to 1st in one year. Panthers went from losing the first 8 games in 2002 to winning the lot the next year. It happens all the time. Sometimes a group of players come through and just gel. That is what has happened at Penrith this year. Surely it beats the f**k out of the same old teams dominating year in and year out.
Why has it taken 17 years to make another Grand Final for a club with such huge natural advantages?
What huge natural advantages?

soc123_au

Staff member
Penrith fans crying they had to travel an hour or so to a game. Cry me a river.
Who's crying? It's a defence to those who are suggesting we played every game in Ivans backyard. The hour we had to travel was to play at your home ground. You got to play your home games there too. Why did you lose games? You f**kers should have finished ahead of us with such advantages. Talk about wasting being kissed on the dick by a fairy.

franklin2323

Immortal
Do Penrith supporters think Ivan would have been able to work his magic if Gus was still around? I know many of you have a hard-on for him, but don't you think he may just have had a hand in too many roles at the club when he was there?

Nope. He was always putting his head into Hook's business for example a heated argument over a trial game

nick87

Coach
The circumstances are what they are.
No question what so ever the panthers have been kissed on the dick this year and it's undoubtably helped them get where they are
They are also where they are because they're a very talented football team who is excuting at an extremely high level.

Would the panthers be where they are right now with the travel situation other clubs have had? who knows. And frankly it doesnt matter. They've played the hand they've been dealt and here we are.

age.s

First Grade
Zero

But the thread isnt about other Sydney teams - its about Penrith with almost all their games a short drive from their house.

No, it's about why we have been very good this year. And the amount of travel we've done shouldn't even rate a mention. Its not even a top 30 reason. This should be obvious given how few Sydney teams actually took "advantage" of something that effected all of us.

soc123_au

Staff member
The circumstances are what they are.
No question what so ever the panthers have been kissed on the dick this year and it's undoubtably helped them get where they are
They are also where they are because they're a very talented football team who is excuting at an extremely high level.

Would the panthers be where they are right now with the travel situation other clubs have had? who knows. And frankly it doesnt matter. They've played the hand they've been dealt and here we are.
I think the dick kissing has more been on the injury front. Traditionally we get brutalised with injuries.
Your mob were 8-2 away, you should have ditched Canberra & embraced the travel. Based on that you finish 2nd.

Also for you guys losing Hodgson was huge. Making a prelim after dealing with that was a magnificent. If Hodgson plays out the year I have no doubt next week is a 1990/91 rematch.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
I think the dick kissing has more been on the injury front. Traditionally we get brutalised with injuries.
Your mob were 8-2 away, you should have ditched Canberra & embraced the travel. Based on that you finish 2nd.

We did embrace the travel, as per the 8-2 record... im actually pretty proud of how the club handled this season. The 3 clubs most impacted were the warriors, storm and raiders, which isnt a surprise, these are one team towns outside of QLD/NSW, they were always going to feel the brunt of a COVID season.

But it's both to be fair. They've been largely untouched by key injuries the way the roosters and us were.That's season to season luck no one can control, that's the footy gods... the travel situation, that was a result of circumstance that you've benefited from. Doesnt discredit anything achieved by the club but it is what it is.

age.s

First Grade
The teams that sacrificed to get this season through should be praised. The Warriors especially. The Storm too. The Raiders and Knights both "lost" home games. Credit to them all for doing what was needed this year. At the end of the day we're lucky to be even having a grand final given how things looked in March.

soc123_au

Staff member
We did embrace the travel, as per the 8-2 record... im actually pretty proud of how the club handled this season. The 3 clubs most impacted were the warriors, storm and raiders, which isnt a surprise, these are one team towns outside of QLD/NSW, they were always going to feel the brunt of a COVID season.

But it's both to be fair. They've been largely untouched by key injuries the way the roosters and us were.That's season to season luck no one can control, that's the footy gods... the travel situation, that was a result of circumstance that you've benefited from. Doesnt discredit anything achieved by the club but it is what it is.

I'd just edited my post as you were replying to say much the same thing. You guys should absolutely be proud, for Canberra to achieve what they did without Hodgson for the bulk of the year & Bateman for a big chuck is huge. Next year with a decent run with injuries & a few of your youngun's to step up in the backline you will be hard to stop no matter where the games are held. Your pack & halves are top shelf & from what I have heard you have some exciting kids not far away from NRL in the backs.

stryker

First Grade
19 wins in a row is the record.

On the original question, I think a big part in Penrith doing well is that they got rid of Gould and all his influence. I don't believe its what he started coming to fruition (thats what he would have you believe) I think its the new fresh ideas that have been allowed to flourish with him gone
This has a fair bit to do with it. With that fat tub of shit out of the way others have stood up.

soc123_au

Staff member
The teams that sacrificed to get this season through should be praised. The Warriors especially. The Storm too. The Raiders and Knights both "lost" home games. Credit to them all for doing what was needed this year. At the end of the day we're lucky to be even having a grand final given how things looked in March.
I agree with all that. I know I get defensive when we get accused of having it easy re the travel, that is in no way intended to diminish the sacrifices some teams have made so we could all enjoy what has been a bloody entertaining season. To have been robbed of the Bronco trainwreck would have been one of the crimes of the century.

Latest posts