What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

The_Frog

First Grade
Well he was never going to go to Super League
My feeling is that he didn't give a damn about Super League. Things had gone pear shaped at Penrith after Ben Alexander's death, the club was a basket case by 1995, his talent pretty much wasted, and the right bait was offered. Gus would have been a large factor as well.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Can somebody please explain how it is a soft draw when you play everybody once and 3 top 8 clubs twice, and beat everybody except a draw with Newcastle?
Melbourne also played everybody once with 3 top 8 clubs twice, yet finished 5 points behind. By this logic they had the same soft draw but I dont here this mentioned anywhere.
Our draw was soft because we didn't have to play the best team, even once.

soc123_au

Staff member
If the panthers lose will it be the biggest choke in rugba league history?

17 consecutive wins will mean f**k all if you lose the grand final.
I dont know about that. Pretty much everyone has won a premiership at one point. Souffs have 21 of the f**kers. How many have won 17 straight?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
- Soft Comp (Only Panthers, Storm or Roosters could win it)
- Even softer draw within the soft comp
- Very few injuries (probably linked to soft draw)
- Lots of injuries for competitors
- New rules absolutely play to their strengths (much faster, free flowing game) - speed and aerobic fitness much better than size and strength

would you like some salt with that whine ?

Chimp

Bench
would you like some salt with that whine ?
I’m not salty at all - they deserve to be there, but all those points have contributed to them getting there - which parts do you disagree with?

On the soft draw and Melbourne comparison, Melbourne only lost 4 games, 2 of those losses were games where they played with massively under strength teams - they basically forfeited 2 games, so they’d have been only 2 points behind Penrith, and have had the whole relocating/isolation issue to deal with.

My feeling is that he didn't give a damn about Super League. Things had gone pear shaped at Penrith after Ben Alexander's death, the club was a basket case by 1995, his talent pretty much wasted, and the right bait was offered. Gus would have been a large factor as well.

I remember the club being stuck in a downward spiral after Ben’s death. Must’ve been a shitty time for the fans.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’m not salty at all - they deserve to be there, but all those points have contributed to them getting there - which parts do you disagree with?

On the soft draw and Melbourne comparison, Melbourne only lost 4 games, 2 of those losses were games where they played with massively under strength teams - they basically forfeited 2 games, so they’d have been only 2 points behind Penrith, and have had the whole relocating/isolation issue to deal with.

Penrith played the same teams that Melbourne did. Didn't have Cleary for a couple of games (due to tick tock)

It's not Penrith's fault they only had a couple of injuries. I'd say that probably came down to how well strength and conditioning staffs did both the breaks pre-season and covid.

Lastly Penrith did not set the draw the nrl did........Sure we played sharks twice (in the finals), Broncos twice (who in their right mind thought donkeys would end with the spoon.

Penrith played very few games at 'home' unlike Parramatta, St George, Broncos. Also what's so dreadful about being in a bubble in southern qld, with all your family holed up in a posh hotel with all mod cons ?

I think you probably need to dry your eyes, and have a cupps.

forby

Juniors

but played 2 games at AAMI, and 6 games at Sunshine Coast with no travel at all. Penrith had 1 pre break and only 5 after the break at Penrith. Tends to even out!

Hutty1986

Immortal
I dont know about that. Pretty much everyone has won a premiership at one point. Souffs have 21 of the f**kers. How many have won 17 straight?
If my team won 25 straight and lost the grand final I'd still be sobbing like haynetrain after his Dimoxinil failed

The_Frog

First Grade
Travel. Canberra had the arduous task of driving 73 hours up the motorway with 17 sherpas every week, including climbing over mt adversity and through suburbs west of auburn.
Raiders did have a tough draw, and they played both Roosters and Storm twice. They also got a raw deal with the travel in the preliminary final. But they blew their big chance of a top 4 finish when they were shut down at home by the Roosters in round 17.

The_Frog

First Grade
They rested players in the last round because they could not finish anywhere but second. They lost to Canberra, at home and at full strength. Then they lost to Penrith, only AddoCarr was out. That's three fair dinkum losses. The Parra one can be overlooked. They deserved to run exactly where they did run, second.

Chimp

Bench
They rested players in the last round because they could not finish anywhere but second. They lost to Canberra, at home and at full strength. Then they lost to Penrith, only AddoCarr was out. That's three fair dinkum losses. The Parra one can be overlooked. They deserved to run exactly where they did run, second.
Agreed, I’ve never said otherwise, and have said the Panthers deserve to be in the GF.... The Panthers fans seem to be the ones getting salty because they assume the facts I pointed out somehow cheapen their achievement - that’s their problem, not mine. Maybe they might be worried it might feel like a hollow win - but nobody else is saying that - poor merkins.

forby

Juniors
That is exactly what you are trying to say! Canberra was hard done by, Melbourne have had to struggle, everybody had massive injury tolls, but Penrith had a soft draw, no injuries, no travel, played every game at home etc etc.
If you thought that they are deserved of being where they are and should be recognised for the amazing run you wouldn’t keep going on the way you are!

Chimp

Bench
That is exactly what you are trying to say! Canberra was hard done by, Melbourne have had to struggle, everybody had massive injury tolls, but Penrith had a soft draw, no injuries, no travel, played every game at home etc etc.
If you thought that they are deserved of being where they are and should be recognised for the amazing run you wouldn’t keep going on the way you are!

haha I put 1 post pointing out the facts, nothing negative about the Panthers, and then have responded twice to people who have raised points directly about my post - hardly ‘going on’.

You lot seem very precious, if as rumoured Wighton takes out the Dally M, there might be some actual breakdowns.....

The winning run is very impressive, they’ve played some fantastic rugby, they’ve some very good individuals, and they also haven’t had to face the adversity many other teams (particularly their main competitors for the title) have.

Enjoy the ride, and if they get the win, enjoy the win, don’t let that hollow feeling eat away at you - it’s 100% a legitimate Premiership, particularly if the Storm win it!

Chimp

Bench
You just did it again - they haven’t had the adversity etc!
Discounts what you said!
So are you saying they have had the same adversity as the Storm, Raiders and a Roosters?

It’s a fact that they haven’t. Arguable their 3 main competitors for the Premiership have had their seasons severely disrupted, whereas the Panthers have had a smooth run....

I repeat, it will however still be a legitimate Premiership, and not in the least bit hollow - so don’t let the echo from the feeling of winning it bother you....

Latest posts