What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

I visit Penrith a lot.

I generally attribute the rise of the smug to number of willing juniors as it’s a good place to raise kids.

it’s taken awhile to get their recruiters on song.

Normally they lose a lot of talent.

Here below is a photo of the Penrith Ice skating Palace taken on Saturday. Cheap and fun. Not too many divas and show offs compared to other rinks. If you want no frills skate, this is it.
The most accomplished skater I saw, looked to be about 9 lol. All that spinning. I was throwing up watching her. I think my kids and friends, spent more time falling over.

D132609B-EF74-4211-9FE0-D6C183C71760.jpeg

So long as we can keep the area affordable, the smug will be strong.

And if you think this smug side is good, there’s another generation coming. You trip over promising young juniors all over the place here. It’s a factory.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
haha I put 1 post pointing out the facts, nothing negative about the Panthers, and then have responded twice to people who have raised points directly about my post - hardly ‘going on’.

You lot seem very precious, if as rumoured Wighton takes out the Dally M, there might be some actual breakdowns.....

The winning run is very impressive, they’ve played some fantastic rugby, they’ve some very good individuals, and they also haven’t had to face the adversity many other teams (particularly their main competitors for the title) have.

Enjoy the ride, and if they get the win, enjoy the win, don’t let that hollow feeling eat away at you - it’s 100% a legitimate Premiership, particularly if the Storm win it!

You are not the only one, that's the reason for the defensiveness. There have been a lot of other teams fans congratulating the Panthers on what has been a great season, the but that comes along with it from a lot of those people takes the gloss off it a bit. It feels condescending. We either deserve it, or we don't. As they say, everything that comes before a but is bullshit. Pick a side.

Chimp

Juniors
You are not the only one, that's the reason for the defensiveness. There have been a lot of other teams fans congratulating the Panthers on what has been a great season, the but that comes along with it from a lot of those people takes the gloss off it a bit. It feels condescending. We either deserve it, or we don't. As they say, everything that comes before a but is bullshit. Pick a side.
Be a pretty boring forum if you’ve just to say ‘well done’ and not discuss the contributing factors.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Gould is a big part of our current success, and I say this as a critic of his later years at the Panthers. The juniors coming through now are directly related to the overhauling of our systems when he took over in 2012. It was his idea the Panthers move to a squad that was largely based around players who debuted for the club, rather than recruiting. I was skeptical of this last part but it’s working well now.

Sorry but I disagree, Penroth have always had a lot of juniors. Gould will tell you everything was his idea and basically for the last 20 years that and interfering to get people sacked is all he has done at any club he has been at.
Maybe parading around like an arrogant prick did bring some dollars maybe not, lord knows the leagues club has been raking it in pre covid. The centre of excelllence is a magnificent place, I have visited it and seen it in action but I think Gould did very little than walk around it like he was a god

soc123_au

Staff member
So are you saying they have had the same adversity as the Storm, Raiders and a Roosters?

It’s a fact that they haven’t. Arguable their 3 main competitors for the Premiership have had their seasons severely disrupted, whereas the Panthers have had a smooth run....

I repeat, it will however still be a legitimate Premiership, and not in the least bit hollow - so don’t let the echo from the feeling of winning it bother you....
It's the same every year. The team that wins more often than not has a better run of a multitude of things than those they beat. No one seems to bang on about it much though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Be a pretty boring forum if you’ve just to say ‘well done’ and not discuss the contributing factors.
Fair point. As I said, the defensiveness is probably coming from hearing the same tune for months.

Chimp

Juniors
Fair point. As I said, the defensiveness is probably coming from hearing the same tune for months.
Then it’s a bit hypocritical for Panthers fans to call others salty...

Panthers fans are salty that everyone isn’t jumping for joy and praising them without question...

Bless em.

forby

Juniors
Except when it is Penrith! It seems that everybody is scared to admit that they are very good, and that it might continue leaving some of the established clubs on the outer.

soc123_au

Staff member
Then it’s a bit hypocritical for Panthers fans to call others salty...

Panthers fans are salty that everyone isn’t jumping for joy and praising them without question...

Bless em.
Being defensive isn't salty.

Sorry but I disagree, Penroth have always had a lot of juniors. Gould will tell you everything was his idea and basically for the last 20 years that and interfering to get people sacked is all he has done at any club he has been at.
Maybe parading around like an arrogant prick did bring some dollars maybe not, lord knows the leagues club has been raking it in pre covid. The centre of excelllence is a magnificent place, I have visited it and seen it in action but I think Gould did very little than walk around it like he was a god

Disagree all you like, the juniors were in an absolute shambles when Gould took over. It’s a fact.

No one is saying the talent wasn’t there, but it wasn’t being identified and it wasn’t making it to first grade.

We had to recruit guys like Luke Walsh, Travis Burns, Adrian Purtell, Brad Tighe, Nathan Smith, Dave Simmons etc. And whilst some of them were solid, they weren’t of the level of juniors we’re producing now.

From 2005 until 2010, we made the finals once. Including a wooden spoon. Since Gould came to the club, we’ve made the finals 5 times in 9 years.

Last edited:

Chimp

Juniors
Except when it is Penrith! It seems that everybody is scared to admit that they are very good, and that it might continue leaving some of the established clubs on the outer.
They are VERY VERY good.... And, have had an easy run compared to the other VERY VERY good teams....

Would they be in the same position if the other contenders had benefited from the same fortune? I’m not sure, but don’t let make you feel hollow....

forby

Juniors
Always a justification!
Can’t you just accept it and say they are very very good, fullstop?

Zadar

Juniors
If you believe it will be a legitimate premiership in 2020 if it comes, then that’s all that matters.

storm fans and players also believe that they won in 2007&2009.

That’s all that really counts.......

Latest posts