What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Awards (club awards, Dally M, RLPA)

pantherz9103

First Grade
I think Nathan was unfortunate but Wighton winning is not such a surprise, especially after Hodgson was injured for Canberra, Wighton became the main point getter as the Raiders had a strong second half of the year. Gutho also stood up even when Eels formed dipped and he was clearly their best.

Cleary was ‘let down’ by his team mates like Luai and Api who took points off him...haha this is why the Dally M’s are a bit of a joke. The voting system rewards players who monopolise points in their teams. That’s why Joey Johns and Thurston did so well in this award, there weren’t many other key position stars in those teams who took points off them.

As for the leak. What do you expect from that cretin ‘Slothfield’? Anyway happy with 5 players in the team of the year and the coach of the year. More important things in the game than individual awards though.

blue bags

First Grade
Who gives a shit that it was leaked early.

With everything that's gone on in 2020, this is a nothing.

As for the betting angle, who gives two shits.
Whats the best points awarding system,
journoz, referees, betting agencies, coaches, joe bloqz
at the moment the system is broken, its f**ked

blue bags

First Grade
It isn’t often you can agree with Rothfield, but he is right - the voting system needs an overhaul. There is no way Weighton was the best player in the comp this year. Cleary was the stand out by a mile. Too many times the same judge sees the same team and subconsciously favours certain players. There needs to be a better way.
i remember, rugby league week mag, rated, awarded points to every player, 34 players in each game, 1 to 10 points

soc123_au

Staff member
I think thats the problem with the Dally Ms. To be fair I think Yeo has been the Panthers best all year, Papalii for the Raiders and Paulo for the Eels but that is just my opinion. Lesser names who play well seem to not poll as well as they deserve.
Fish just pipped Cleary & Yeo in our forum awards. Every player was given a score out of 10 for each game. Only the best 17 round scores were kept so missing a game or two wasn't a disadvantage.
Top 10
1. Fisher-Harris 1368* (20)
2. Cleary 1327* (18)
3. Yeo 1312* (19)
4. Luai 1311* (20)
5. Koroisau 1272 (17)
6. Tamou 1211* (19)
7. Crichton 1196* (19)
8. Martin 1174* (18)
9. Kikau 1165 (17)
10. Mansour 1161* (19)

stryker

First Grade
This is what is wrong with the 3-2-1 system. Every player who takes the field should receive a score.
I agree and have been stating this since Robbie Farah was robbed years ago. The 3,2,1 scoring system is stupid, especially when some games see 3-4 players on the field worthy of top points.
Cleary was robbed due to the success of his team. We have seen similar outcomes for Melbourne and a Roosters over the years whilst great players in average sides like JT and Joey usually got top points when they won..therefore they are multiple award recipients.
Unfortunately this has made the award superficial in most fans minds including mine.

stryker

First Grade
You won't say he's the best player in the comp?

Mate, the best player in the comp wins the Dally M. Jack's just won it - therefore Jack is the best player in the comp.

It's as simple as that really, just basic common sense.
The best player in the comp always finishes top 5 in this award but not necessarily number 1. Jack was top 2 best players in an ordinary team who over achieved this year. He deserves to be in the conversation so congrats to him.

Zadar

Juniors
What a f**knuckle that stefanovic is, just interviewed wighton and asked “do you feel like you deserve it?”

just like that dipshit Thurston asking Robbo about a right call in the GF last year, and Robbo making him feel like a tool on national tv.

well done wighton, you’re alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts