What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Dragons season review

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Didn’t contest a lot of high balls, refused to take the line on on kick returns, let in a lot of tries, missed a lot of tackles, didn’t even attempt some tackles, caught out of position multiple times why should he?
I can only assume you weren’t watching this year..

Dufty was 2nd for line breaks & 3rd for tackle busts..

Not bad for a bloke who’s scared to take on the line..

Also had the 5th most possessions of any player.. Not bad for a guy scared to catch a ball..

It’s clear to see why he got the points.. He was in everything..

Old Timer

Coach
I can only assume you weren’t watching this year..

Dufty was 2nd for line breaks & 3rd for tackle busts..

Not bad for a bloke who’s scared to take on the line..

Also had the 5th most possessions of any player.. Not bad for a guy scared to catch a ball..

It’s clear to see why he got the points.. He was in everything..
Well that’s your opinion and tbh I don’t think that counts for much especially around here.

You just love to try and illicit responses from certain people regardless of what you actually “think” lol yourself.

By all means have a look at all the games and really analyse his kick returns and see how that really turned out.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well that’s your opinion and tbh I don’t think that counts for much especially around here.

You just love to try and illicit responses from certain people regardless of what you actually “think” lol yourself.

By all means have a look at all the games and really analyse his kick returns and see how that really turned out.
See again you’re reverting to throwing out barbs rather than actually discussing the matter.

And unfortunately those are stats I’m quoting, not opinions.

Based on his performance this year it’s clear to see why Dufty polled the most Dally M points.

And good for him. He really came out of his shell after round 4.

Old Timer

Coach
See again you’re reverting to throwing out barbs rather than actually discussing the matter.

Based on his performance this year it’s clear to see why Dufty polled the most Dally M points.

I forgot of course you would go that way after all by your reckoning he’s a product of the Illawarra junior pathways scheme from playing in what is today called CC.

You have to stick up for your home town hero and not some import.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I forgot of course you would go that way after all by your reckoning he’s a product of the Illawarra junior pathways scheme from playing in what is today called CC.

You have to stick up for your home town hero and not some import.
I’m sorry you feel this way.

Let’s try keep on topic.

So if based on his stats this year Dufty didn’t deserve to lead our Dally M points, who do you say should?

possm

Coach

Because of his lack of courage, body frame, and size, Dufty is not suitable for our fullback position. He has plenty of speed and attacking flair and that is why I would trial him in the five-eighth position if resrve grade in order to see how he goes.

If we have to let him go, at least we would have given him a couple of positions to show his talents in. Who knows he may make an awesome 6 but I'm afraid he will not make a first grade fullback at any NRL Club.

Old Timer

Coach

Thank you very much for providing the stats that have helped you draw your conclusion and for emphasising that these stats are facts and not opinions as that is very important indeed not withstanding the fact that the Dally M points are awarded on the opinions of a panel of ex players as the judges despite the fact that they are provided with a raft of factual statistics from data off each game such as you have quoted to me.

Now as you have used factual statistical data to enhance your argument then perhaps you might like to consider that the comprehensive statistical data from Supercoach which is over the entire season shows the following
Mc Innes 1,374 points @ 76.3 points per game (18)
Lomax 1,366 points @ 68.3 points per game (20)
Dufty 1,170 points @ 65 points per game (18)

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Because of his lack of courage, body frame, and size, Dufty is not suitable for our fullback position. He has plenty of speed and attacking flair and that is why I would trial him in the five-eighth position if resrve grade in order to see how he goes.

If we have to let him go, at least we would have given him a couple of positions to show his talents in. Who knows he may make an awesome 6 but I'm afraid he will not make a first grade fullback at any NRL Club.
If you play first grade you have courage.

possm

Coach
If you play first grade you have courage.
If you allow the ball to bounce rather than catch it on the full and if you allow yourself to be dominated in tackles most of the time and if you are out of position most of the time to avoid a tackle or a collision, then I say you lack courage.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thank you very much for providing the stats that have helped you draw your conclusion and for emphasising that these stats are facts and not opinions as that is very important indeed not withstanding the fact that the Dally M points are awarded on the opinions of a panel of ex players as the judges despite the fact that they are provided with a raft of factual statistics from data off each game such as you have quoted to me.

Now as you have used factual statistical data to enhance your argument then perhaps you might like to consider that the comprehensive statistical data from Supercoach which is over the entire season shows the following
Mc Innes 1,374 points @ 76.3 points per game (18)
Lomax 1,366 points @ 68.3 points per game (20)
Dufty 1,170 points @ 65 points per game (18)
Supercoach?

Lomax gets a ton of points as he’s the team goal kicker, whilst Mick Innis gets high points due to the fact he’s a forward - forwards over-index in points vs backs in Supercoach.

I’m just curious, if Dufty didn’t deserve to be our lead Dally M point scorer, who do you say should have been?

Old Timer

Coach
Supercoach?

Lomax gets a ton of points as he’s the team goal kicker, whilst Mick Innis gets high points due to the fact he’s a forward - forwards over-index in points vs backs in Supercoach.

I’m just curious, if Dufty didn’t deserve to be our lead Dally M point scorer, who do you say should have been?
So according to you is it just some of the stats that count towards a players assessment and value in the overall scheme of the season?

IMO Mc Innes was our standout player, followed by Lomax and with no shadow of a doubt Dufty no 1 for the "flashiest" contributions which is what I contest the judging panel used as their assessment for Dally M points in respect of our team.

If pure statistics are applied or quoted as in your argument I cannot see any evidence that suggests Dufty played better than either of them for the entirety of the season.

Putting statistics aside and just watching all the games I cannot see any evidence that Dufty played better than either of them over the entirety of the season.

Re your assertion on goal kicking you did forget to mention that the kicker also looses points for shots missed even if all his attempts are from the side line and am I given to understand that you think goal kicking has no place in assessing a players contribution during a game?

If you think that is the case perhaps you might like to minus Mc Innes some points for his tackles or perhaps adjust Lomax by deleting points for 2 games seeing he played 2 more than Dufty?

No doubt your highly valued statistics can be manipulated in some fashion to get you back in the discussion.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So according to you is it just some of the stats that count towards a players assessment and value in the overall scheme of the season?

IMO Mc Innes was our standout player, followed by Lomax and with no shadow of a doubt Dufty no 1 for the "flashiest" contributions which is what I contest the judging panel used as their assessment for Dally M points in respect of our team.

If pure statistics are applied or quoted as in your argument I cannot see any evidence that suggests Dufty played better than either of them for the entirety of the season.

Putting statistics aside and just watching all the games I cannot see any evidence that Dufty played better than either of them over the entirety of the season.

Re your assertion on goal kicking you did forget to mention that the kicker also looses points for shots missed even if all his attempts are from the side line and am I given to understand that you think goal kicking has no place in assessing a players contribution during a game?

If you think that is the case perhaps you might like to minus Mc Innes some points for his tackles or perhaps adjust Lomax by deleting points for 2 games seeing he played 2 more than Dufty?

No doubt your highly valued statistics can be manipulated in some fashion to get you back in the discussion.
So, in summary you believe McInness should have topped our Dally M count?

Old Timer

Coach

muzby I forgot to add

If you were to suggest to me that Dufty's try scoring moments and his general attacking contributions towards many tries was significant then I would totally agree and I would go so far as to say that Dufty's highlights package would be better viewing than anyone else within the team but we all should know the flashy highlight package isn't all there is to the game of rugby league or perhaps in your case that might not ring true.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby I forgot to add

If you were to suggest to me that Dufty's try scoring moments and his general attacking contributions towards many tries was significant then I would totally agree and I would go so far as to say that Dufty's highlights package would be better viewing than anyone else within the team but we all should know the flashy highlight package isn't all there is to the game of rugby league or perhaps in your case that might not ring true.
We scored 63 tries this year.

Dufty had a hand in 28 of those - 13 scored, set up 15 more.

That’s him being involved in 44.4% of all tries from the team all season.

That’s pretty significant.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Can't you read or comprehend what I said surely its not that hard that you need to ask yet another question?
Again with the comprehension rubbish.

I’m simply summing up that tiresome tirade so that people don’t have to waste time reading it.

Now, back to the topic.

McInness makes a bucketload of tackles & has great line speed.

But he also gave away the most penalties of any player in our side.

And when he carried the ball he made the least metres per run of all our forwards.

He can tackle.

But you don’t win a game by making more tackles than your opposition.

Old Timer

Coach
Again with the comprehension rubbish.

I’m simply summing up that tiresome tirade so that people don’t have to waste time reading it.

Now, back to the topic.

McInness makes a bucketload of tackles & has great line speed.

But he also gave away the most penalties of any player in our side.

And when he carried the ball he made the least metres per run of all our forwards.

He can tackle.

But you don’t win a game by making more tackles than your opposition.
So now you have to do summaries for other anonymous people lol

Don’t worry just because you can’t comprehend what’s being said doesn’t mean others do.

So are you now saying Supercoach worthless in any assessments of players?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So now you have to do summaries for other anonymous people lol

Don’t worry just because you can’t comprehend what’s being said doesn’t mean others do.

So are you now saying Supercoach worthless in any assessments of players?
This is getting ridiculous.

Have a good day OT..

Latest posts