What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

assess5

Juniors
I

I believe we would be a far better team in 2021 with Corey at fullback and latrell at left center.

Once Mitchell went down Cody Walker consistently carved up defences with his backline play. Some People thrive off responsibility Cody is one them. For example the dragons game when Reynolds came off Cody exploded.

Mitchell at fullback takes away from Cody's game, while Corey compliments it. Corey is not as athletic or slick but he doesn't need to be, he just does what is needed at a acceptable level and is our best option at fullback for 2021.

Latrell is a good fullback with flashes of brilliance that adds a incredible passing game ( but we already have that passing link option and brillance from Cody )
at center Mitchell is the games most damaging and dangerous left center since prime time G.I

I think we are a better team with Corey at #1 and latrell at #3

You lost me with your first sentence.
My first sentence is- Allan can't or won't tackle - get rid of him, move him on, he is a weakness in the team.

Which is one part of his game I can't understand at the moment. You'd think he would want to take them on. I wonder if it was a fitness thing, or trying to "fit in" and be "a good teammate" and be unselfish???
I don't think it's a fitness thing im sure Ive seen games where he feilds the kick quite early in the match and hands it off, he also is not the busiest fullback in terms of distance covered so after those first few weeks and he got back in the groove, I don't believe fitness to be the issue

It can't be because he's trying to be a good team mate and share it around, this is the NRL not under 8's also if he charged back and bent the defence getting a roll on the team would be so pumped , imagine starting your set after Mitchell hit the defence and scattered them, thats how Mitchell could a good team mate

Could be confidence ? ? He might be a little shy of the contact ?

callmack1

Staff member
I'd have Latrell at fullback personally. I genuinely believe he can become one of the best fullback's in the game in the coming years. That's why I was so gutted when he got injured this year because once he started to gel with the team, his form and status within the game was heading on a massive upwards tradjectory. He is a freak and can be absolutely devastating for us. His kick returns will be far greater than Allan's and he provides a huge threat right across the park, similar to what GI was for us. He must play fullback as far as I'm concerned.

I get the whole argument about Cody playing better since he got injured because he had to stand up but I see no reason why Cody can't play that good, or perhaps even better, with Latrell back there. The attack struggled early this year because Latrell wasn't familiar with the rest of the spine and they weren't familiar with Latrell. When that started to change, we looked incredible and that unfamiliarity will be less of a factor in 2021.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs sign Jacob Host and Taane Milne: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/22/rabbitohs-sign-jacob-host-and-taane-milne/

Really good signings for mine. I assume they're both depth signings currently but who knows where they can end up?! For now, two very quality depth signings. However, I can see Host especially pushing for a spot in the 17. Apparently a lot of Dragons fans are upset at losing him, he's highly rated there.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Announce Harold Matthews Squad for 2021: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...tohs-announce-harold-matthews-squad-for-2021/

Jet on the move - Bunnies star has ‘played his last game’ for the club: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/a591510f038dacc2ce256d67e5f685d9

Look, it kind of pains me to say this but I agree with the clubs call in regards to Roberts. On his day, he's an absolute superstar but we have to face the facts, he's been fairly average for a while now and hasn't lived up to the hype or his salary. That's not knocking him, it's just being realistic. We must be ruthless in terms of finding success and that's what's happening here. If it means we can get Addo-Carr then I'm all for it.

The Jet’s exit just freed up valuable cap space. Here’s how Souths should spend it: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/869d1df3e45a8c1f156b6836b708164a

Broncos wade into four-team Suaalii fight - Hooper: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/4609368ff977f9e6b57f6889278aca81

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I'd have Latrell at fullback personally. I genuinely believe he can become one of the best fullback's in the game in the coming years. That's why I was so gutted when he got injured this year because once he started to gel with the team, his form and status within the game was heading on a massive upwards tradjectory. He is a freak and can be absolutely devastating for us. His kick returns will be far greater than Allan's and he provides a huge threat right across the park, similar to what GI was for us. He must play fullback as far as I'm concerned.

I get the whole argument about Cody playing better since he got injured because he had to stand up but I see no reason why Cody can't play that good, or perhaps even better, with Latrell back there. The attack struggled early this year because Latrell wasn't familiar with the rest of the spine and they weren't familiar with Latrell. When that started to change, we looked incredible and that unfamiliarity will be less of a factor in 2021.
yeah Callmack, that's how I see it, and that's how I hope it turns out.

Look I believe Corey can be valuable to us, he has very good hand/passing skills, good vision, able to put guys into a gap with his passing, that's why I think he could make a good 5/8. But he'll be waiting a while. If he's happy with that, I'm good with keeping him on

Travitoh

First Grade
Taane Milne is a very interesting signing. At his previous clubs he has been well thought of as a player, just not as a professional. With a bit of maturity and the right guidance, he could emerge as a starting centre come round one.

I think he's also capable of filling in the backrow if required, making him a genuine bench option.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Taane Milne is a very interesting signing. At his previous clubs he has been well thought of as a player, just not as a professional. With a bit of maturity and the right guidance, he could emerge as a starting centre come round one.

I think he's also capable of filling in the backrow if required, making him a genuine bench option.
Don't know him or remember seeing him play. Have you seen any of him to let us know what he's like?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Rabbitohs sign Jacob Host and Taane Milne: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/22/rabbitohs-sign-jacob-host-and-taane-milne/

Really good signings for mine. I assume they're both depth signings currently but who knows where they can end up?! For now, two very quality depth signings. However, I can see Host especially pushing for a spot in the 17. Apparently a lot of Dragons fans are upset at losing him, he's highly rated there.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Announce Harold Matthews Squad for 2021: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...tohs-announce-harold-matthews-squad-for-2021/

Jet on the move - Bunnies star has ‘played his last game’ for the club: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/a591510f038dacc2ce256d67e5f685d9

Look, it kind of pains me to say this but I agree with the clubs call in regards to Roberts. On his day, he's an absolute superstar but we have to face the facts, he's been fairly average for a while now and hasn't lived up to the hype or his salary. That's not knocking him, it's just being realistic. We must be ruthless in terms of finding success and that's what's happening here. If it means we can get Addo-Carr then I'm all for it.

The Jet’s exit just freed up valuable cap space. Here’s how Souths should spend it: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/869d1df3e45a8c1f156b6836b708164a

Broncos wade into four-team Suaalii fight - Hooper: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/4609368ff977f9e6b57f6889278aca81
Yeah, that FOX article is interesting, about how they should spend the money, number 1 being get the Foxx, and number 2 being extend Mitchell. My sentiments exactly.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Travitoh

First Grade
Don't know him or remember seeing him play. Have you seen any of him to let us know what he's like?

From memory he loves a tackle break and offload. A player in the Solomon Kata/Konrad Hurrell/Brenko Lee mould. Played for StGI a few years back when they were a top 8 contender. Then had a few off field issues that have halted his career since.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Has the talent, but is a lazy trainer,not putting in the effort needed,here is hoping he will pull his finger out
From memory he loves a tackle break and offload. A player in the Solomon Kata/Konrad Hurrell/Brenko Lee mould. Played for StGI a few years back when they were a top 8 contender. Then had a few off field issues that have halted his career since.
Ok thanks fellas

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
The rumour mill is doing my head in, I think I need to quit it but....
I found these tid-bits, don't know what to make of any of it:

Number 1:
From the TeleCrap -
South Sydney’s Corey Allan too good to spend another year stuck behind Latrell Mitchell
Paul Crawley, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Another South Sydney star is set to follow James Roberts out the exit door at Redfern as the Rabbitohs confirm two signings for the 2021 season
Corey Allan has gone from an NRL fringe player to getting his State of Origin call up in less than two months.

Now South Sydney’s rising star is being spruiked to rival clubs on the lookout for a fullback for next season.

While Allan still has a year to run on his current contract, it is understood the Rabbitohs would be reluctant to stand in his way if he can secure a long-term upgrade elsewhere.

It comes as the Rabbitohs on Thursday announced the signings of St George Illawarra forward Jacob Host until the end of 2023 and Taane Milne on a two-year deal.

Number 2:
JAC to the Bulldogs by James Hooper

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/4609368ff977f9e6b57f6889278aca81

Number 3:
Some Souths dude on a member's forum:
https://weststigersforum.com/assets...e2c5bbd-a47b-4875-9c9b-52942442160c-image.png

Big changes ahead or a bunch of rubbish???

Rabbits20

Immortal
South Sydney’s Corey Allan too good to spend another year stuck behind Latrell Mitchell
October 22, 2020 4:05pm
Subscriber only

Corey Allan has gone from an NRL fringe player to getting his State of Origin call up in less than two months.

Now South Sydney’s rising star is being spruiked to rival clubs on the lookout for a fullback for next season.

While Allan still has a year to run on his current contract, it is understood the Rabbitohs would be reluctant to stand in his way if he can secure a long-term upgrade elsewhere.

It comes as the Rabbitohs on Thursday announced the signings of St George Illawarra forward Jacob Host until the end of 2023 and Taane Milne on a two-year deal.

Allan, 22, jumped right up the leaderboard for players coming off contract at the end of 2021 after doing such an outstanding job filling in for the injured Latrell Mitchell late in the season.

But while he has proven he’s too good to spend another year stuck behind Latrell, there’s no way he is going to get the chance to own the No. 1 jumper permanently at Souths.

Allan will get the chance to further push his claims after being promoted into the Queensland squad this week.

It’s been a meteoric rise for the former Brisbane Bronco who was the Rabbitohs’ rookie of the year in 2019 while playing on the wing, but fullback is his preferred and best position.

But the Bunnies have an oversupply of outside backs with James Roberts also chasing a new club despite having a year to run on his contract.

Braidon Burns and Dane Gagai are two more of the Rabbitohs outside backs coming off contract at the end of next season.

Roberts’ situation is particularly interesting given he’s on $550,000-a-season.

But he’ll be returning from a pectoral injury having not played the majority of this season, while he also spent time in a rehab facility to help him deal with some personal issues.

Souths officials are being very secretive about Roberts’ situation, but talk has been doing the rounds of the NRL for several weeks that he was likely to be squeezed out.

But Wayne Bennett has been very protective of Roberts throughout his career knowing the full difficulties of his upbringing, and no doubt Bennett will want to do the best by him here.

Gagai is also on a huge $650,000 salary coming into the final year of his current contract.

While Gagai had a pretty solid season, what can’t be ignored is that he turns 30 in January, so his new market value will take that into account.

Souths also have youngsters such as Jaxson Paulo and Stephen Marsters who stepped up this year, along with Campbell Graham who is still only 21.

The club only recently extended the contracts of Graham and Alex Johnston.

Skipper Adam Reynolds is another of the Bunnies’ big names coming off contract at the end of next season.

There has been no movement on extending Reynolds’ deal at this point but no doubt that will become a priority in the coming weeks.

Bennett won’t want too much change going into next season given it will be his final year at the Rabbitohs.

And after they made it to the preliminary final this year despite a stack of injuries, Bennett knows at full fitness he has a squad capable of challenging for the title in what will be his final year as an NRL head coach.

Second-rower Host, 24, and centre Milne, 25, will give the Rabbitohs added depth.

“We’re really looking forward to Jacob and Taane joining us next season,” Rabbitohs head of football Mark Ellison said.

Jacob comes highly recommended by JD (Demetriou) and he has been on our radar for a number of seasons.

“He has performed strongly for the Dragons in the opportunities he’s been given and we’re looking forward to him pushing for a spot in our top 17 on a weekly basis.”

Milne had limited opportunities at the Warriors after being sacked by the Wests Tigers following a second positive drug test.

A neck injury has also forced Souths forward Ethan Lowe to retire.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/986156fa2fc68fcdf4dfe3b316c28ff5

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don’t know much about Milne but re Host he’s solid and reliable and some Dragons members and fans aren’t happy he’s going as he’s about to come into his prime.

When a couple of injuries hit we will need Host and he will be hungry to prove himself.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I would also play Latrell at fullback he just has to play there it’s best for us.

If another club comes knocking for Allan if they wanna pay him fully what we are paying him for 2021 I do not think we should stand in his way he’d be great for a team on the fringe of the top 8.

Re Addo Carr there is strong talk he’s going to be announced as going to the Dogs next week. But remember last year at this time Latrell was going to Wests and it didn’t eventuate. Who knows what will happen.

I can’t see us releasing Jet unless we have something big lined up like Addo.

My mate tells me we will get Addo Carr, if he’s wrong I’ll give him a serve for his wrong source.

Also just looking at how our pack looks right now for 2021 it looks good at this early stage of pre season:

8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Tom
11. Su’a
12. Siro
13. Murray

14. Tatola
15. Cartwright
16. Knight
17. Koloamatangi

Nicholls
Sele
Host

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I would also play Latrell at fullback he just has to play there it’s best for us.

If another club comes knocking for Allan if they wanna pay him fully what we are paying him for 2021 I do not think we should stand in his way he’d be great for a team on the fringe of the top 8.

Re Addo Carr there is strong talk he’s going to be announced as going to the Dogs next week. But remember last year at this time Latrell was going to Wests and it didn’t eventuate. Who knows what will happen.

I can’t see us releasing Jet unless we have something big lined up like Addo.

My mate tells me we will get Addo Carr, if he’s wrong I’ll give him a serve for his wrong source.

Also just looking at how our pack looks right now for 2021 it looks good at this early stage of pre season:

8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Tom
11. Su’a
12. Siro
13. Murray

14. Tatola
15. Cartwright
16. Knight
17. Koloamatangi

Nicholls
Sele
Host
I'm thinking we are signing these fringe guys for probably not much $$$ and the squad is already building to 30. Are we holding a sizeable amount of money for a special signing?

You'd have to think Souths might be wanting to go "all in" for next year, or at the latest 2022

callmack1

Staff member
‘I’m dozing off’ - Matty Johns’ son Jack stitches him up with hilarious phone call prank: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/551ad678329ff24c7773262f9de20c68

Just on Allan, he looks to be in a similar position to Doueihi this time last year, however, I'm hoping this situation has a different outcome. Look, I agree if a club comes knocking, we shouldn't stand in his way but I really don't want to lose Corey. I'm sure no one does. I remember watching one of his media conferences a couple of weeks ago and he was asked about next year. He said he loes the club and that he doesn't mind, he'll do what's best for the team. That seemed genuine and I hope it proves to be.

The rumour mill is doing my head in, I think I need to quit it but....
I found these tid-bits, don't know what to make of any of it:

Number 1:
From the TeleCrap -

Another South Sydney star is set to follow James Roberts out the exit door at Redfern as the Rabbitohs confirm two signings for the 2021 season

Number 2:
JAC to the Bulldogs by James Hooper

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/4609368ff977f9e6b57f6889278aca81

Number 3:
Some Souths dude on a member's forum:
https://weststigersforum.com/assets...e2c5bbd-a47b-4875-9c9b-52942442160c-image.png

Big changes ahead or a bunch of rubbish???
In regards to Number three, I'm hoping some of those rumoured 'be told to look elsewhere's' aren't true. I find it hard to believe that Knight and Marsters would be told that because they've just re-signed. Not saying it's not true, I just doubt it is. Wayne knows the squad we have currently is so close and we have to be careful we don't change too much.

In Wayne we trust, In souths we trust, Hopefully it all works out fine.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Onya Adam led from the front this season his first as captain.

Heal and rest well champion and enjoy family time you deserve it!

Love he doesn’t let on either, when the media ask him how his body is he said never felt better feeling great.

Lads just on his Insta today he said he will really miss the lads, Amone has confirmed he’s leaving.

Can‘t keep them all I guess, still a shame to see him go hopefully another club picks him up.

Rumour that Mago is set to be given another opportunity by us.