What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Day/twilight GF - success?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Move to Perth, we have the GF in the afternoon :) Perfect timing. Beers and BBQ from 12, settle down in front of the big screen at 4ish. All done and in bed by 8 :)

Fangs

Coach
Not in Fangs eyes. Hate it.

Give me night, give me day...don't taunt me with both.

Diesel

Coach
What ever rates better will always win.

And night always rates better.

And Sunday night is prime. Everyone is home.
Sunday night is prime time but in a normal year, how many people aren’t at home on a Sunday night long weekend? It’s like Saturday night v2.0

horrie hastings

First Grade
When did we switch to night Grand Finals ? think it was 2001 and that was also basically when the Grand Final would be played on the long weekend, before that i think most Grand Finals were played the week before the long weekend ( apart from 2000 which was the Olympic year )

Incorrect

Coach
When did we switch to night Grand Finals ? think it was 2001 and that was also basically when the Grand Final would be played on the long weekend, before that i think most Grand Finals were played the week before the long weekend ( apart from 2000 which was the Olympic year )
Yep, that's my recollection too. And the Bathurst 1000 used to have the Long Weekend to itself but they've moved that since the NRL hijacked the long weekend i think

Also with the way the climate has been changing, the weather is quite often hot at ANZ during the day on the October long weekend. Of all the GF's I've been to since 2002, the afternoons have usually been so hot inside the stadium you could fry eggs on your seats if you were on the eastern side of the field.

Last edited:

2001 was the first nighttime grand final.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Also with the way the climate has been changing, the weather is quite often hot at ANZ during the day on the October long weekend. Of all the GF's I've been to since 2002, the afternoons have usually been so hot inside the stadium you could fry eggs on your seats if you were on the eastern side of the field.

Yes 2002, 2013, 2018 and 2019 have all been very hot before the big game. 2003 was miserable and pouring with rain long before kick off. Not sure what 2004 was like because i didn't attend.
Cant remember what 2010 was like beforehand but i remember the rain setting in in the second half, that game wise a 5pm kick off from memory.

myrrh ken

First Grade
It's on too f**king late. Had to put kids to bed before it was finished. Would be alright if it was Saturday but it's a bloody school night

Latest posts