What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Grand Final PENRITH v STORM - 25th October

hindy111

Post Whore
Ok Gus. Storm repelled them time and time again. The Kikau ‘forward pass’ call was a shocker. But I think every other call was fine. You make your own luck in the GF. Penrith were poor last week and yesterday. The score line flattered them

I am taking the piss a little. I do understand rugby league. My actual thoughts

They shit the bed. At 10-0 Cleary throws a stinker of a pass. It had intercept written all over it.
With 67% possesion in first 22mins they come away with no points.I felt that was the game. That was there golden period and chance to lead. And I reckon they knew it. After that the tide turned for 18mins. And in that time 6-0 become 22-0. All the energy and spring in their step was gone. They went away from their game plan at 10-0 and imploded.

Kikau had a stinker of a game. And Korisau kept trying to draw a penalty by running into the marker. He dropped the ball a few times doing this. The first lead to a try. Stupid in the wet.
Add Cleary not getting a finger on Papenhuazen who goes 80mtrs.
The is I saw the game. I also felt Tamou and Yeo needed more mins. And Kikau needed to be hooked early. You could see he was off. Wet weather is not his game.

An incorrect call then gifted the Panthers a try. And they scored 2 more with Storm a man short. 26-0 was more true indication of the game. And without that call I would go as far as saying Stormmput on another 2 and make it closer to 40.

The rub of green favoured the Storm. But they had limited chances yet took all of them. Panthers failed on many.

They also created overlaps and passed to early to butcher breaks. Edwards a major factor here. Had they had Gutherson it may of been different.

But overall I reckon the Storm handled them easily. They handled every side easy. Parra pushed them the hardest but failed to slow game down when needed.
Simply they are just too good.

Last edited:

eel01s

Bench
I think the occasion caught up to the Panthers. They looked overawed.

Poor kicks by Cleary early on didn't help. Their first try should never have been allowed by the bunker (remember our disallowed try off a Mahoney kick under the same circumstances?).

strider

Post Whore
The game was lost on poor calls.

- Penalty try? Billy Slater made a career on these. That was a knock on. ..... I agree no try .... I know there is a rule you cannot kick at the ball, but I don't believe he did. He put his leg under and Olam put it on his leg. Gutho did something similar in a game this year and it was called no try.

- Penrith no try. Brenko made wrong call. That was clear. ... While I agree I think a try would have been scored anyway - I think 9 time out of 10 this is ruled a no try

- Crighton in clear with two on inside. Certain 6. Kikau passed backward into a storm player called knock on. .... yep bad call - tho I'm not sure it would have been a try

- hindy111 you forgot one bad call ... Yeo runs behind his own player then kicks for a try ... while I don't think anyone was actually obstructed, it is always ruled a penalty now.

Then you had the luck factor.

- Storm drop ball hits a panther then Kilau gets it. 9/10 it's called a knock on. But called Penlaty Storm. 2 points. .... agree - gift 2 points .... I don't even think he was offside when it hit the panthers player, he was moving forward

- Intercept try. .... really poor pass ... pennies panicked and started doing dumb shit

- Cam Smith has ball raked with 4 seconds to go. Its bounce up and he scores. That was as flukey as it gets. ... agree - lucky prick .... I actually think this was no try cos NAS didn't play the ball properly - yet they never even looked

Not one call went Panthers way. Untill it was 26-0.
No luck went Penriths way.

The better side lost. The smarter team won.

I don't think I would say better side lost .... penrith did shit the bed a bit when they couldn't score early on - this is how melbourne f**k teams over and win

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There’s really not much of a future for small forwards in the game, unless they have a shitload of skill. And quite frankly I haven’t seen anything of ray stone. But under our current system he may play 150 FG games before someone notices he can’t play....
We'll know whether he can play by his win rate.

84 Baby

Referee
I think the occasion caught up to the Panthers. They looked overawed.

Poor kicks by Cleary early on didn't help. Their first try should never have been allowed by the bunker (remember our disallowed try off a Mahoney kick under the same circumstances?).
The one against Mahoney was even worse because the only reason he did it was because they were 15m offside

strider

Post Whore
Take his wife's $20,000 ring back!!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sm...ontroversial-sin-binning-20201025-p568g5.html

Smith faces potential fine after accusing referees of 'making an exciting finish'

"The last three or four penalties they have got is little very picky stuff and we have got nothing mate," Smith was heard to say on the Channel Nine FX mic to Sutton before Hughes was sent to the bin.

"I get it, everyone wants an exciting finish. But we are just the same as them. Stop trying to pick little things out of our game to make an exciting finish."

Gazzamatta

Coach
The disappointment of Parras demise can now be put to bed. Covid Season 2020 has been run and won.
I dont know why but I took some joy out of the game last night as all that happened, be it bad luck, poor decisions, inexperience, lousy selections, bad referreeing etc are what we as Eels supporters are subjected to when our expectations are at our highest. It felt like it was our Eels in Licorice Allsorts Jerseys. Of cause then the realisation it wasnt created a sense of euphoria which gave great delight.
All is not so bad in the world. After experiencing 2001 we know exactly how Pennys Supporters feel today.
Life goes on. We have an Eels heighreachy who are not content with how our season concluded and that is good. Now is not the time to pat ourselves on the back. Unless we are, and provide evidence of being the best, we should never be content. A Melbourne Storm/Sydney Roosters mentality if you will.
Roll on 2021.

Joely01

Bench
Ivan lost them the game yet when our super coach f*^ks up he’s glorified here like no other. You’re becoming the biggest nuttt hugger here. Well done.

When have i glorified a mistake BA has made?? I said he has had bench issues most of the season... I’m just not here being negative every single comment like you do. I actually enjoy talking about some positives and how far our team is coming!

But keep putting words in my mouth you piece of S**t

Gronk

Staff member
Camillions accuses the ref of cheating and the NRL buys his wife another ring.

OK I made the last bit up.

Cam

“The last three or four penalties they have got is little very picky stuff and we have got nothing mate,” Smith said before Hughes was sent to the bin.

“I get it, everyone wants an exciting finish. But we are just the same as them.

“Stop trying to pick little things out of our game to make an exciting finish.”

Earlier this year - coach Cleary (fined $20,000)

“It felt like they were being managed back into the game,'' Cleary said.

parra pete

Referee
Camillions accuses the ref of cheating and the NRL buys his wife another ring.

OK I made the last bit up.

Cam

“The last three or four penalties they have got is little very picky stuff and we have got nothing mate,” Smith said before Hughes was sent to the bin.

“I get it, everyone wants an exciting finish. But we are just the same as them.

“Stop trying to pick little things out of our game to make an exciting finish.”

Earlier this year - coach Cleary (fined $20,000)

“It felt like they were being managed back into the game,'' Cleary said.

Of course he shouldn't be fined..That bloke Sutton should be made to apologise to Mr Smith..

Reminds me of the story....
A young cowboy, new to town, walks into the saloon wanting to make an impression. There's a pianist with his back to the cowboy playing a tune. There are two candles on either end of the piano.

The young gun draws quickly and shoots out the candle on the left hand side. The bar goes silent, but the pianist keeps on playing. So the cowboy draws again and shoots out the right hand candle. There are gasps from the bar, but the pianist keeps playing. So the cowboy draws and shoots the hat off the pianist ... but he just keeps on playing.

Dejected, the cowboy sidles up to the bar and orders a drink. The barman looks him in the eye and says

"Son, can I give you three pieces of advice"

"sure"

"Firstly, I notice you shoot from the hip. You should file down the sight on your gun, 'cause you don't need it and one day it will catch on your holster and get you in trouble"

"Secondly, get rid of the trigger guard, cause if you're in a fight, you need to shoot as quickly as possible and one day that might just mean the difference between life and death"

"Thirdly, you should cover your guns in vaseline"

"Vaseline? Why?"

"Cause when Wyatt Earp finishes playing the piano, he's gonna shove those things up your arse"

IFR33K

Coach
When have i glorified a mistake BA has made?? I said he has had bench issues most of the season... I’m just not here being negative every single comment like you do. I actually enjoy talking about some positives and how far our team is coming!

But keep putting words in my mouth you piece of S**t

Oh my. That’s tough mate. You need to chill and hug a nut my friend.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ivan lost them the game
They lost the game because Melbourne have a much better team. That Cleary tried something different points to his realisation that he needed to take a risk to beat them. He took a risk and lost, but he would've lost anyway. Melbourne only had to turn up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I am taking the piss a little. I do understand rugby league. My actual thoughts

They shit the bed. At 10-0 Cleary throws a stinker of a pass. It had intercept written all over it.
With 67% possesion in first 22mins they come away with no points.I felt that was the game. That was there golden period and chance to lead. And I reckon they knew it.
The point is it didn't have to be. A more experienced, hardened team would have just hung in there and stuck with the process, and maybe stolen the win late in the game. Like the Sharks in 2016. If you don't score from sustained possession you should take confidence from the idea that you've worn your opponent down and they'll fatigue down the end. Deciding you can't win is a choice, mostly one taken by teams lacking big game experience.

IFR33K

Coach
They lost the game because Melbourne have a much better team. That Cleary tried something different points to his realisation that he needed to take a risk to beat them. He took a risk and lost, but he would've lost anyway. Melbourne only had to turn up.

Did you read my post? I never suggested Ivan lost it