What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King hit

Coach
I'm sure he does, but his main motivations are his real job which includes pssing off Victoria to try and make NSW racing more relevant. There is no reason for alienating part of your customer base if what he says was for the benefit of RL. Its all about NSW racing and using his NRL platform for that. Wake up people.
Take up comedy

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I'm sure he does, but his main motivations are his real job which includes pssing off Victoria to try and make NSW racing more relevant. There is no reason for alienating part of your customer base if what he says was for the benefit of RL. Its all about NSW racing and using his NRL platform for that. Wake up people.
You've gone off the deep end bro

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well they don’t want to co-exist, they have made it clear for 20 years they see the NRL, ARU and Football Australia as a competitor to their sport and have made every effort to shoot down those sports through their controlled media (ie Robert Craddock saying AFL is taking over in Brisbane and origin tickets were selling slow, despite not being on sale at the time).
V’Landys is the guy that is prepared to throw it back at them but the people in rugby league media are his biggest challenge. Knob jockeys like James Hooper and Paul Crawley and Paul Kent bagging the crap out of every aspect is constantly holding the game back from becoming what it should be.

Outrage gets clicks and eyeballs, get used to it. Pete has signed us up with Fox for another 7 years and this dumbed down crap is what will pass as league entertainment.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Wollongong migrant kid and has been quoted saying that rugby league is what helped him fit in and gain friendships as a youngster. I think he cares quite a bit about Rugba League.

Never mentioned any of that stuff in any other interview he had in the past.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Never mentioned any of that stuff in any other interview he had in the past.
https://greekherald.com.au/sports/c...the-tone-for-peter-vlandys-career-trajectory/

When rugby league resumed play over the weekend, players largely had one man to thank – Peter V’landys.

Over the past two months, the Chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission pushed on to resume the competition on May 28 despite facing opposition from politicians, health officials and more recently, referees.

While these public debates have seen V’landys’ profile pushed into the public spotlight in recent months, the former Keira Boys High School student has been on a steady trajectory to the top of the sports administration world for much of his career.

A former Chief Executive of the NSW Harness Racing Club and the current CEO of Racing NSW, a role held since 2004, V’landys has long been highly regarded within the sporting industry.

vlandys-racing.jpg

V’landys’ career in Australian sport began with his work in harness racing. Source: The Australian.
But if you go back even further, those who knew the child of Greek migrants while he was growing up in Wollongong, believe he was always destined to become one of the most powerful men in Australian sport.

“Peter ran some businesses when he was pretty young, he ran a restaurant in Wollongong, he went to Harold Park and ran harness racing,” St George Illawarra recruitment manager, Ian Millward, told the Illawarra Mercury.

“I remember when he got that job I thought it was a big job, but he didn’t just do well, he was very successful. Obviously he hasn’t been a one-trick pony.”

Millward’s ties to V’landys run deep. The pair grew up in the same street, they both attended Keira Boys High School and they played rugby league together for Wests Illawarra.

V’landys eventually went on to pursue a career in business, getting his commerce degree from the University of Wollongong. However, he recognises that he wouldn’t be where he is today without the experience of playing rugby league.

“One thing rugby league does is it creates friendship and mateship. I was now one of them, it brought me into the fold. I was no longer the Mediterranean Descendant,” V’landys said.

“When you’re a young kid, that’s important. Self esteem when you’re growing up is important, so playing rugby league was very important for me.

“If I hadn’t, god knows where I would’ve ended up. My confidence levels would’ve been bad, my opportunities and chances would have been substantially less.”

vlandys-inside.jpg

V’landys wants to repay the rugby league sport for everything it taught him during his childhood years. Source: Illawarra Mercury.
Given the way rugby league helped a young V’landys gain popularity in the classroom and laid the platform for a successful career, the ARLC chairman always had a desire to give back to the sport that gave him so much.

“I wanted to play for Australia, wear the green and gold. It made me determined to be someone and I wanted rugby league to help me get there,” V’landys said.

“I never got there. My parents, being migrants, they didn’t think rugby league was a career. So I went to uni and got into business, took a different path.

“But I never forgot what rugby league did for me. When the opportunity to pay it back came, I took it up. That’s why I’m doing what I’m doing. It’s purely to repay the game.”

Sourced: Illawarra Mercury.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
https://greekherald.com.au/sports/c...the-tone-for-peter-vlandys-career-trajectory/

When rugby league resumed play over the weekend, players largely had one man to thank – Peter V’landys.

Over the past two months, the Chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission pushed on to resume the competition on May 28 despite facing opposition from politicians, health officials and more recently, referees.

While these public debates have seen V’landys’ profile pushed into the public spotlight in recent months, the former Keira Boys High School student has been on a steady trajectory to the top of the sports administration world for much of his career.

A former Chief Executive of the NSW Harness Racing Club and the current CEO of Racing NSW, a role held since 2004, V’landys has long been highly regarded within the sporting industry.

vlandys-racing.jpg

V’landys’ career in Australian sport began with his work in harness racing. Source: The Australian.
But if you go back even further, those who knew the child of Greek migrants while he was growing up in Wollongong, believe he was always destined to become one of the most powerful men in Australian sport.

“Peter ran some businesses when he was pretty young, he ran a restaurant in Wollongong, he went to Harold Park and ran harness racing,” St George Illawarra recruitment manager, Ian Millward, told the Illawarra Mercury.

“I remember when he got that job I thought it was a big job, but he didn’t just do well, he was very successful. Obviously he hasn’t been a one-trick pony.”

Millward’s ties to V’landys run deep. The pair grew up in the same street, they both attended Keira Boys High School and they played rugby league together for Wests Illawarra.

V’landys eventually went on to pursue a career in business, getting his commerce degree from the University of Wollongong. However, he recognises that he wouldn’t be where he is today without the experience of playing rugby league.

“One thing rugby league does is it creates friendship and mateship. I was now one of them, it brought me into the fold. I was no longer the Mediterranean Descendant,” V’landys said.

“When you’re a young kid, that’s important. Self esteem when you’re growing up is important, so playing rugby league was very important for me.

“If I hadn’t, god knows where I would’ve ended up. My confidence levels would’ve been bad, my opportunities and chances would have been substantially less.”

vlandys-inside.jpg

V’landys wants to repay the rugby league sport for everything it taught him during his childhood years. Source: Illawarra Mercury.
Given the way rugby league helped a young V’landys gain popularity in the classroom and laid the platform for a successful career, the ARLC chairman always had a desire to give back to the sport that gave him so much.

“I wanted to play for Australia, wear the green and gold. It made me determined to be someone and I wanted rugby league to help me get there,” V’landys said.

“I never got there. My parents, being migrants, they didn’t think rugby league was a career. So I went to uni and got into business, took a different path.

“But I never forgot what rugby league did for me. When the opportunity to pay it back came, I took it up. That’s why I’m doing what I’m doing. It’s purely to repay the game.”

Sourced: Illawarra Mercury.

Yes I've heard this story a number of times since covid hit. My comment was more to do with years past eg. when he first got elected to RL board, even background stories when he wasn't involved with RL.

I'd appreciate one of those articles if you find one.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yes I've heard this story a number of times since covid hit. My comment was more to do with years past eg. when he first got elected to RL board, even background stories when he wasn't involved with RL.

I'd appreciate one of those articles if you find one.
So you're after his life history?

They've asked him about rugby league so he's told them. Unless a journalist in the past asked him about it you're not going to find anything.

Unless you want him to just offer it up to everyone he meets??

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So you're after his life history?

They've asked him about rugby league so he's told them. Unless a journalist in the past asked him about it you're not going to find anything.

Unless you want him to just offer it up to everyone he meets??

No you're exaggerating. I didn't say that.

Just an article containing the same background story when he first entered rugby league will do.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Victorians have the biggest case of 'inferiority complex' on the planet. Self proclaimed sporting capital of the world.

They are the home of AFL and not much else...
Melbourne’s reputation as the World’s Sporting Capital is well deserved. Name another city that hosts four or more events bigger than the Melbourne Cup, Boxing Day Test, Australian Open and AFL GF.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Victoria is a state of spectators.
Producing 1 good cricket per century. No soccer players. No Rugby players.
I will concede that we are not very good at those sports. All the best athletes play AWFUL/AFL as many on here so cleverly call it.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Melbourne’s reputation as the World’s Sporting Capital is well deserved. Name another city that hosts four or more events bigger than the Melbourne Cup, Boxing Day Test, Australian Open and AFL GF.

F1 GP another big event, a cracker of a day on both Saturday and Sunday

IMG_2388.JPG

Perth Red

Post Whore

London maybe? FA cup, Challenge Cup, London Marathon, NFL games every, Wimbledon, Union tests at Twickers, major cricket games at Lords and The Oval. I think you'd have to give it to London on review.

Dragonwest

Juniors

Arrrgggh London?

Wimbledon
Premier League
FA Cup Final
Cricket at Lords & The Oval
London Marathon
The Epsom
Rugby Test Matches at Twickenham
Rugby League Challenge Cup Final

Latest posts