What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Wow there’s some interesting developments there alright. Sione to England is a surprise to me, I’ve got a soft spot for the guy because he was a constant for us during those really tough years. Definitely didn’t turn out to be what we all hoped he would be when he first came along but at worst he’s an outstanding clubman and a decent first grader.

Realistically it’s the right move for us if it frees up money to bring a playmaker like Clifford in. We are doing alright in the back row but obviously there’s a big hole at no.6

Knight Vision

First Grade
That would mean we've lost forwards

Herman
Glasby
Guerra
Sione

and gained

Frizell

Still a shortfall in forwards unless our young fellas are ready to step up ? but they still wont fill the void of quality and experience.

That's about a net loss of a few hundred games of NRL experience right there.

EDIT- but we need a 5/8 more than we do more forwards

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
The gap between how good fans thought he was and how good he actually was is incredible.

That is the case with a lot of Knight's players.

Pretty sure some people, not too long ago, suggested he would play origin. Ditto Barnett.

Klemmer has 2 seasons here and now can't make Origin.

Fingers crossed OBrien can turn us around soon. I think improving on our 2020 finish is going to be a big ask.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
That is the case with a lot of Knight's players.

Pretty sure some people, not too long ago, suggested he would play origin. Ditto Barnett.

Klemmer has 2 seasons here and now can't make Origin.

Fingers crossed OBrien can turn us around soon. I think improving on our 2020 finish is going to be a big ask.

The Klemmer thing has nothing to do with form or playing for the Knights, he played better footy this year than last year and possibly better than some previous years. It’s more a reflection on the high quality and in form front rowers that NSW has access to this year, this is the best depth that NSW has had in 15 years so someone’s gotta miss out.

Also Dan has been picked so this whole idea that Knights players are all overrated and going backward just isn’t accurate.

Personally I think AOB will expect to do better in 2021 and has a squad capable of better. Having a rep second rower and a proper hooker will help a lot in this regard.

EdLondon

Juniors
Wow there’s some interesting developments there alright. Sione to England is a surprise to me, I’ve got a soft spot for the guy because he was a constant for us during those really tough years. Definitely didn’t turn out to be what we all hoped he would be when he first came along but at worst he’s an outstanding clubman and a decent first grader.

Realistically it’s the right move for us if it frees up money to bring a playmaker like Clifford in. We are doing alright in the back row but obviously there’s a big hole at no.6

He will kill it over there

Spot On

Coach
The Klemmer thing has nothing to do with form or playing for the Knights, he played better footy this year than last year and possibly better than some previous years. It’s more a reflection on the high quality and in form front rowers that NSW has access to this year, this is the best depth that NSW has had in 15 years so someone’s gotta miss out.

Also Dan has been picked so this whole idea that Knights players are all overrated and going backward just isn’t accurate.

Personally I think AOB will expect to do better in 2021 and has a squad capable of better. Having a rep second rower and a proper hooker will help a lot in this regard.

Knights fans over rate many of their players.

Klem has good numbers for us but not the style of front rower suited to origin. Plus there is no aggression in his game anymore. Our pack does not intimidate - at all.

Dan I think is a little lucky to be picked but I hope he has blinders in origin. At his best, he should perform well.

But I dont think our NSW props are world beaters at all.

Of course Obi will expect to do better. However, it will be a bigger challenge for this team to keep their spot in the eight in 2021 than it was to finish 7th this season. Too many teams below us this year that will improve out of sight imo. Not many above us that will slide.

Last edited:

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Starting to get really concerned about our depth next year.
We will likely do business over the course of the summer, just doing the smart thing and starting to clear the decks a little so AOB can have a better look at what we currently need.

There will be teams that have salary cap pressure , that will need to release or move on players, this is the market we will likely look to attack.

aqua_duck

Coach

Klem has good numbers for us but not the style of front rower suited to origin. Plus there is no aggression in his game anymore. Our pack does not intimidate - at all.

Dan I think is a little lucky to be picked but I hope he has blinders in origin. At his best, he should perform well.

Of course Obi will expect to do better. However, it will be a bigger challenge for this team to keep their spot in the eight in 2021 than it was to finish 7th this season. Too many teams below us this year that will improve out of sight imo. Not many above us that will slide.
I think Klem and D Saf were victims of the ineptitude around them as well as the game plan. D Saf was one of the best props in the NRL this year, averaged 144m per game despite his minutes being down after injury and averaged 10.4m per carry which is amongst the best in the league. He also had 6 Line breaks in 14 games which is insane for a prop, for reference Papalii had 5 Line breaks in 23 games. The only thing D Saf needs to develop is a genuine offloading game

Silent Knight

First Grade

“Their players”. Aren’t you a Knights fan as well? From your above post I’m concerned you’ve been listening to Nick too much.

I’m okay with criticising Pearce because he’s been woefully out of form this year. But to think that Klemmer and Saifiti are overrated is ridiculous.

Klemmer has been a mainstay at Origin and Test level for years on end and Fittler’s exclusion of him entirely from the squad smacks of the politics that has always existed in the NSW Blues organisation.

In what universe are Nathan Brown (fake tough guy) and RCG better than him? It goes back to the days of picking Josh Jackson or Jason King for the Blues, or playing Johns at hooker. NSW has always made dubious selection choices.

I for one though, am glad Klemmer hasn’t been picked and he will be fresh and ready to deliver for us yet again in 2021. Knights -> Blues.

Jono078

Referee
I like both of those players moving on. Good for Sione - I wouldn't say that's the end of his NRL career either, but the change could do him well and hopefully he locks in a position for his time over there.

Injuries have destroyed Moga. He played 1 good game for us this year then was rubbish.

Spot On

Coach
“Their players”. Aren’t you a Knights fan as well? From your above post I’m concerned you’ve been listening to Nick too much.

I’m okay with criticising Pearce because he’s been woefully out of form this year. But to think that Klemmer and Saifiti are overrated is ridiculous.

Klemmer has been a mainstay at Origin and Test level for years on end and Fittler’s exclusion of him entirely from the squad smacks of the politics that has always existed in the NSW Blues organisation.

In what universe are Nathan Brown (fake tough guy) and RCG better than him? It goes back to the days of picking Josh Jackson or Jason King for the Blues, or playing Johns at hooker. NSW has always made dubious selection choices.

I for one though, am glad Klemmer hasn’t been picked and he will be fresh and ready to deliver for us yet again in 2021. Knights -> Blues.

As I said, the NSW props are no world beaters but not sure Klemmer is a victim of politics. He's a bit down the pecking order atm and I think that is fair tbh.

And yes, Knights fans have an inflated view of their players.

Win something ie 1 semi final game and that can change.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I think Klem and D Saf were victims of the ineptitude around them as well as the game plan. D Saf was one of the best props in the NRL this year, averaged 144m per game despite his minutes being down after injury and averaged 10.4m per carry which is amongst the best in the league. He also had 6 Line breaks in 14 games which is insane for a prop, for reference Papalii had 5 Line breaks in 23 games. The only thing D Saf needs to develop is a genuine offloading game

... and some decent aggression with and without the ball.

The pack will not worry too many sides if they don't address that problem.

Old dog

Juniors
No doubt Dan deserves his SOO spot, as for Klem I think part of his game has dropped off, not moving as quick or coming from deep, hopefully he will get it back 2021.
With Sione (wish him well) moving on forwards are a bit thin but back ups including King, Jones, Saulo etc are better than our 5/8 options so not quite a worry at this stage and no doubt a couple of u20’s from 2019 will fill the void if needed. Be good if all grades are back for 21 so they can play and push for spots.

Still Nutty

Juniors
As I said, the NSW props are no world beaters but not sure Klemmer is a victim of politics. He's a bit down the pecking order atm and I think that is fair tbh.

And yes, Knights fans have an inflated view of their players.

Win something ie 1 semi final game and that can change.

Seems like we have drifted off Thread topic here a bit......but from what I've heard on his dropping from Origin, I think Klem has burnt a few bridges with Freddie (and possibly some of the Blues playing group) by his reaction to being dropped from Origin and the way he handled it - I've heard words like 'sooking' used and it seems that his attitude has blotted his copybook a bit.

With NSW having quite a strong pool of props to choose from and winning the last 2 series, he might have given Freddie a reason to leave him out rather than a reason to pick him?

aqua_duck

Coach
... and some decent aggression with and without the ball.

The pack will not worry too many sides if they don't address that problem.
I think aggression is an over stated thing under the new rules. Look at penriths pack, how many overly aggressive players are there in that pack? Same as the storm, how many old school enforcers do they have?