What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

Canard

Immortal
Is there an advantage to watching it streaming on your smart tv than on the main channel? Or are that many people really sat watching it on their phones?

I watched it through Ch9 on Foxtel box, is that counted as main channel or bvod?

Melbourne was still under lockdown when the GF was played, and I know people who legally gathered in the park to watch it (streamed of course).

Also, tablets and phones are the defacto 2nd (or 3rd TV) for that matter. People have it on whilst they are preparing a meal etc.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I watched the GF on my laptop through the 9now website and have done for a few years now.

Serious question though, how can we be anywhere near accurate with these ratings figures? There is no way to tell how many people are crowded around each TV, there is an unknown number of people crowded into just about every pub watching in on the big screen there.... if you mrs comes and just sits playing on her phone or talking to her friends does she count as a viewer?.... It all seems like BS guesswork to me.

The_Wookie

Bench
I watched the GF on my laptop through the 9now website and have done for a few years now.

Serious question though, how can we be anywhere near accurate with these ratings figures? There is no way to tell how many people are crowded around each TV, there is an unknown number of people crowded into just about every pub watching in on the big screen there.... if you mrs comes and just sits playing on her phone or talking to her friends does she count as a viewer?.... It all seems like BS guesswork to me.

its a survey, and like all surveys needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However its also still the standard industry uses to determine advertising rates and media rights, so its not going anywhere soon.

The_Wookie

Bench
How do our GFs generally rate in the UK? Or are those figures to hard to come by

Like US and Canadian ratings, the UK ones are pretty hard to come by. Up until 2017 we could get US ratings for some matches but since then nothing, the UK ones dont rate high enough, and we wont know until later this week if it cracked the top 100.

greenBV4

Bench
With pubs finally reopen down here i have a feeling Melbournes ratings for origin will be lower than usual, i know ill be watching all 3 from a beergarden

That and the fact its November, and a lot of the casual viewers it would get in Melbourne aren't aware it is on

The_Wookie

Bench
STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 1ST - MATCH

• LIVE VIEWING
    • Australia’s No. 1 program with People 25-54, 16-39, GS + Child and Total People.
    • No. 1 program in Sydney and Brisbane with Total People.
    • Timeslot winner across the 5 City and in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.
    • National peak audience: 2.798 million (Metro: 1.836 million / Regional: 963,000).
    • National average audience: 2.378 million (Metro: 1.598 million / Regional: 780,000).

This makes it the lowest rating Origin since Game 3 2003 and down 25% on Origin 1 last year.

Billythekid

First Grade
STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 1ST - MATCH

• LIVE VIEWING
    • Australia’s No. 1 program with People 25-54, 16-39, GS + Child and Total People.
    • Timeslot winner across the 5 City and in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.
    • National peak audience: 2.798 million (Metro: 1.836 million / Regional: 963,000).
    • National average audience: 2.378 million (Metro: 1.598 million / Regional: 780,000).

This makes it the lowest rating Origin since Game 3 2003 and down 25% on Origin 1 last year.

Yeah I have an inkling that the post season origin won’t be around long.

shear_joy9

Coach
Nine's commentary team and shithouse telecast certainly doesn't help with ratings. I waited until the grand final replay on fox started just to avoid nine and wish I did the same thing last night.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That'd be one of the lowest WA ratings in years. The game really has dropped off interest again here, hardly surprising I suppose.

The_Frog

First Grade
Nine's commentary team and shithouse telecast certainly doesn't help with ratings. I waited until the grand final replay on fox started just to avoid nine and wish I did the same thing last night.
You have to be watching it to know it's shithouse.

Diesel

Coach
Nine do. I thing to help their caught. Suck shit merkins. Origin will be back in July next year. 2020 is just a disruptive year

mongoose

Coach
I almost forgot it was on to be honest. It feels a bit like an Exhibition this year anyway.... It will give ammo to idiots from down south that NSW and QLD have now converted to AFL states but ratings will resume as normal when its played in middle of winter.

The_Wookie

Bench

State of Origin 2 builds audience and peaks with 2.825 million

• State of Origin 2 tops all key demos and Total People
  • State of Origin 2 builds audience with all key demos and Total People
  • Nine Network and primary channel wins Wednesday with all key demos and Total People

STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE NSW V QLD 2nd - MATCH

• LIVE VIEWING
    • Timeslot winner across the 5 City and in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.
    • National peak audience: 2.825 million (Metro: 1.854 million / Regional: 971,000).
    • National average audience: 2.434 million (Metro: 1.654 million / Regional: 780,000).
    • Up in metro audience on Origin 1:
      • by 5.9% with People 25-54 (771,000 v 728,000)
      • by 6.8% with People 16-39 (472,000 v 442,000)
      • by 7.9% with GS + Child (368,000 v 341,000)
      • by 3.5% with Total People (1.654 million v 1.598 million)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Metro well down.last year game 2 on a Sunday night drew 1.9mill and year before game 2 on a Wednesday drew 2.1million.