What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When will Cordner be forced into retirement ?

myrrh ken

First Grade
It's nice to know that the most disrespected player in the history of the LU forums is very much in the thoughts of LU forum members.

He's got insufficient personality to warrant such an emotive response.

Most overrated would get closer to the sentiment

Tommy Smith

Referee
So how many concussions has Cordner had vs your average NRL player to warrant all this talk?
Fewer than Sione Mata'utia who might already be a vegetable given the amount of concussions he's had over the years.

I'm not sure where the media attention and thread is for Sione.

Also, with the speed of the game being faster than ever thanks to the "6 again lottery", plus footy players being bigger and more powerful than ever, the scenario facing Boyd Cordner will become the norm.

How many players go off with concussions every round, over 1 per game? These will add up and we'll end up with dozens of players being forced into early retirement.

damoocow

Juniors
the only person I have heard talk about Cordner that I would listen to is Dr Adrian Cohen.. Everyone else has been some idiot in the media without any knowledge or training.
Dr Cohen expressed concern and it was valid. He is a concussion expert used by the NRL and Australian Rugby.
I know enough about the Roosters Drs to know that they put the players health well in front of the player's career.
It will be interesting to see what happens, if he does continue to play I am sure he will physically and mentally capably to continue because the decision will be passed/ratified by experts.

the opinions of the media and commentators in terms of Cordners health is nothing more than effluent flowing out of ignorant mouths

If they really put the health in front of the career they should have told him to wear head protection.

damoocow

Juniors
Then perhaps the NRL should make every player sign a form agreeing to the fact that they may get concussion and therefore personally accept the risk.
No sign, no play.

gUt

Coach
Fewer than Sione Mata'utia who might already be a vegetable given the amount of concussions he's had over the years.

Also, with the speed of the game being faster than ever thanks to the "6 again lottery", plus footy players being bigger and more powerful than ever, the scenario facing Boyd Cordner will become the norm.

How many players go off with concussions every round, over 1 per game? These will add up and we'll end up with dozens of players being forced into early retirement.

He plays a lot more finals and rep footy than Sione for one thing.

SDM

First Grade
Luke Keary should retire with him, both get concussed from glancing blows, it is hard to watch

Head gear does not provide any protection against concussion, only cuts, bruises etc - concussion is the brain rattling around inside the skull - no headgear can solve this.

We’ve seen how useless crash helmets in the NFL have been in protecting players from concussion.

Then perhaps the NRL should make every player sign a form agreeing to the fact that they may get concussion and therefore personally accept the risk.
No sign, no play.

I did think that way myself but it doesn’t exactly help the game’s image seeing concussed players continue to play. There’ll be tragic post career stories the media will run with too. It’ll impact junior numbers with mums keeping their kids in soccer, you’d think.

Valheru

Coach
Luke Keary should retire with him, both get concussed from glancing blows, it is hard to watch

Well that's not true

Keary hasn't had a concussion this year. He went off for HIA in the Canberra semi final and passed.

His last concussion was before SOO game 1 last season. .

Apey

Staff member

Well our club is largely irrelevant in the grander scheme of things so nobody cares. In the Newy bubble there's been plenty of concern over his concussions.

We’ve seen how useless crash helmets in the NFL have been in protecting players from concussion.

In fact there is some suspicion it has caused more than prevented as many tacklers in the NFL lead with the head thus causing the helmet to initiate contact sometimes directly "helmet to helmet" with the opposing player.

Saw a 16s at soccer head a high ball then stagger away jelly legged.

When I questioned that he was possibly concussed, I got told to rack off.
He backed up and did another header and stayed down. Came off dusty then went back on. Was fked post game.

Since then,
I’ve seen plenty of headers where players stagger away with typical signs.

So yeah...soccer is totally safe and they don’t want to address it despite talk of banning headers in some circles.

myrrh ken

First Grade
There was plenty at the time. 2 years ago.

Well that's not true

Keary hasn't had a concussion this year. He went off for HIA in the Canberra semi final and passed.

His last concussion was before SOO game 1 last season. .

Keary and Mata'utia have had at least 5 each. Keary in a shorter and more recent window. Keary didn't play a lot this year.

You're a mug if you don't think its a problem.

Friend has had a few as well.

Latest posts