What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I respectfully disagree.

There’s nothing professional about keeping the hard facts from him, probably for months and then surprising him in the manner that they did.

If the game was just about money, it wouldn’t exist, we’d have no juniors etc. thousands of people volunteer.

They had a choice and they decided to rip him off.

It’s shameful and they will pay dearly for it.

The issue is not about him playing for them next year, not even about loyalty....but about how they treated him. Very unprofessional, unnecessary and unjust.

He missed job opportunities when he didn’t have to because they decided to play the hero dickhead.

Was Mansour supposed to hear about it in the media. Or maybe wait till June next year when his contract is running out in November.

It sucks that it had to happen but sadly it did.

Should have Penrith let Staines and Laurie leave then ?

Or maybe Ivan Cleary text or ring him up to deliver the news. Matt Cameron and Cleary met face to face with Mansour.

Harsh. Yep but Penrith is a development club. Same thing happened with Tamou.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I respectfully disagree.

There’s nothing professional about keeping the hard facts from him, probably for months and then surprising him in the manner that they did.

If the game was just about money, it wouldn’t exist, we’d have no juniors etc. thousands of people volunteer.

They had a choice and they decided to rip him off.

It’s shameful and they will pay dearly for it.

The issue is not about him playing for them next year, not even about loyalty....but about how they treated him. Very unprofessional, unnecessary and unjust.

He missed job opportunities when he didn’t have to because they decided to play the hero dickhead.

No worries mate, I love hearing differing opinions than mine!

I do agree with you that it's a dickhead move, however I think they may have been caught between a rock and a hard place in this instance. If they told him pre GF it could have negatively affected his game, and then the conversation would be "why didn't they wait until after GF". IMO it comes back to the team vs individual.

I can't think of too many first grade sports in the world that are obsessed with club loyalty like NRL are. Look at NFL - players get drafted as a Rookie almost anywhere in the country, get traded at the drop of a hat, etc. The players drive is for the love of the game as a whole and furthering their careers by helping their team win a championship. Apart from Roosters, I feel that NRL are very behind in this regard. We have this weird tribalism where we demand the best players to stay loyal and the shit players to f**k off before they waste our salary cap.

On the flip side of this, the tribalism is what makes our game great so who knows...definitely not me, I'm purely an armchair critic haha

Last edited:
No worries mate, I love hearing differing opinions than mine!

I do agree with you that it's a dickhead move, however I think they may have been caught between a rock and a hard place in this instance. If they told him pre GF it could have negatively affected his game, and then the conversation would be "why didn't they wait until after GF". IMO it comes back to the team vs individual.

I can't think of too many first grade sports in the world that are obsessed with club loyalty like NRL are. Look at NFL - players get drafted as a Rookie almost anywhere in the country, get traded at the drop of a hat, etc. The players drive is for the love of the game as a whole and furthering their careers by helping their team win a championship. Apart from Roosters, I feel that NRL are very behind in this regard. We have this weird tribalism where we demand the best players to stay loyal and the shit players to f**k off before they waste our salary cap.

On the flip side of this, the tribalism is what makes our game great so who knows...definitely not me, I'm purely an armchair critic haha

My learned colleague, it’s nice to consider your points. armchair or bar stool!

Recruitment decisions are unlikely to have been made in the 48 hours after the grand final.

Ivan and co knew weeks or months in advance he was for the gallows!

There is no evidence that he wouldn’t have kept up his 110%. In fact, he’d probably do extras to get noticed by other clubs or be reconsidered over Staines.

We connect with the club because it’s an alignment or focus. More shared experiences, history and skin in the game. Tribalism! I guess some people follow players.

As for the individual argument, as individuals, the panther players now feel disposable. They cant trust what is being said to them. A fresh young thing is ready to replace them, no matter what they do. They have every right to feel unappreciated, lambs to the slaughter. No loyalty, no respect, no caring. Cogs in a machine, de-humanised and devalued.

One of their best friends has been misled and summarily dumped into the garbage bin. A hard worker, a legend, a hero.

The players I’ve met and known, they like security and being well thought of. This is why the tigers players revolutionary army was formed to take on Madge this year. A joke, but it happened.

Ivan and co dogged Mansour good and proper. They can try to justify it, but at the end of the day, it was a miserable, ungracious, inhumane,selfish, stupid callous and needless act. It sucked!

I think that smug is over, killed by the people who created it. Happens a lot in the world!

And the panther people who actually truly support this disgrace without misgivings, in my view, they are not true panther fans. They are mindless facile lemmings. I ask them: what do the panthers stand for these days?!

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Mansour's replacement only re-signed with Penrith on the 6th of October. His name is Charlie Staines.

Many (including myself) thought that Staines would sign elsewhere. I think he was being chased by W/T, Bulldogs, Dragons (and probably many others too) . The club themselves according to sources I know held little hope of him signing. But against the odds he signed.

So it's under a month ago this happened.

Penrith were getting ready for their game against the Roosters. Would it have been better to tell him then, or wait till after the grand final.

Penrith chose to wait until after the grandfinal.

I agree 48 hours later may seem a bit harsh, but I believe the club was attempting to do the right thing by Mansour by letting him know as soon as appropriate.

Yep Sauce is hurting, hurting bad I imagine. The grandfinal loss and then this a very short while later. Many of us fans are hurting about Sauce potentially leaving in 2021 too.

Sauce is 30 years old. an ACL injury a couple of years ago has slowed him down markedy, also his ability to leap and turn quickly.

Staines has speed to burn which he's already showed the NRL.....he is the future.

Silverdale it's the circle of life.

I

WA Tiger

Bench
Going on Ivans recruitment of Robert Jennings, did he even know what he was going to do..Maybe he couldn’t make up his mind and had to toss a coin? ....I mean he stuffed up the selections for the gf

He had a good season by any measure and was selected to play in the ultimate panther side for the grand final.

Staines makes 2 nrl appearances in his whole life, can barely tackle with an efficiency of less than half Mansours, jags a few gift tries against Manly and the giant killing Sharks and old mate is given notice before he’s taken off his grand final jersey.

Even on footy grounds, it doesn’t make sense to let go a solid stock player with a couple of years of life left in him, during a period of thick smug when the panthers have a small window of opportunity before they hit the wretched cap down cycle and the roosters buy half their side.

Mansour was a critical part of that Panther side as much as Jim.

If you are smoking smug at home, you usually try to keep it together.

They probably thought Josh would go quietly. Good old dependable Josh, he won’t be any trouble . The club door mat.

And Josh went home, loaded up his pr gun and sought justice. Wide world of sports, ready to carve into Ivan...oh dear.

They will be a troubled camp in 2021. This is a big blow for morale. The players will be ringing their managers looking for back up clubs.

But if you show disloyalty to players, they wont believe that you won’t be cutting their throats at the first available opportunity.

All their gun players will want extra hard cash or it’s good-bye. And no sentiment, no loyalty. Every man for himself in Ivan world. Except the boy.

Edwards and a handful of others will be petrified. They won’t wait to be mugged in the middle of the night like Josh.

I’d love to sign Josh and set him loose on Staines. It will be ugly. Swap sides and watch him run over the poor kid all day. Nightmare stuff.

Smug is over, replaced by smurf!

Last edited:

Hoofhearted

Juniors
In the Telegraph, JAC has told his manager he want his contract sorted before SOO 3. His manager will meet with the Tigers this week but they are thinking he’s likely to stay at Melbourne. Looks like we’re in for an interesting week.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Going on Ivans recruitment of Robert Jennings, did he even know what he was going to do..Maybe he couldn’t make up his mind and had to toss a coin? ....I mean he stuffed up the selections for the gf

I think with Jennings it was a depth signing at the last chance saloon for him. Now it's up to Jennings to prove that he's something more. Comming through Robert was considered to be the best of the brothers, (I know that's seriously walked off a cliff in the last 2 years). The club showed a photo of Robert yesterday, he turned up and trained with the flegg boys yesterday.....(hopefully this shows an improvement in committment both on and off the field)

Ivan doesn't do the recruitment on his own. It is a committee that includes Brandy Alexander, Matt Cameron, Ivan, up until Barrett was signed for dogs, him too, (where a upon he stood himself down) and a couple of others.....

Like you I didn't agree with the May selection in the grandfinal, I thought Naden was a better option too. .

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
You guys criticising Cleary honestly just let it go. He's made the right decision by keeping Staines & telling Mansour he won't be first choice. If the roles were reversed & Madge had that decision to make at the Tigers I'd be disappointed if he didn't. f**k honestly I think some of guys want the club to be perennial losers so you can whinge.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
depths of dispair..

It will be fascinating to see how this works out.

At this stage he's a depth player, probably came pretty cheap too. I know he wasn't great at your club, in attitude, work ethic or performance.

If Robert can change this around (he does have the talent as shown when playing flegg for Penrith) he will be a great signing and a wonderful move.

If Robert doesn't come up to the mark, no harm done as he came out of the clearance barrell in front of the store.

You guys criticising Cleary honestly just let it go. He's made the right decision by keeping Staines & telling Mansour he won't be first choice. If the roles were reversed & Madge had that decision to make at the Tigers I'd be disappointed if he didn't. f**k honestly I think some of guys want the club to be perennial losers so you can whinge.

Not at all.

Ivan doubled-crossed us and we’ve been suffering ever since.

Every day since he abandoned us, as our staff and players make their way to work, they feel the limp, sweaty and diseased hand of Ivan, caressing our buttocks in unwelcome and uninvited manner.

He’s not trying to pick us up, instead, he’s reaching in to steal another $50 from our back pocket and give it to his flop signings, he dumped us with.

He’s fair game publicly, but of course, not privately.

Last edited:

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I think we need a monthly limit on Ivan-related posting. Time to build a bridge, folks. I'm comfortable that he lost another GF. Let's move on eh.

Seriously, if we had a choice of signing Mansour or Staines of course we'd take the young kid with loads of potential. Sauce had a great year though, and it's a sad part of the business. But he'll have a new home soon enough.

On the Tigers off season front, looks like tumbleweed rolling by yet again.

Posters are free to comment or not.

Tiger Justice is death by a thousand cuts.

He brought great dishonour to our club and hence must be properly shamed.

Nothing personal and I would defend his right to enjoy his private life with my dying breath.

Plus at this time Mansour > Staines.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
Couldn't care less about Ivan Cleary. Constantly churning over old grievances is about as unhealthy as anything you can do...ask the family of a murder victim...guaranteed Ivan Cleary doesn't read anything posted on the panther's forum let alone here...time to take this scratched record off the turntable.

Couldn't care less about Ivan Cleary. Constantly churning over old grievances is about as unhealthy as anything you can do...ask the family of a murder victim...guaranteed Ivan Cleary doesn't read anything posted on the panther's forum let alone here...time to take this scratched record off the turntable.

Ok.

But I reserve the right to post my dodgy captions.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

I really couldn't give a shit.