What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JAC

If JAC only signed a heads of agreement then Pascoe and co are lying to the members. A heads of agreement is non binding.

See below

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...hrome..69i57.990j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Good point but I think there’s other law that says it can be relied upon.

See below:

https://mccabecurwood.com.au/heads-agreement-enforceable/

Having said that, if you want a heads of agreement to be enforceable, you might want to look at the language and circumstances that give rise to that proposition and see if you can bed that down before the victim actually signs it.

At any rate, you can can have a nuclear weapons grade signed contract and then if jac then didn’t want to play with us, it could be trouble.

As soon as I heard of a squabble or some reticence, the longer it dragged on, the less chance he was coming.

$800k is a massive chunk and we can pick up a good junior and a sub elite for that.

But that’s only half the story to ensure good performances. Sgi had a willing squad 2019 and look at what happened.

There are also many other variables:

Front office and official competency
Players mental and physical well being
Injuries
Referee and official decisions
Factors that effect your opponents
Suspensions
Player behaviour
Manager influence
Luck!
Game plans and executions.
A lot more.

Which is why we get the oft-quoted mantra of trying to control the things we can.

Elite players are all good, but on their own some, not enough to deliver.

Once upon a time almost all elite players were stock.

What I like about Melbourne is they build really good players. Pigs ear into silk purses. A great system behind the players, key to their dominance.

In my view, there is no one marquee player solution to our woes. We have to do everything better, stay composed, be good listeners, carefully target and avoid knee jerk decisions. We need to be responsive about the fluid player market. A style and good quality of player over an individual. Avoid the duds.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
The contract I'm more worried about is Madge's. The club has said he agreed to terms, but there hasn't been any official announcement. I'm still concerned he's going to head off to the Storm and we're going to left scrambling to find one again.

The contract I'm more worried about is Madge's. The club has said he agreed to terms, but there hasn't been any official announcement. I'm still concerned he's going to head off to the Storm and we're going to left scrambling to find one again.

I agree. Hopefully we haven’t used the same lawyers as we used for Jac.

I’m Madge all the way, but say in 2019, I was 90% Madge, now I’m down to 75% Madge and next year is the test.

it’s about getting the optimum from players from the coaching machine.

Even if we don’t win, I want most players on song. We can cop loss if we had a go ( ie that enlightened panther game).

Madge has admitted there were failures at times and the whole season was ordinary.

But I like that concession, it’s called leadership. It’s a good start for next year.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Simple fact is the Storm wanted a like for like replacement, and we rightly held onto Noffa. It's a huge risk to then compete for him in the open market, but in 2022 we should have plenty of cash to throw at him to entice him in. If he doesn't come, so be it.

Simple fact is the Storm wanted a like for like replacement, and we rightly held onto Noffa. It's a huge risk to then compete for him in the open market, but in 2022 we should have plenty of cash to throw at him to entice him in. If he doesn't come, so be it.

Nofo is no-go.

But let’s not pretend we are Mr Clean when it comes to these things.

We have our grubby paws in everyone’s business. As it should be.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'd pay it for JAC but mainly because we have Mbye, Packer and Reynolds on that sort of money. JAC is so far ahead of what those 3 it's not funny.

800k and if he makes the fullback spot it could work.

Offering him $800k and then being turned down would be even more embarassing. The Latrell Mitchell show all over again.

Tiger05

First Grade
Offering him $800k and then being turned down would be even more embarassing. The Latrell Mitchell show all over again.

This is the only issue. Maybe it's not a money issue. These guys earn so much and I'm not stating that all Aboriginal players give their money away however I believe there are cultural influences that push Aboriginals to provide money to their relatives. Their relatives can also be extended family.

I never knew this which is ignorant however we completed cultural training at work and one story was about a young Aboriginal man who was giving away all his wage. It's tough to work under those conditions because there is no incentive.

It's pretty bizarre though that some young Aboriginal players appear to have have an affinity for Souths. I understand that Redfern is home to a large amount of Aboriginals but I don't see Souths treating Aboriginal players any better than other clubs.

Anyway we have to be careful engaging JAC and his management team in relation to a contract for 2022. I'm more inclined to think we should state come back to us if you are ready to sign but we will do the deal quickly.

WA Tiger

Bench
Top 8 credentials by then wouldn’t hurt either..

WA Tiger

Bench
Who knows what conditions are attached to that contract ..with Madges record at WT there’s likely a couple..and if so I think Madge wouldn’t be happy but imo he would have limited options..I can’t see Melbourne with their winning culture wanting the news story’s / below average results attached to Madge turning up on their doorstep..Likely an internal only fear generated from a losing WT culture..

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade

There is always someone silly enough to put their hand up for a NRL coaching job. Good players we struggle big time to sign, but coaches are a dime a dozen

Pezz70

Juniors
I agree. Hopefully we haven’t used the same lawyers as we used for Jac.

I’m Madge all the way, but say in 2019, I was 90% Madge, now I’m down to 75% Madge and next year is the test.

it’s about getting the optimum from players from the coaching machine.

Even if we don’t win, I want most players on song. We can cop loss if we had a go ( ie that enlightened panther game).

Madge has admitted there were failures at times and the whole season was ordinary.

But I like that concession, it’s called leadership. It’s a good start for next year.

There’s gonna be very little relief next year, I won’t be judging Maguire on it, top 8 would be a good result suggesting we are going in the right direction but I would say we’re probably 10-15/1 to make the 8 that’s long odds and I’m thinking we may well bottom 3. I think we have a decent enough pack, but our backs outside Nofo would struggle to make most other sides 17

Pezz70

Juniors
Who knows what conditions are attached to that contract ..with Madges record at WT there’s likely a couple..and if so I think Madge wouldn’t be happy but imo he would have limited options..I can’t see Melbourne with their winning culture wanting the news story’s / below average results attached to Madge turning up on their doorstep..Likely an internal only fear generated from a losing WT culture..
Madge would kill it at Melbourne. He’s done pretty good with the duds and shit system he inherited, I think results are still a full season most likely two seasons away. The tigers made some moves in the back of house last year that will yield results eventually. The Tigers really have to get stuck into their junior development, getting the right people out in the field identifying talent. I think we need four or five good former players out in the field, watching kids run around parks, and selecting the rep teams. The prerequisite for their employment should be no junior club affiliation in the west’s system. It has to be independent. It can no longer be my mates son gets a run type deal it needs to be purely on merit and talent. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a widespread practice but it happens, in saying that the cream does generally rise to the top we’ve just got to stop it from being skimmed off. I also think we need a formula where our junior squads are coached as Madge would coach. Same plays, same defence. Half of Madges job should be over sighting the coaches in the tigers junior rep squads, watching their videos and briefing their coaches. Lot of work but strong systems build strong clubs

Last edited:
There’s gonna be very little relief next year, I won’t be judging Maguire on it, top 8 would be a good result suggesting we are going in the right direction but I would say we’re probably 10-15/1 to make the 8 that’s long odds and I’m thinking we may well bottom 3. I think we have a decent enough pack, but our backs outside Nofo would struggle to make most other sides 17

All willing points, hard to argue with, so I won’t even try.

I thought the pack was down a bit last season, but I think Tamou will add a lot of venom and positivity next year. So it should even improve a bit.

If we jag Mansour and Roberts ( which seems to be on the cards) and they sort their shit out ( yes, easier said than done), that’s the start of some genuine potency in the backline. Call it a spark if you want and not a proper electrocution.

In the meantime, we remain entirely f**king friendless in the spine.

Halves are factory issue (as a combo), no proper rake and let’s not talk about fullback.

Madge has to buy or create a spine that doesn’t result in cold shivers.

That’s my honest assessment of the current state of play, but I’m optimistic as we are working overtime on recruitment, cash is coming and there’s a flood of talent hitting the market over the next few years and beyond.

Without some signings that follow through and have a dig, we are absolutely deep in the trouble you suggest, but I’d range us at 9th-12th.

Madge has gone to town with his axe and I don’t have much against his decisions.

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
Josh Addo carr is the best winger in the game but there is a big difference between him and LM. LM was a quality centre which has more skill involved so transferring to fullback especially with ball playing is slightly easier then a winger. This is why origin selectors choose fullbacks to play centre as well other then someone like Nic Cotric. I think if we payed overs again here then we would be screwed when trying to get more talent next year for 2022. Lets see how things play out.

If Cam Smith retires then we will see if the Storm are still as good. If he doesnt lets focus on Harry Grant.

The dogs offloaded heaps of players for the last few years and used juniors who yes struggled but now have cash to splash and can target multiple signings.

We may not like Penrith but they recruit guys like Luke Capewell and then keep juniors we need to do this. We produce talent in lower grades next time we have a Brooks, Moses, Woods and Tedasco we need to give them contracts that dont allow all of them to come of contract at the same time.

Last edited:
Madge would kill it at Melbourne. He’s done pretty good with the duds and shit system he inherited, I think results are still a full season most likely two seasons away. The tigers made some moves in the back of house last year that will yield results eventually. The Tigers really have to get stuck into their junior development, getting the right people out in the field identifying talent. I think we need four or five good former players out in the field, watching kids run around parks, and selecting the rep teams. The prerequisite for their employment should be no junior club affiliation in the west’s system. It has to be independent. It can no longer be my mates son gets a run type deal it needs to be purely on merit and talent. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a widespread practice but it happens, in saying that the cream does generally rise to the top we’ve just got to stop it from being skimmed off. I also think we need a formula where our junior squads are coached as Madge would coach. Same plays, same defence. Half of Madges job should be over sighting the coaches in the tigers junior rep squads, watching their videos and briefing their coaches. Lot of work but strong systems build strong clubs

A whole lot of wisdom here, thanks.

WA Tiger

Bench
WT recruitment/ and likely management are hedging their bets with JAC..They are saying maybe you will be able to convert to fullback and maybe you won’t...the result is a watered down contract dollar and the inevitable No result. Id like to see someone decide yes or no with what they’ve seen and know and go with that and deal with the consequences... It’s not like you can lose big coz then at least we’ve got him...Unfortunately with multiple hands in that recruitment pie and with the weak kneed “better safe than sorry” philosophy that’s not going to happen and we get the same result as always that didn’t have to be