What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Great teams perform under massive pressure on multiple occasions per year for multiple years - as do great players. You know that.

I stand 100% behind my submission that the 2020 Panthers were one on the greatest squads of all time.

The odds against them winning all those games in a row were astronomical and defied the known ways of the game.

We shan’t see another squad like them in our lifetimes.

As unpleasant as it is, facts are facts, due is due, real knows real.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Fittler is arrogant picking so many players out of position. Lucky to be playing rebuilding and weak qld teams the last 2 years. This time he was up against an actual coach. And since my loyalty is to Tigers f**k all of them anyway.

NSW former dominance was all thanks to Sirro, Tim Brasher and Elias. And now Qld thanks to Tiger Grant.
.....also the immense contribution of Blocker & Jimmy Jack.How the fk some absent minded boofheads have left blocker out of the greatest nsw origin team beggars belief

Tiger Ted

Bench
I stand 100% behind my submission that the 2020 Panthers were one on the greatest squads of all time.

The odds against them winning all those games in a row were astronomical and defied the known ways of the game.

U r kidding.They had the softest of draws in contrast to the horrendous one we were given when comp was rebooted.They were also blessed by the injury gods.They had fk all injuries throughout the season & It’s inconceivable that at the business end of comp a team would have all 30 squad members fit like they did.

U r kidding.They had the softest of draws in contrast to the horrendous one we were given when comp was rebooted.They were also blessed by the injury gods.They had fk all injuries throughout the season & It’s inconceivable that at the business end of comp a team would have all 30 squad members fit like they did.

In the whole scheme of the world, all clubs are at risk of injury, they faced the same dangers as other clubs. They all had co vid challenges. They had their injuries

Young chinster was suspended, kiks as well, they overcame that.

It’s curious to me that people are denying them their day in the sun, or at least the shade.

WA Tiger

Bench

As long as u arn’t just brown nosing the panther fans to make up for your recent Blitzkreig’s on their site..Even they would know not to throw the “great” word around to describe a 1 year tenure for a record run esp when they didn’t win the gf during that year where the real pressure was ...And there are no excuses ifs or buts in the “great”equation..

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
I'd hate to be your partner. Only thing important is the end.!

Leading a competition of 16 teams over 20 games won us a shield and $100k but we suck because we lost a Grand Final. It hurts but I am so proud of that group.
Didn’t say you sucked. You were great.
Do you think this was the best squad ever? That’s the argument.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
1605756164229-a6f186e1-77a4-40e4-a33c-182743063ff4.jpeg

Black Magik

Juniors
Didn’t say you sucked. You were great.
Do you think this was the best squad ever? That’s the argument.
Absolutely not! I had us finishing outside the eight at the start of the season. As the season unfolded I dared to dream of another 2003.

I hope they replicate 2020 year on year but as an old Panthers fan I know that won't happen. We can't keep teams together for more than 2 seasons unfortunately.

stryker

First Grade
I'd hate to be your partner. Only thing important is the end.!

Leading a competition of 16 teams over 20 games won us a shield and $100k but we suck because we lost a Grand Final. It hurts but I am so proud of that group.
Also, if this team fails to convert its regular season efforts into a premiership title, they will fade into obscurity as so many other flashes in the pan who didn’t live up to their promise have done. Hopefully they learnt some lessons but judging the Cleary origin experience of 2020 that seems unlikely at present.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...s-as-sharks-circle-benji-20201119-p56g5t.html

Wests Tigers sign James Roberts as Sharks circle Benji
By Adrian Proszenko
November 19, 2020 — 3.50pm

‘Jimmy the Jet’ has landed at Concord.

The Wests Tigers have signed James Roberts as Cronulla looms as the most likely destination for favourite son Benji Marshall should the veteran playmaker opt to postpone retirement.

The Tigers have completed a contract with Roberts for next season after he was granted a release from South Sydney for personal reasons. The Herald revealed last week that Tigers officials were in negotiations with the former NSW centre after obtaining pictures of a secret meeting at a Concord cafe.

After speaking with Roberts, club powerbrokers were convinced the 2015 Dally M centre of the year still has quality football ahead of him. There was interest from several other clubs in the 27-year-old, but Tigers coach Michael Maguire is now tasked with getting the best out of one of the fastest players in the competition. Maguire was keen to add more speed to his back line after missing out on the signature of Josh Addo-Carr, who will remain in Melbourne after the premiers opted not to release him before his contract expired. The Tigers remain in the hunt for his signature from 2022.

It may not be the club’s only addition to their back line. Panthers fullback Dane Laurie is close to agreeing to terms on a two-year deal from 2022, although the Tigers remain hopeful Penrith may grant him an immediate release. If that occurs, he will be in the mix to wear the No.1 jersey as soon as next year.

The player market is finally heating up as teams prepare to return to pre-season, even though the NRL has yet to land on a salary-cap figure for next year. A raft of signings are likely to be confirmed in coming days, including Parramatta’s purchase of Bryce Cartwright.

However, there are other trades being worked on in the background which could have significant implications for next season.

Marshall is perhaps the highest-profile player yet to find a home for 2021 after the Tigers opted not to renew his contract. The former Golden Boot recipient knocked back an approach from the Cowboys, but is still hopeful of picking up a club.

His best chance of doing so appears to be Cronulla. The Shire outfit is expecting to be without Shaun Johnson for the opening two months of the season after the Kiwis half ruptured his Achilles tendon in the penultimate match of the regular season. Matt Moylan, who the Sharks have unsuccessfully attempted to move on from the final year of his deal, is one of the contenders to fill the void alongside Connor Tracey and Braydon Trindall. The latter is poised to be re-signed after making his debut this year.

However, Marshall could provide much-needed experience to John Morris, who is fighting for his own future at the club. Marshall, who has a good relationship with Cronulla football manager Darren Mooney from their time at the Tigers, is weighing up whether to play on or retire.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...s-as-sharks-circle-benji-20201119-p56g5t.html

Wests Tigers sign James Roberts as Sharks circle Benji
By Adrian Proszenko
November 19, 2020 — 3.50pm

‘Jimmy the Jet’ has landed at Concord.

The Wests Tigers have signed James Roberts as Cronulla looms as the most likely destination for favourite son Benji Marshall should the veteran playmaker opt to postpone retirement.

The Tigers have completed a contract with Roberts for next season after he was granted a release from South Sydney for personal reasons. The Herald revealed last week that Tigers officials were in negotiations with the former NSW centre after obtaining pictures of a secret meeting at a Concord cafe.

After speaking with Roberts, club powerbrokers were convinced the 2015 Dally M centre of the year still has quality football ahead of him. There was interest from several other clubs in the 27-year-old, but Tigers coach Michael Maguire is now tasked with getting the best out of one of the fastest players in the competition. Maguire was keen to add more speed to his back line after missing out on the signature of Josh Addo-Carr, who will remain in Melbourne after the premiers opted not to release him before his contract expired. The Tigers remain in the hunt for his signature from 2022.

It may not be the club’s only addition to their back line. Panthers fullback Dane Laurie is close to agreeing to terms on a two-year deal from 2022, although the Tigers remain hopeful Penrith may grant him an immediate release. If that occurs, he will be in the mix to wear the No.1 jersey as soon as next year.

The player market is finally heating up as teams prepare to return to pre-season, even though the NRL has yet to land on a salary-cap figure for next year. A raft of signings are likely to be confirmed in coming days, including Parramatta’s purchase of Bryce Cartwright.

However, there are other trades being worked on in the background which could have significant implications for next season.

Marshall is perhaps the highest-profile player yet to find a home for 2021 after the Tigers opted not to renew his contract. The former Golden Boot recipient knocked back an approach from the Cowboys, but is still hopeful of picking up a club.

His best chance of doing so appears to be Cronulla. The Shire outfit is expecting to be without Shaun Johnson for the opening two months of the season after the Kiwis half ruptured his Achilles tendon in the penultimate match of the regular season. Matt Moylan, who the Sharks have unsuccessfully attempted to move on from the final year of his deal, is one of the contenders to fill the void alongside Connor Tracey and Braydon Trindall. The latter is poised to be re-signed after making his debut this year.

However, Marshall could provide much-needed experience to John Morris, who is fighting for his own future at the club. Marshall, who has a good relationship with Cronulla football manager Darren Mooney from their time at the Tigers, is weighing up whether to play on or retire.
I would like to think the club knows what they are doing, so onward and upwards.

Roberts is a f**king gun strike back.

At last we have a threat out there.

Player welfare checks on our ceo are paying off.

I think we will fold to Mansour, he has some go ffs.

Vozzy

Juniors
Atleast its only 2 years but James Roberts was one of the players which made it easier to hate teams like broncos and souffs. Now i have to support him. We seem to atleast have competition for spots wing/centre but no out and out fullback. Roberts hanging around the ruck for offloads could be used like Pap.

Perth Tiger

Bench
wonder how much we are paying him, which will determine whether this is a good signing or not. He 'gave up' a lot of money seeking a release from Souths