What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

getsmarty

Immortal
mudgee-1852001rc.jpg

CLUB NEWS

2021 Charity Shield date confirmed
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 20 Nov 2020, 11:55 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs will make their much anticipated return to Mudgee for the Charity Shield on Saturday, February 27.

This will be the fourth year Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium has proudly played host to the annual pre-season game as part of a four-year partnership between Mid-Western Regional Council, the Dragons and Rabbitohs.

Tickets for the 2021 Charity Shield will go on sale next month and fans are encouraged to get in quickly as numbers will be limited due to physical distancing measures set for major events.

Mayor of the Mid-Western Region Des Kennedy said the well-attended game is always highly anticipated locally and regionally, and he was excited to welcome the clubs back for a fourth year.

"The Charity Shield is an opportunity for fans to experience the atmosphere of an NRL game and see their heroes in the flesh, all against the backdrop of our premier stadium," Councillor Kennedy said.

"This partnership has been a huge success for our region, from a social and recreational standpoint as well as economically, and I’d like to thank the clubs for their ongoing commitment to bringing the game to Mudgee."

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb said: "The Charity Shield has been the crown jewel of the rugby league pre-season schedule for 38 years, and we are delighted to have Mudgee play host yet again.

"The Central West of New South Wales has long been a stronghold of support for St George Illawarra. We are not only excited to play and raise money for a number of important causes, but look forward to doing so while engaging with our Red V members and fans throughout the local community."

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly said: "Everyone at the Rabbitohs is looking forward to returning to Mudgee in February and reconnecting with our Members and supporters in Central West New South Wales.

"We think it's important that NRL Clubs give back to the regional areas that produce so many great players for our game, and the Charity Shield is a great opportunity for us to do just that, as well as raise money and awareness for the wonderful programs run by Souths Cares."

Tickets for the 2021 Charity Shield will go on sale in December.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/20/2021-charity-shield-date-confirmed/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Can’t wait to win this game for a change
But it is only a trial :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:but a least the McGrexit games are over
I’ve always looked forward to it. Mostly because I like to see how any new recruits go. Even in the Mary days. After a long off season it’s always good to see the first semi competitive NRL game of the year too being that it is televised.

Dragon David

First Grade
Can’t wait to win this game for a change
But it is only a trial :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:but a least the McGrexit games are over
Yes, it would be good for a change for us to win the Shield. So far, no wins at Glen Willow and the last time we won was in 2012 with Steve Price as our coach. We won it with Bennett in 2011 and had a draw with him in 2010.

It is always great when this game comes around because you know that just around the corner the NRL comp starts which I am looking forward to for next year.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes, it would be good for a change for us to win the Shield. So far, no wins at Glen Willow and the last time we won was in 2012 with Steve Price as our coach. We won it with Bennett in 2011 and had a draw with him in 2010.

It is always great when this game comes around because you know that just around the corner the NRL comp starts which I am looking forward to for next year.
We did beat Canberra up there in a NRL game In 2018

This Year?

Immortal
To be honest this is nothing more than a trial game, years ago it was played in Sydney or the Gong and we got great crowds, there was hype and it meant something. But now nobody takes it seriously anymore.
Could say that about many games now.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Especially origin... although the media do their best to keep replaying and highlighting the past

It’s just the game is not played the same fire and the days of everyone at the pub yelling and really getting into the blues seems to have died
You haven’t watched a game in Queanbeyan then. It’s still well and truly alive there. I think just in general league is a dying sport. A lot of the young guys I work with below say 25 don’t even watch NRL anymore they seem to watch American sports or Soccer. The older guys don’t have the fire in the belly anymore. Guys my age mid 30s still get into it though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To be honest this is nothing more than a trial game, years ago it was played in Sydney or the Gong and we got great crowds, there was hype and it meant something. But now nobody takes it seriously anymore.
The people of Mudgee do.

Granted, we're spoilt for choice in Sydney, but that's probably why the game has been moved to an audience that is more deserving.

This will be my third time to Mudgee in three years. The tickets always sell out fast - which kind of brings things into perspective.

Edit: I just checked https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_Shield_(NRL) and we played once in Wollongong in 2014 and that was when the crowds dropped off.

I recall now a story about it being moved to WIN to appease Bruce Gordon, this was during the diabolocal Right Game Right Venue 'strategy'. The CS was moved back to the SFS the next year but the crowd size never quite returned to the pre-2014 levels

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The people of Mudgee do.

Granted, we're spoilt for choice in Sydney, but that's probably why the game has been moved to an audience that is more deserving.

This will be my third time to Mudgee in three years. The tickets always sell out fast - which kind of brings things into perspective .
What kind of cash do you stump up for the stadium naming rights btw?

If it’s commercial in confidence, that’s okay..

BLM01

First Grade
You haven’t watched a game in Queanbeyan then. It’s still well and truly alive there. I think just in general league is a dying sport. A lot of the young guys I work with below say 25 don’t even watch NRL anymore they seem to watch American sports or Soccer. The older guys don’t have the fire in the belly anymore. Guys my age mid 30s still get into it though.
If you are in your mid 30's then I guarantee you were not around to see the fire in the pubs back in the 80's and 90's that I am talking about because the game was much less sanitised then
and Yes more people (per population) watched NRL then... before it became full time professional and it became about just an and elite level TV entertainment product and throwing monet at it...which put a lot of loyal rugby league followers in my era off..(I am mid 50's) .that lived and breathed it like no other before a lot of your generation starting embracing as you say all the overseas stuff like the American sports and the brotherhood way of life etc which meant they had many other nd not the same level of interest or respect for the game, tribalism culture and its past.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you are in your mid 30's then I guarantee you were not around to see the fire in the pubs back in the 80's and 90's that I am talking about because the game was much less sanitised then
and Yes more people watched NRL then... before it became full time professional and PM's got really involved and put a lot of loyal rugby league followers in my era off..(I am mid 50's) .that lived and breathed it like no other before a lot of your generation starting embracing as you say all the overseas stuff like the American sports and the brotherhood way of life etc
Careful there BLM, you don't want get into a scrap with a 30-something. They're here to save the world. ;)

I went to a CS game at Redfern, it was a great event, and in those days we always won it. So was it important? Hell yeah.

Back then, it was recognised as the unofficial start to the football season. Still was for a long while afterwards too.

BLM01

First Grade
Careful there BLM, you don't want get into a scrap with a 30-something. They're here to save the world. ;)

I went to a CS game at Redfern, it was a great event, and in those days we always won it. So was it important? Hell yeah.

Back then, it was recognised as the unofficial start to the football season. Still was for a long while afterwards too.
Yes i was trying to be as diplomatic as possible...and you are right that still usually ends up in a scrap somehow now matter how hard you try....walking on egg shells and that :oops::)

Latest posts