What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Mario chalmers

Juniors
It really is amazing what you can do when you don't have overpaid plodders eating up majority of your salary cap. Don't get me wrong - Bulldogs have some plodders of the highest order, but as far as I'm aware they have no big contracts on their books.

Burton was always going to Bulldogs. It fits the narrative - strong relationship with Barrett from time at Penrith, won't break the bank as he is still a rookie, Bulldogs desperately need an organizing half, Belmore is like 45 mins drive from Penrith....it all fits.

I'm not convinced that JAC wants to go to Bulldogs. I think his heart is still in coming to Tigers, but given he is now stuck at Storm for another year the chips are all in his favour. He doesn't have to rush, and can court as many clubs as he pleases to drive his value for 2022 up. I honestly don't blame him at all, but it will be a massive blow to our already frail reputation if he signs at a lower team like Bulldogs over us

I think JAC's manager was only ever using WT to drive up his value. We need to shop elsewhere. JAC is an outstanding player. We should never have let him go in the first place. He could turn into a great fullback but it is not a guarantee and a club that hasnt made the finals in 10 years can't risk paying fullback money for a winger.

I would personally re-visit the Jason Saab enquiry which I think we made last year. I would be prepared to offer up a Seyfarth or a Chee Kam if Saints want a forward as is rumoured to be the case. It's not cut and dry that Saab is going to Manly now as they have apparently signed Christian Tuipulotu from the Roosters.

Choiboi

Juniors
Nothing to brag about

brown gave him a b***h slap so the dirty dog blore did a crusher tackle on him and gave away a penalty

a tough coach like Bennett ,Bellamy or Arthur would of gave him a couple of weeks in reserve grade for that cheap dirty crap

Lol at crusher. You are 'special' mate, he was milking a penalty

I've never seen a 'hurt' player get up so quickly after he got a penalty

WA Tiger

Bench
Nothing to brag about

brown gave him a b***h slap so the dirty dog blore did a crusher tackle on him and gave away a penalty

a tough coach like Bennett ,Bellamy or Arthur would of gave him a couple of weeks in reserve grade for that cheap dirty crap
Ok so I have overestimated your league knowledge

Last edited:
Under 'other stuff'.

After reading this:
Brett Hodgson will leave Wests Tigers to take up the head coaching job with Super League club Hull FC.

Hodgson, who was a member of the Tigers' 2005 premiership-winning team, will reunite with former teammate Gareth Ellis, who is moving into an assistant’s role after hanging up his boots at 39.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/26/hodgson-leaves-tigers-to-coach-hull-fc-demanding-success/

How good would it be if the Tiger management got straight on the front foot and signed an agreement with Hull FC. Loan deals, player transfers etc. Something where both clubs benefit, Tigers and Magpies have seen some great poms over the years, plenty of former NRL players still head off to the UK as well.

Having Hodgson & Ellis involved from the UK side would surely help.

Under 'other stuff'.

After reading this:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/26/hodgson-leaves-tigers-to-coach-hull-fc-demanding-success/

How good would it be if the Tiger management got straight on the front foot and signed an agreement with Hull FC. Loan deals, player transfers etc. Something where both clubs benefit, Tigers and Magpies have seen some great poms over the years, plenty of former NRL players still head off to the UK as well.

Having Hodgson & Ellis involved from the UK side would surely help.

All the best to the bloke, I know he’s a club legend but if he as aspirations to be an NRL coach then he has to take this opportunity.

I agree about swap deals though, our way forward (much like the Raiders 5 years back) could well be signing English players who want to test themselves over here (since we struggle in the player market). This could be an ideal starting point.

Tigerm

First Grade
The POM has advised that Joe O is about to be released from Broncos and will sign with us. Great news if true.
Also mentioned no swap deal (only cash) being looked at for JA, a real shame if true.

WA Tiger

Bench
The POM has advised that Joe O is about to be released from Broncos and will sign with us. Great news if true.
Also mentioned no swap deal (only cash) being looked at for JA, a real shame if true.
According to the Australian too ..that’s positive progress

Hoofhearted

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/610f375edbf23836ba219abf445286e3

NRL news: Wests Tigers sign Joe Ofahengaue, set to release Josh Aloiai
Wests Tigers may have finally resolved the saga with rebel forward Josh Aloiai, after securing a former State of Origin enforcer.

Michael Carayannis, Fatima Kdouh
November 26, 2020 - 3:18PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom4 comments

FOXSPORTS1:10
Tamou should be named Tigers captain
NRL: Wests Tigers legend Ben Elias believes the club should appoint James Tamou as captain for the 2021 season.

Joe Ofahengaue’s move to the Wests Tigers is imminent with the Maroons forward expected to join the club on a multi-year deal.

The signing will end the saga surrounding Josh Aloiai at the club and allow the prop an immediate release to join Manly before his return to pre-season training on Monday. It is understood the Tigers, Broncos and Ofahengaue have agreed on the move with just the final paperwork to be signed off. That could happen as early as Thursday afternoon.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

4105084205c791152a7dc9ce10521cda

Joe Ofahengaue’s arrival at Wests should signal the end of the Josh Aloiai saga. Picture: Getty Images.
The deal is expected to be for three seasons with the Broncos contributing six figures in the first two years to ensure the deal was agreed upon. Ofahengaue still had two years left on his Broncos contract but was free to negotiate with rivals. The Dragons expressed an interest in the 25-year-old but withdrew their offer last week.

c6d815d12f857588527430f9dd291836

The signing should also allow Tigers to release Josh Aloiai after his public falling out with the club. Picture: AAP.
Ofahengaue is another positive signing for the Tigers joining the likes of James Roberts, James Tamou and Stefano Utoikamanu at the club next season. They also re-signed emerging back-rower Shawn Blore and secured Penrith fullback Daine Laurie from 2022.

Alolai will now be free to link up with the Sea Eagles on a three year deal as a replacement for Addin Fonua-Blake.

The Sea Eagles have also expressed an interest in Tigers back-rower Luke Garner.

0b2a18fc392c50f234f9d1d0c692a2d1

Joe Ofahengaue still had two years remaining on his Broncos contract but was given permission to negotiate with rival. Picture: Annette Dew.

Tiger05

First Grade
That article on us signing JO makes no sense. It sounds like we are just releasing Aloiai for nothing.

Tigerm

First Grade
That article on us signing JO makes no sense. It sounds like we are just releasing Aloiai for nothing.
We would be releasing him for his salary (21 season - $350k) only which is poor in my opinion, but hopefully they have another player lined up, we are still chasing 2 spots (if Joe O signs), Seyfarth has resigned, so one more now (With JA $’s) and one more later (?)

Choiboi

Juniors
I hope they don't release JA and stick him in Reggies to make an example of him. Otherwise we will never get out of this funk....

So sick of getting f**ked over. I don't care if it stuffs our cap for a year, 2022 is where it is at anyway

Grow some balls Pascoe!!!!!

Cleary, Moses, Matterson and Aloiai. f**k me dead

Tigerm

First Grade
We would be releasing him for his salary (21 season - $350k) only which is poor in my opinion, but hopefully they have another player lined up, we are still chasing 2 spots (if Joe O signs), Seyfarth has resigned, so one more now (With JA $’s) and one more later (?)
The Pom has just said that Aloiai money was for covered Joe O costs and that they are currently negotiating with Manly swap Garner for Sironen

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Some good news followed by some not so good news

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/e8e4af1c762f486a75a3045ce1a2f75b

Sports Confidential: Has Josh Addo-Carr just dropped the biggest hint on his NRL future? Or is one of the biggest jokers in rugby league just teasing?

Michael Carayannis
November 26, 2020 - 5:18PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom0 comments

Wests Tigers player of the year David Nofoaluma may have to consider putting himself onto the open market after receiving a contract offer from the club this week.

Nofoaluma has made it clear his first preference is to remain at the Tigers but the 26-year-old concedes he will now open himself up to speak with rival clubs.

“I obviously love the Wests Tigers and the fans, you can tell by my passion.” Nofoaluma said. “But in reality, I am heading into what could potentially be my last contract.

“I am going to explore all my options and weigh up what’s the best decision for myself and more importantly my future. I know with whatever decision I make, I can say I’ve given one hundred per cent every time I have stepped foot on the field for this club.”

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

9b7a8c65592d34f28ec748b1270802c8

David Nofoaluma may end up on the open market after receiving a contract offer from the Tigers this week. Picture: Getty Images.
Nofoaluma is coming off the best season of his career. Most pundits thought he was unlucky to miss out on the NSW Origin squad and he was easily the Tigers most consistent player scoring 17 tries in 20 games. Nofoaluma is officially a free agent with his current deal expiring at the end of next year. The Tigers tabled a three year deal to him this week

The Campbelltown product has been a rare shining light for the Tigers and is one of the club’s favoured sons given the recent departures of Robbie Farah, Chris Lawrence and Benji Marshall.

“There is no rush but I have my manager (Sam Ayoub) taking care of everything.” Nofoaluma said. “It would be extremely tough to leave but at the moment I have one more year remaining on my current contract and I will respect that. I’m back at training next week. I’ve really missed it and so I’m looking forward to ripping back into it with the boys and doing what I love.

“My contract situation will look after itself.”

Barring injury Nofoaluma should become the greatest Wests Tigers tryscorer next year. He sits 10 short of Marshall and Lawrence having scored 74 tries from 139 matches.

The potential loss of Nofoaluma would be a cruel blow to the Tigers given the public fallout between the club and prop Josh Alolai who is still inching towards a move to Manly.

Tiger05

First Grade
The Pom has just said that Aloiai money was for covered Joe O costs and that they are currently negotiating with Manly swap Garner for Sironen

It's just saving us the money he was on which means no benefit to us. I'll live with it but the past couple of seasons two of our best forwards have had career best seasons and left as soon as they were offered more money.

If they give us Curtis Sironen that would be fine by me.

I love Nofo and I hope we keep him but we shouldn't get into a bidding war for him. Offer him a good contract and if he goes so be it.

WA Tiger

Bench
Some good news followed by some not so good news

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/e8e4af1c762f486a75a3045ce1a2f75b

Sports Confidential: Has Josh Addo-Carr just dropped the biggest hint on his NRL future? Or is one of the biggest jokers in rugby league just teasing?

Michael Carayannis
November 26, 2020 - 5:18PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom0 comments

Wests Tigers player of the year David Nofoaluma may have to consider putting himself onto the open market after receiving a contract offer from the club this week.

Nofoaluma has made it clear his first preference is to remain at the Tigers but the 26-year-old concedes he will now open himself up to speak with rival clubs.

“I obviously love the Wests Tigers and the fans, you can tell by my passion.” Nofoaluma said. “But in reality, I am heading into what could potentially be my last contract.

“I am going to explore all my options and weigh up what’s the best decision for myself and more importantly my future. I know with whatever decision I make, I can say I’ve given one hundred per cent every time I have stepped foot on the field for this club.”

9b7a8c65592d34f28ec748b1270802c8

David Nofoaluma may end up on the open market after receiving a contract offer from the Tigers this week. Picture: Getty Images.
Nofoaluma is coming off the best season of his career. Most pundits thought he was unlucky to miss out on the NSW Origin squad and he was easily the Tigers most consistent player scoring 17 tries in 20 games. Nofoaluma is officially a free agent with his current deal expiring at the end of next year. The Tigers tabled a three year deal to him this week

The Campbelltown product has been a rare shining light for the Tigers and is one of the club’s favoured sons given the recent departures of Robbie Farah, Chris Lawrence and Benji Marshall.

“There is no rush but I have my manager (Sam Ayoub) taking care of everything.” Nofoaluma said. “It would be extremely tough to leave but at the moment I have one more year remaining on my current contract and I will respect that. I’m back at training next week. I’ve really missed it and so I’m looking forward to ripping back into it with the boys and doing what I love.

“My contract situation will look after itself.”

Barring injury Nofoaluma should become the greatest Wests Tigers tryscorer next year. He sits 10 short of Marshall and Lawrence having scored 74 tries from 139 matches.

The potential loss of Nofoaluma would be a cruel blow to the Tigers given the public fallout between the club and prop Josh Alolai who is still inching towards a move to Manly.
This should not come as a surprise ..WT is not currently an attractive proposition for top players. We were outside the 8 last year ...The goals of the club are simple ...(1) top 8 top 6 then top 4 ; as a result of (2) clever buying of players to help us get there ..starting with spine players or at least 3/4 spine players (3) enough big and mobile forwards to get us moving forward and (4) a coach that inspires good results and news articles without fail ..(5) not taking our eye off the ball because we are hell bent / bitter and twisted on not repeating past mistakes...
(6)Great players in the team inspire the team...Find one and get one however it’s done...Maybe 2...preferably to fill a spine position...and if one says they want to come here don’t fk it up..
Nofo may have to be one of those 2 and be paid accordingly ...We lost one great that wanted to be here let’s not blow a second ...

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't understand why people think we are getting screwed over in this Ofa deal. Yes, it would look a lot better to force Aloai to play reserves, but Ofa is a much better player than Aloai so if it means we can take that and get some cash from Manly then overall it's a good outcome. Matterson left a bitter taste in our mouths because we didn't receive a like for like replacement. E.g. Luciano would have signed with us anyway, BJ and AD aren't the same level as Matterson etc.

If we can also release Garner and get Sironen in return, overall it will be a win.

Ofa + Sironen > Aloai + Garner

Latest posts