What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloiai gone?

Shredder

Juniors
Agree, but I dont think you guys are going to release him. I suspect if that was even a remote possibility we would have waited for that to be confirmed before we made the announcement.

If you can get Laurie early, with a full off season training with your squad your fullback problem could be solved. I wouldn't have an issue with us releasing him, the Dogs on the other hand can go f**k themselves if they think Burton leaves early.

It'd be nice, but there's no value in Penrith letting him go and I guess that is fair enough.

We have a bit more balance in the backline with Roberts arriving and I think Doueihi can be a very serviceable 5/8.

If we trade out Garner for Sirro that would be a good outcome as well. Sirro found his feet at Manly, and I don't think Madge will allow him to take a backward step. I do like Garner but I think he was found wanting in defence this year and it was compounded that he was often lined up with other defensive juggernauts like Benji, BJ & Nofoaluma.

soc123_au

Staff member
It'd be nice, but there's no value in Penrith letting him go and I guess that is fair enough.
He would be handy depth for us no doubt. I'm speculating here, but his last contract would have been under Gus who was a big advocate of paying the kids overs. Laurie has been earmarked as a potential gun for a number of years now, so I assume he is on above the minimum. Not huge by any means, but probably 50k above. With the drama we are having getting the Critta & Lenui deals over the line an extra 50k could be very handy for us on the cap. Release Dane & replace him in the squad with one of the next batch on the minimum.

The same of course would apply to Burton, but he is more valuable kept to cover injury & when Cleary is off walking barefoot through the garden with Freddy.

He would be handy depth for us no doubt. I'm speculating here, but his last contract would have been under Gus who was a big advocate of paying the kids overs. Laurie has been earmarked as a potential gun for a number of years now, so I assume he is on above the minimum. Not huge by any means, but probably 50k above. With the drama we are having getting the Critta & Lenui deals over the line an extra 50k could be very handy for us on the cap. Release Dane & replace him in the squad with one of the next batch on the minimum.

The same of course would apply to Burton, but he is more valuable kept to cover injury & when Cleary is off walking barefoot through the garden with Freddy.

By all accounts he is a very talented kid. I can understand why Penrith would hold onto him when he doesn't take a top 30 spot and could potentially play for you later in 2021 if injuries hit. Makes zero sense to release him.

Rhyno

First Grade
Penrith shouldn’t release Laurie unless they get something out of it
Especially since the tigers are holding Aloiai hostage

#FreeJosh

Vic Mackey

Referee

He is on a development contract which is a standard $80k for 2021 so unless Penrith want to promote another Jnr to take his spot then there is zero salary cap benefit to them in releasing him. If you need some relief you’d release Burton as he’s top 30.

I also have no issues with Penrith keeping him for next year as he is under contract

soc123_au

Staff member
He is on a development contract which is a standard $80k for 2021 so unless Penrith want to promote another Jnr to take his spot then there is zero salary cap benefit to them in releasing him. If you need some relief you’d release Burton as he’s top 30.

I also have no issues with Penrith keeping him for next year as he is under contract

I thought he had been upgraded into our top 30. If it's the development contract then yeah, absolutely no gain for us letting him go early. I had hoped we would keep him over Staines tbh. Both have big futures I think, but Laurie just has a bit more X factor imo.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't think Aloai is going to get any better than he already is. I really like him as a player, and wish we could keep him, but Ofahenguae has WAY more potential. At his best he is an Origin player, and for all Madge's faults, he can get the best out of his front rowers.

Sironen was pretty shit in back row at Tigers but so was everyone playing under Taylor (apart from Teddy - who is just a fkn freak). He's really come on playing under Hasler, who has a similar style to Madge in the way he drills the players and takes zero shit. I'm confident Madge can get the best out of Sironen, and our S&C department have really done well keeping our players on the paddock in recent years. Whether he has more upside potential than Garner remains to be seen. He was absolutely killing it on the left hand side with Brooks but then was moved to right side where his form dropped off considerably.

Aloai and Garner for Sironen and Ofanhenguae is a good deal, but the chips are in our favour. I'd like the club to use our position to get more out of it

Fordy20

Juniors

I got the feeling that the Panthers might have made Laurie's early release contingent on us taking Mansour off their hands, which I doubt will happen with Josh holding out for a three year deal.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Real shame to lose him, sad the way things ended, he’s been a great servant to the club for the past 5 years

Real shame to lose him, sad the way things ended, he’s been a great servant to the club for the past 5 years

He had a consistent year last year too, was our best prop by a long way.

Says a lot though when a 32 year old forward coming in out performed him still though.