What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks moving to Kogarah

Eion

First Grade
Jubilee is in a Labor seat for both the Feds and State. Maybe there is a vote grab going on?? who knows, and here I am talking of the one thing I hate talking about hahaha.
I'm banning myself to the Qantas thread.
Haha, everyone gets dragged back in!

One thing is for sure, you get less favours from both sides of government if you’re in a safe seat.

It looks like the NRL are seeing the light a little bit and putting Jubilee at the bottom of the pile due to the lack of games that would be played there.
Well played so far by our board and Dino. The longer it drags out gives us more of a chance of funding.
In Bold

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys emerged from a meeting with state government powerbrokers — including NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian — on Wednesday afternoon confident that the game could be only weeks away from resolving its stadium issues.

V’landys has been campaigning to have the $800 million that was designated to the overhaul of ANZ Stadium redirected to suburban grounds. He may get his wish in as little as a fortnight, V’landys optimistic that the government will honour their commitment to significantly upgrade the likes of Brookvale Oval and Penrith Stadium.

“It was a positive meeting,” V’landys said.

“We have agreed on a way forward and we will announce it once we finalise it.”

V’landys had been bullish earlier in the day when he fronted the media to announce plans to take games to regional venues next season. He could afford to be. He has a trump card in his back pocket in the shape of the NRL grand final. The NRL’s commitment to keep the grand final in Sydney was contingent on the state government spending money at ANZ Stadium.

When that deal fell through, the NRL demanded the money be redirected to upgrading some of the city’s tired venues. Brookvale and Penrith were at the top of the lost.

The government is also open to a stadium in Liverpool and a revamp of Kogarah Oval. The NRL’s preference would be to leave Kogarah to last given none of their clubs have shown any desire to base themselves permanently out of the venue.

Cronulla are intent on staying at Shark Park while St George Illawarra split their home games between Kogarah and WIN Stadium. The sense is that Kogarah is likely to be left to last, if it is done at all.

Brookvale and Penrith need more than a lick of paint. They will get it under a plan that is expected to be finalised in coming weeks. V’landys wants work on the stadiums to begin as soon as possible.

“We want it to start straight away,” he said.

“We want it done in the next two to three years. We want to see some action immediately because as I said, the $800 million has not been spent on ANZ Stadium.

“It is not new money, it is not money they had to find — they already had $800 million set aside for us. We’re pretty confident the premier and government will honour the agreement.

“It is not about rugby league, it is about community. We have a problem in this society at the moment that children are stuck on video games.

“We need to encourage them to participate in sport.”

V’landys is willing to play hardball if it is called for. He won’t rule out taking the grand final to Brisbane, but he hopes it won’t come to that.

“If someone makes an agreement with me, I lose my right arm to honour that agreement, and right leg we have an agreement,” he said.

“It is legally binding and we expect it to be honoured. Full stop. We have to do what is best for the NRL and our game and if it means taking a grand final to Brisbane, we will do it.

“Brisbane is a massive market for us. It is only fair we do consider taking it there. But I’m very confident the premier will make that agreement and we’ll get the suburban stadiums.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c3f75b0a4a0532973c693c02f487cb8f

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Cronulla are intent on staying at Shark Park
How is this misunderstood by soo many? We own it. The rest rent from councils or state gov. Well in QLD state owns them all.

We shut it for two years to upgrade, sure not shinny new, but unique and boutique,

Sell Homebush to developers and make it a residential powerhouse, use that money to build a shinny new stadium next to Liverpool train station, (Wests, Bulldogs, Soccer team).

Use the already allocated for upgrades to the council facilities at Penrith, Brookvale.

Of course SFS should be finished owned by NSW Govt. Newcastle and Wollongong upgraded.

Would retire the rest.

Last edited:

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
It looks like the NRL are seeing the light a little bit and putting Jubilee at the bottom of the pile due to the lack of games that would be played there.
Well played so far by our board and Dino. The longer it drags out gives us more of a chance of funding.
In Bold

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys emerged from a meeting with state government powerbrokers — including NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian — on Wednesday afternoon confident that the game could be only weeks away from resolving its stadium issues.

V’landys has been campaigning to have the $800 million that was designated to the overhaul of ANZ Stadium redirected to suburban grounds. He may get his wish in as little as a fortnight, V’landys optimistic that the government will honour their commitment to significantly upgrade the likes of Brookvale Oval and Penrith Stadium.

“It was a positive meeting,” V’landys said.

“We have agreed on a way forward and we will announce it once we finalise it.”

V’landys had been bullish earlier in the day when he fronted the media to announce plans to take games to regional venues next season. He could afford to be. He has a trump card in his back pocket in the shape of the NRL grand final. The NRL’s commitment to keep the grand final in Sydney was contingent on the state government spending money at ANZ Stadium.

When that deal fell through, the NRL demanded the money be redirected to upgrading some of the city’s tired venues. Brookvale and Penrith were at the top of the lost.

The government is also open to a stadium in Liverpool and a revamp of Kogarah Oval. The NRL’s preference would be to leave Kogarah to last given none of their clubs have shown any desire to base themselves permanently out of the venue.

Cronulla are intent on staying at Shark Park while St George Illawarra split their home games between Kogarah and WIN Stadium. The sense is that Kogarah is likely to be left to last, if it is done at all.

Brookvale and Penrith need more than a lick of paint. They will get it under a plan that is expected to be finalised in coming weeks. V’landys wants work on the stadiums to begin as soon as possible.

“We want it to start straight away,” he said.

“We want it done in the next two to three years. We want to see some action immediately because as I said, the $800 million has not been spent on ANZ Stadium.

“It is not new money, it is not money they had to find — they already had $800 million set aside for us. We’re pretty confident the premier and government will honour the agreement.

“It is not about rugby league, it is about community. We have a problem in this society at the moment that children are stuck on video games.

“We need to encourage them to participate in sport.”

V’landys is willing to play hardball if it is called for. He won’t rule out taking the grand final to Brisbane, but he hopes it won’t come to that.

“If someone makes an agreement with me, I lose my right arm to honour that agreement, and right leg we have an agreement,” he said.

“It is legally binding and we expect it to be honoured. Full stop. We have to do what is best for the NRL and our game and if it means taking a grand final to Brisbane, we will do it.

“Brisbane is a massive market for us. It is only fair we do consider taking it there. But I’m very confident the premier will make that agreement and we’ll get the suburban stadiums.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c3f75b0a4a0532973c693c02f487cb8f
The two things I like about that statement are the fact that Kogarah upgrade has been all but canned and the fact that V’Landys is putting pressure on for upgrades to start almost immediately. Let’s hope a little of the funds earmarked for the goons comes our way. Not saying a new stadium but some sort of upgrade.

The two things I like about that statement are the fact that Kogarah upgrade has been all but canned and the fact that V’Landys is putting pressure on for upgrades to start almost immediately. Let’s hope a little of the funds earmarked for the goons comes our way. Not saying a new stadium but some sort of upgrade.
Also, Vlandys is a Saints supporter and he's not playing faves.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Also, Vlandys is a Saints supporter and he's not playing faves.
It’s fortunate that they merged and Gordon has bailed them out financially numerous times. He will never give up the ‘gong games and that will ultimately cost them a new stadium. I’m hoping that they adopt a slightly different approach and share the funds around the suburban grounds. I’m sure Dino would be lobbying hard and giving us the best possible chance regardless of the outcome.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Not sure where all this comes from, being the NRL vampire V’landys lobbying the government - there’s no money in the coffers and in light of COVID, possible changes to stamp duty, tax receipts, need it go on - there won’t be any cash thrown around any time soon.
Expect more of the same in infrastructure going forward, unless it’s in the total general public interest like roads, transport etc - it ain’t happening

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Not sure where all this comes from, being the NRL vampire V’landys lobbying the government - there’s no money in the coffers and in light of COVID, possible changes to stamp duty, tax receipts, need it go on - there won’t be any cash thrown around any time soon.
Expect more of the same in infrastructure going forward, unless it’s in the total general public interest like roads, transport etc - it ain’t happening
All comes down to the 800mill that was earmarked for ANZ that never happened. V’Landys is holding the government to ransom by threatening to move the Grand Finals elsewhere if they don’t keep to their promise. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

It’s fortunate that they merged and Gordon has bailed them out financially numerous times. He will never give up the ‘gong games and that will ultimately cost them a new stadium. I’m hoping that they adopt a slightly different approach and share the funds around the suburban grounds. I’m sure Dino would be lobbying hard and giving us the best possible chance regardless of the outcome.
Nah mate, WE are costing them a new stadium.
We would be the major tenancy holder, just like we are now.
We refuse to play there and they don't get the new stadium.
They are our bitches.

jak

Bench
an the sharks have been bailed out how many times since 1967?

Quigs

Immortal
And how many times have we folded, died and had to merge?

unmerged-x500.jpg

shadowboxer

First Grade
Are we talking the club or players??? Don’t really wanna go there in the current environment.
Funny thing is, the club has had more thrown at it than most and still exist.. albeit playing out of the shithole in Kogarah at the moment, but still up top and not down Bulli pass