What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

BLN2

Juniors
Lodge publicly declined via POS. FFS I swear the Australia media put 1 + 1 = 10 for any player who has connections to the Warriors. Hughes now Lodge.

POS also said we have no roster spots anyway, so the only players we are signing are for 2022 as it stands.

Rich102

Staff member
Not as far as I know.
I believe he wants to know more about where the club will be playing next year first.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Lodge publicly declined via POS. FFS I swear the Australia media put 1 + 1 = 10 for any player who has connections to the Warriors. Hughes now Lodge.

POS also said we have no roster spots anyway, so the only players we are signing are for 2022 as it stands.

I had to re-read that. I don't usually associated POS with Peter O'Sullivan, rather something else.

I hope I wasn't the only one :D

Can't see Hughes or Lodge coming here honestly.

Big Marn

Juniors
Hey fellas, do you think Todd Payten would look at poaching anyone from the Warriors to strengthen the Cowboys, and if so who would be the most likely candidate? My understanding he is on the lookout for a strong outside back.

BLN2

Juniors
Well you already got Burr.. He's an OK bench option, that's all.

Hiku is off contract for 2022, he'd be a good pick up, just his defence is sub par. Someone like Perham is also off contract, and got game time under Todd. Maybe Kodi Nikorima is a chance for 2022? Seemed to play well with Todd in charge, and you're probably short a 6 with Clifford going.

TBH I think if players were going to jump ship for Todd, they'd probably already be at the Cows. Didn't they also just turn down Widdop because they have no cap spare? Holmes and Morgan are on way too much $$ IMO - Just saying.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Storm have reportedly given Brandon permission to talk to other clubs from 2022 and beyond.

Get on the f**king phone to him, give him what ever he wants imo.

You could absolutely build the club for the next 5 years around RTS, Tohu, Smith, AFB and Katoa

Campion

Juniors
I also think that if we get Brandon Smith, then it would cover up the obvious gap in the halfs. We managed to do well even with Witt and Rovelli in the halfs -- because we had the good 1, 9, and some key props etc. I mean, ideally we have a top tier 6 and 7 as well -- just saying that it's not unheard of to go far without.

JJ

Immortal
Smith would be brilliant, but while teams can be functional without quality halves, in all seriousness they seldom if ever win premierships - even Cameron Smith has had high quality halves supporting him

Bloody Melbourne though, how good are they - three of the four best hookers in the game - lol, And Brandon Smith is the spare wheel... what a position to be in

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I dunno... While I'm not disagreeing that half's are important, you only need to look at Paramattas Dylan Brown and Mitch Moses - 14 try assists and 32 forced drop outsls combined. Despite exiting finals in straight sets, they still had a great year, finishing 3rd.

Kodi and CHT had 21 try assists and about 20 forced drop outs (around 70% of Paramattas) despite playing less games together.

I think that shows that you can still get far with average halves. I know those stats aren't the be all and end all of a halves pair, and CHT probably needs to step up and direct the team/kick better, but I think that with a forward pack that's 80% better than it was this year, and RTS and Smith, we could absolutely push for a top 4 spot despite not having front line halves.

Reactions: JJ

TheDMC

Bench
I dunno... While I'm not disagreeing that half's are important, you only need to look at Paramattas Dylan Brown and Mitch Moses - 14 try assists and 32 forced drop outsls combined. Despite exiting finals in straight sets, they still had a great year, finishing 3rd.

Kodi and CHT had 21 try assists and about 20 forced drop outs (around 70% of Paramattas) despite playing less games together.

I think that shows that you can still get far with average halves. I know those stats aren't the be all and end all of a halves pair, and CHT probably needs to step up and direct the team/kick better, but I think that with a forward pack that's 80% better than it was this year, and RTS and Smith, we could absolutely push for a top 4 spot despite not having front line halves.

Also many halfs aren't world class until they are...

Point being if they have really good team around them, effective coaching, and work really hard, whose to say CHT and or Kodi can't become top class halves combo....

JJ

Immortal
Also many halfs aren't world class until they are...

Point being if they have really good team around them, effective coaching, and work really hard, whose to say CHT and or Kodi can't become top class halves combo....

Could argue Kodi has had opportunities at Brisbane with a strong pack, good coach etc...

I am not sure it's worth bothering with what George is saying publically... I am one of the few that likes Egan, but if Smith wanted to head to NZ, we'd be foolish not to look at a young but experienced high quality hooker - I reckon they'll be in on it

JJ

Immortal
Pretty clear than as with Addo Carr, Melbourne won't play ball unless they get like for like (in ability/status) player...

Not sure we have anyone who fits that bill - would need to be a combination of players, probably including someone with a big upside like Katoa - real test for George et al if they want Smith...

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Pretty clear than as with Addo Carr, Melbourne won't play ball unless they get like for like (in ability/status) player...

Not sure we have anyone who fits that bill - would need to be a combination of players, probably including someone with a big upside like Katoa - real test for George et al if they want Smith...

Lawton is the type of player that Storm pick up and turn into a star.
A workman like player, hasnt got any obvious flaws but also isn't a star. Will work his guts out for you.

Imo would flourish at the Storm

JJ

Immortal
Lawton is the type of player that Storm pick up and turn into a star.
A workman like player, hasnt got any obvious flaws but also isn't a star. Will work his guts out for you.

Imo would flourish at the Storm
Sure but no way in the world they are trading Smith for Lawton, going to want much more than that