What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Lemon Squash

First Grade
LIke the 40/20 rule?

I reckon that it gives the defense something else to think about in certain situations, regardless of whether teams actually attempt the long-range FG. I see absolutely no harm in trying this out. Most likely it will be close to irrelevant, but I really don't see any harm in trying.

Yes but the 40/20 rule has genuine application in games... most NRL games you will see at least an attempt to hit one and there’s at least a couple landed every round of NRL. The 40/20 is one of the best ways that a team can change momentum on its own accord not relying on a penalty or error etc.

As you have said with this rule you could only really ever be attempted in pretty unique situations in games, unless players just decide to take the piss I doubt we will see it more than half a dozen times all season and will be lucky if any even come off.

When a rule is changed or brought in imo there needs to be a genuine reason why. Honestly have you ever thought when Parra was down by 1 with a minute left, jeez I wish we could attempt a field goal from half way to take the lead? Just seems like they’ve made up a random rule for the sake of it.

Yes but the 40/20 rule has genuine application in games... most NRL games you will see at least an attempt to hit one and there’s at least a couple landed every round of NRL. The 40/20 is one of the best ways that a team can change momentum on its own accord not relying on a penalty or error etc.

As you have said with this rule you could only really ever be attempted in pretty unique situations in games, unless players just decide to take the piss I doubt we will see it more than half a dozen times all season and will be lucky if any even come off.

When a rule is changed or brought in imo there needs to be a genuine reason why. Honestly have you ever thought when Parra was down by 1 with a minute left, jeez I wish we could attempt a field goal from half way to take the lead? Just seems like they’ve made up a random rule for the sake of it.

So what harm is done? At worst nothing happens. Big deal. At best there is a little more variety in approaches late in each half. I mean there's nothing more exiciting than watching another midfield bomb and working out who gets penalised for obstruction.

I see it being used more towards the end of the first half.

Haynzy

First Grade
So what harm is done? At worst nothing happens. Big deal. At best there is a little more variety in approaches late in each half. I mean there's nothing more exiciting than watching another midfield bomb and working out who gets penalised for obstruction.

It’s a pretty risky option too.
If you miss and it goes over the dead ball line it’s still a 7 tackle set from the 20 isn’t it?

Lemon Squash

First Grade

I’m sure a lot of people agree with you. The other half like myself see it as a cheap, dumb gimmick rule which adds nothing to the game. I don’t want to see my game cheapened by making up random rules for the sake of it.

The point if it’s not going to be used why even bring it in? I’m worried this could be the start of just bringing in a whole bunch of whacky random rules. Going to start messing with the fabric of the game.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Okay let’s make tries 10 points if they are scored from over the 50m line as well?

I’m all for tweaking rules to enhance the game, things like this just though come off as cheap and gimmicky imo
How about players can be in front of the kicker in their own half. The wingers can run to the half way when the team is still in their own 20, causing the opposition to be in two minds wether to mark up on the wingers or stay in the line, thus opening the game up....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think this is too much of a change except that if they ref sends it upstairs as a Try then the kicker will start lining up while the replay goes on. If it goes up as a No Try then everyone will stand around and watch the screen.
They'll even stand around watching the screen while the ball's in play if they spot an amazing bargain!

Avenger

Immortal