What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Crush

Coach
Really next season should be about steadying the ship.
Identifying weak links, attitude problems, and developing those with a future.

Recruits will come if we are at least competitive and show a path to success. We, on paper at least are not in the race.

Thats Ok for me. We can't bandage up a decade of failure in one season.
Thats all good and well if we are competitive and play some attractive football.
However, the danger is that we aren't competitive. Our forwards get smashed. Our halves can't be successful on the back of a pack going nowhere.
We fail and finish bottom 4.
Then what? We are back to paying overs for anyone who is willing to come.

I really think with our new coaching department this is the year we should be shopping and buying some real talent to go with our promising juniors.

I'm concerned at the amount of forwards we have lost and the lack of replacements.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Mate, I hate to be negative but I agree.
I know people say be patient but unless we pull a rabbit out of a hat after Christmas we are in for a tough 2021.

Crush, I think we were going to be in for a very tough 2021 in any case especially if McGimp was still at the helm.
The great unknown is with Hook and Co at the helm how much improvement can he get out of the current squad?

As far as the worst squad is concerned, I'm not so sure about that. In fact sometimes the opposite applies, thst squad can be too topped with 'stars', The Broncos last year as a prime example. The correct leadership goes a long way in making, as they say, a star team.

It was exciting, was it not, to see the likes of Ramsey, Max Feagai and Sullivan make their debutes and have good games. They bought the much needed energy we've lacked for so long. It is hopefull the influx of our new coaches can have the same effect on ALL our players.

SBD82

Coach
Thats all good and well if we are competitive and play some attractive football.
However, the danger is that we aren't competitive. Our forwards get smashed. Our halves can't be successful on the back of a pack going nowhere.

I really think with our new coaching department this is the year we should be shopping and buying some real talent to go with our promising juniors.

I'm concerned at the amount of forwards we have lost and the lack of replacements.
I agree with @TruSaint but I don’t think that means that we end up in the bottom four.

Sides that play gritty football but lack polish generally end up in 9th to 12th.

I’d love to see us finish higher, but that’s where I see us next year.

Crush

Coach
Crush, I think we were going to be in for a very tough 2021 in any case especially if McGimp was still at the helm.
The great unknown is with Hook and Co at the helm how much improvement can he get out of the current squad?

As far as the worst squad is concerned, I'm not so sure about that. In fact sometimes the opposite applies, thst squad can be too topped with 'stars', The Broncos last year as a prime example. The correct leadership goes a long way in making, as they say, a star team.

It was exciting, was it not, to see the likes of Ramsey, Max Feagai and Sullivan make their debutes and have good games. They bought the much needed energy we've lacked for so long. It is hopefull the influx of our new coaches can have the same effect on ALL our players.
Yes its exciting that we have young blokes ready to go. That is why its so frustrating that we haven't added any signings to compliment them.
Why is it Dogs, our arched rivals, have been able to sign big names like Cotric and JAC?
Why haven't we been able to sign anyone of significance even though we just let arguably our best player go in Frizell?
Who is replacing JDB, K Sims, Graham, Host?

Old Timer

Coach
Yes its exciting that we have young blokes ready to go. That is why its so frustrating that we haven't added any signings to compliment them.
Why is it Dogs, our arched rivals, have been able to sign big names like Cotric and JAC?
Why haven't we been able to sign anyone of significance even though we just let arguably our best player go in Frizell?
Crush
K Sims & Graham were dud signings and aren't going to be missed so no matter who plays in place of them at worst it is an even swap and most likely we get a plus as they were both bog ordinary.

Frizz was only ever a battering ram and due to poor utilisation never offered anything very much in attack and Hosty only ever got to show glimpses of what could have been so you need to be objective and understand what we lost as against the potential of what we lost.

So Hook IMO is in no worse position than what Mc Gregor created and Hook will do with what we now have far better than Mc Gregor ever did with what he actually had.

Put a smile on your dial Crush and relax in knowing there are far more good days ahead of us than all of the bad days we have been forced to endure.

Real light at the end of the tunnel and this time it is not a locomotive headed our way to make a train wreck out of the place.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Host was the mosy disappointing loss out of that lot. Unfortunately, he was told early last year by McGimp he wouldn't be re-signed. Hook came on too late to save that situation.
Of course DeBelin is still fightingvhis charge, and technically hasn't been lost yet.
Graham, well he went 1 or 2 seasons too many.
How many games did K. Sims actually play for us?
Friz, well imo he is on the decline and injuries are starting to effect his game. He may do well at the Knights, or correspondingly he may slip further.

Not argueing the point we need some more forwards, yes another prop/lock and definitely an edge type player. However, the new rules and the ones just announced throws the type of player required wide open.

Crush

Coach
Crush
K Sims & Graham were dud signings and aren't going to be missed so no matter who plays in place of them at worst it is an even swap and most likely we get a plus as they were both bog ordinary.

Frizz was only ever a battering ram and due to poor utilisation never offered anything very much in attack and Hosty only ever got to show glimpses of what have been so you need to be objective and understand what we lost as against the potential of what we lost.

So Hook IMO is in no worse position than what Mc Gregor created and Hook will do with what we now have far better than Mc Gregor ever did with what he actually had.

Put a smile on your dial Crush and relax in knowing there are far more good days ahead of us than all of the bad days we have been forced to endure.

Real light at the end of the tunnel and this time it is not a locomotive headed our way to make a train wreck out of the place.
Joe Burns and Matthew Wade will open the batting tomorrow, FFS.
You put a smile on your dial OT!

TruSaint

Referee

I understand your concern mate. I do.
However, what is the alternative ?

We need to see how things pan out in 21.
In our state, no player worth his salt will come to us unless its for overs.

Im not in the camp that thinks Griffin will be our saviour, but he and his team need time.

We have just been through a decade of mediocrity and failure. As Price and Mary are not self employed, that failure rests on the board.

Finally they have made a call and delivered a new coaching team. At the minute, Griffin and co are saying all the right things, but the proof is in the pudding.

In 2021, we don't need to be world beaters, but we need to be a side that opponents hate to face. Gritty, determined, and united.

Then and only then, can we attract players, increase membership, and forge ahead to better results.

BLM01

First Grade

Dont forget JAC wont be there for another year..anything can happen waiting that long.
And what spine and backs outside of Cotric do the Dogs have to get the team on the front foot and be giving JAC room.
Flanagan..ha, Burton in 2022..maybe, no real hooker and cant settle on a fullback
Who is their front row Napa & Hetherington
And they reckon Dogs got him for 500K a year. Pull the other one.
What happened to the fullback money Tigers were offering
Get your frustration Crush and he is a great speedster and finisher But I reckon Dogs payed more and overs.
Maybe we will get some big signings too for 2022 once we free up so much more $$$.
We have a lot off contract in 21

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Mate, I hate to be negative but I agree.
I know people say be patient but unless we pull a rabbit out of a hat after Christmas we are in for a tough 2021.
A rabbit has WELL AND TRUELY been pulled out of the hat.

The club has appointed the BEST SIGNING/S since Wayne Bennett.

Hook, Elliott, Gentle, Soward and Nightingale is a dream team.

I honestly believe Saints will be a force for the next 5-10 years.

Our roster has been fine. The attitude and most importantly, the Game plans and management have been non existent .
I’m excited for the coming season.

BLM01

First Grade
I wonder if they are dabbling in the ‘ dark side ‘ once again ? :thinking:
Not suggesting anything really illegal just like we all have said many times on here there are loop holes and ways round the cap If you have people in your club who know people happy to accommodate for a financial benefit or return
There is a reason Tigers let him go in the first place I’m not convinced out of the Bellamy and Melb bubble that JAC will be the same player
He does have issues in defence
We will see

Crush

Coach

Our roster has been fine. The attitude and most importantly, the Game plans and management have been non existent .
I hope you are right mate!

Old Timer

Coach
Well, if we make the 8 then Hook & co will look really good,
AND Mary & Co will look really bad !!
I will be happy to see some attractive football and some long range tries which will indicate that we have potential and consistency in doing that will improve our chances markedly.

The only potential we showed consistently over the last 8 years was to fall at the most modest of hurdles.

goldiesaintz

Juniors

Well said, B & B.
I am too.

upload_2020-12-17_10-50-5.png
source - dragons.com.au

Latest posts