What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SCG , GABBA test Swap? other contingency plans

TheParraboy

Staff member
I can see this happening, the swap

Also what could happen, back to back Gabba tests in front of crowds.

Or an SCG test with no crowds?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...g-cricket-australia-contingency-plans-1244754

288843.4.jpg

A switch of the Sydney and Brisbane Tests, to give New South Wales more time to deal with its current Covid-19 outbreak, is one of two possible scenarios Cricket Australia is being compelled to consider as state governments begin tightening their borders once more.

The cricket, broadcasting and media caravan got out of Adelaide in the nick of time on Saturday and Sunday, in some cases a matter of hours before the state's premier Steven Marshall announced mandatory 14-day quarantine for recent visitors to greater Sydney.

Similar complications are at the heart of discussions about how to possibly reframe the remaining Tests between Australia and India, with the strong preference of CA, Cricket NSW and the SCG Trust to find a way of avoiding the outright loss of the Sydney Test.

"The third Test is more than two-and-a-half weeks away, which provides us with time to assess the evolving public health situation on the northern beaches of Sydney," CA's interim CEO Nick Hockley said in a statement. "We have made no changes to our schedule and our preference remains to play the match at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"Cricket Australia has developed a solid track record of delivery throughout this most challenging of summers and will continue to make appropriate and proportionate decisions in consultation with our biosecurity team, governments, State & Territory Associations, the Australian Cricketers' Association, our partners and venues"

Switching the Gabba Test to the third game of the series, allowing free movement from Melbourne, to Brisbane and then finally to Sydney, would allow the SCG to still host a match, albeit with likely hard restrictions on crowd numbers and also flow on effects for the Big Bash League schedule.

The growing Covid-19 outbreak has forced fresh consideration of other contingency plans, such as playing both the Boxing Day and New Year's Tests in Melbourne. Such a scenario would be as much about ensuring the touring caravan can travel freely onwards to Brisbane, the venue for the final Test, rather than being caught up in Sydney.

This plan is believed to be favoured by broadcasters for reducing the amount of travel undertaken by production staff and equipment, and consequently achieving a cost saving. However, the preferences of the BCCI and the Indian touring team will also need to be considered.

"CA has prepared for the possibility of Covid-19 hotspots and state border closures over the course of the summer and the protocols that we have put in place have been effective in ensuring the safety and success of the men's and women's domestic and international programs to date," Hockley said.

"It was less than a month ago that South Australians were contending with an outbreak of the virus in Adelaide and we have just completed a brilliant first Test at the Adelaide Oval. We faced similar issues in relation to the Melbourne Cricket Ground playing host to the Boxing Day Test and we are now less than a week away from welcoming back Victorian crowds after a difficult year for the state.

"We will continue to work closely with all relevant parties to make the right decisions in the appropriate timeframes."

Australia's stunning three-day victory over India in Adelaide played out against the backdrop of the Sydney outbreak, with David Warner and Sean Abbott travelling early down to Melbourne to ensure they were not caught up in what are likely to be increasing restrictions on travel out of New South Wales.

"Of course been chatting about that, fingers crossed it doesn't escalate too much," Cummins said. "I think Davey got his own Lear jet down to Melbourne from all reports, so he's sorted. But of course CA have been amazing with our medical staff there, they've thought of every contingency and red hot on our discipline with mask wearing and isolation before coming into the bubble. So fingers crossed Sydney can look after themselves but I think we'll see Davey and Sean down in Melbourne."

TheParraboy

Staff member
Another thought from Mel from Fox Sports

Back to back MCG tests LOL

Fox reported that CA said SCG stays where it is for now....

TheParraboy

Staff member
Whay can't Perth take the new years test?

Travel from VIC to WA and then from WA to QLD is allowed.

Not sure. Maybe booking the venue at short notice? Or maybe Team India just dont want to?

Talking about Perth. With whats going on in South Africa, 3 test series might be be played in Perth

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...y-move-to-perth-amid-covid-19-fallout-1242086

Australia's scheduled Test series in South Africa next year may move to Perth, with early discussions between the two boards already taking place in the wake of the cancellation of the remainder of England's current tour due to issues around Covid-19.

According to the schedule for the World Test Championship, Tim Paine's Test side are meant to be facing South Africa in three Tests in South Africa between February 14 and March 13, a key assignment leading up to the tournament final in England in mid-2021, but the problems unveiled by England's visit have made the trip increasingly problematic.

The fate of Australia's visit is one part of what is becoming a complex challenge for Cricket South Africa with uncertainty now also hanging over Sri Lanka's visit later this month for two Tests.

Just over a week ago I’d booked flights to head to Sydney for the test. Then bang...

If it’s not the border restrictions (returning from NSW) that’ll get me, I might not be allowed in anyway, if it’s even held at the SCG.

I’ll wait til just before Christmas methinks, hopefully calms down in the next few days.

Valheru

Coach
Not sure. Maybe booking the venue at short notice? Or maybe Team India just dont want to?

Talking about Perth. With whats going on in South Africa, 3 test series might be be played in Perth

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...y-move-to-perth-amid-covid-19-fallout-1242086

Australia's scheduled Test series in South Africa next year may move to Perth, with early discussions between the two boards already taking place in the wake of the cancellation of the remainder of England's current tour due to issues around Covid-19.

According to the schedule for the World Test Championship, Tim Paine's Test side are meant to be facing South Africa in three Tests in South Africa between February 14 and March 13, a key assignment leading up to the tournament final in England in mid-2021, but the problems unveiled by England's visit have made the trip increasingly problematic.

The fate of Australia's visit is one part of what is becoming a complex challenge for Cricket South Africa with uncertainty now also hanging over Sri Lanka's visit later this month for two Tests.

Surely they could get the venue... even if it is the WACA? But yes India probably wouldn't want to.

Another interesting one is Canberra? Travel from/to VIC/ACT/QLD is still fine. Hobart is also fine as well.

Yes I did see that Perth may host the series against SA but I see that as a last resort.

bazza

Referee
Surely they could get the venue... even if it is the WACA? But yes India probably wouldn't want to.

Another interesting one is Canberra? Travel from/to VIC/ACT/QLD is still fine. Hobart is also fine as well.

Yes I did see that Perth may host the series against SA but I see that as a last resort.
How much notice does a ground need to prepare a test match pitch?
I assume most venues have BBL pitches at the moment?

Valheru

Coach
How much notice does a ground need to prepare a test match pitch?
I assume most venues have BBL pitches at the moment?

Yeah good point but surely it is possible in the modern era.

I reckon both Hobart and Canberra would jump at a chance to host.

Vozzy

Juniors
And Warne wants it in Geelong so he can remind us how he got a point for missing at the Geelong oval while playing flogball before taking up cricket.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And Warne wants it in Geelong so he can remind us how he got a point for missing at the Geelong oval while playing flogball before taking up cricket.

Faty Finch's home ground, we'd be opening the batting with Fatty and Wade if Warnie had his way

TheParraboy

Staff member
Dual SCG tests?

I like

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ests-among-ca-s-contingency-scenarios-1244984

298821.4.jpg

New South Wales would find itself hosting each of the final two Tests of the series against India at the SCG and Queensland left entirely empty-handed due to its closed southern border under one of the scenarios on the table as administrators wrestle with how to navigate the many complications created by the Covid-19 outbreak on Sydney's northern beaches.

The number of cases in the outbreak appears to have stabilised, with daily totals of seven and eight recorded by NSW Health over the past two days, all but one linked to the same northern beaches cluster centred on Avalon. This bodes well in public health terms for the successful staging of major cricket matches from the second week of January onwards.

Even amid the current outbreak, the A-League is to launch its season with a match in Sydney on Sunday night with at least 50% stadium capacity allowed. The larger problem for Cricket Australia, Cricket NSW and the SCG Trust is that of border closures, in particular between NSW and Queensland, where the Gabba is meant to host the fourth Test of the series, starting January 15.

For most of the past five days, the options available appear to have veered between switching the Brisbane and Sydney Tests to allow more time for borders to re-open, or to play back-to-back matches at the MCG, where both touring teams are currently preparing for the Boxing Day Test.

While the back-to-back MCG Tests option remains the most likely at present, ESPNcricinfo understands that a third possible option has emerged, whereby the New Year's Test at the SCG is played from January 7 onwards as scheduled, and if the Queensland border does not open in time, the final match of the series is also held at the SCG. Only one Big Bash League match, the January 16 meeting between the Sydney Sixers and the Perth Scorchers at the SCG, would need to be moved as a result.

Such a scenario would honour CA's commitment to return to play a Test at the SCG after NSW proved helpful in providing India's port of entry to begin the tour at short notice, after lengthy and ultimately unsuccessful negotiations with Queensland's health department and state government to do likewise.

That backdrop has been further underlined by the current squabbling between the premiers of NSW and Queensland, over the northern state's decision to impose a hard border at Christmas time. Either way, CA is likely to reach a decision on whether to overturn its current schedule before the start of the Boxing Day Test.

The biggest obstacle to the dual SCG Test scenario would be possible implications for Australian players intending to take part in the remainder of the BBL following the end of the India series, depending on whether or not other state borders remained closed to NSW at the time.

CA, NSW, Queensland and SCG Trust officials remained locked in talks on Wednesday, as brainstorming continued as to how to play out the remainder of the series safely and smoothly.

Dual SCG tests?

I like

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ests-among-ca-s-contingency-scenarios-1244984

298821.4.jpg

New South Wales would find itself hosting each of the final two Tests of the series against India at the SCG and Queensland left entirely empty-handed due to its closed southern border under one of the scenarios on the table as administrators wrestle with how to navigate the many complications created by the Covid-19 outbreak on Sydney's northern beaches.

The number of cases in the outbreak appears to have stabilised, with daily totals of seven and eight recorded by NSW Health over the past two days, all but one linked to the same northern beaches cluster centred on Avalon. This bodes well in public health terms for the successful staging of major cricket matches from the second week of January onwards.

Even amid the current outbreak, the A-League is to launch its season with a match in Sydney on Sunday night with at least 50% stadium capacity allowed. The larger problem for Cricket Australia, Cricket NSW and the SCG Trust is that of border closures, in particular between NSW and Queensland, where the Gabba is meant to host the fourth Test of the series, starting January 15.

For most of the past five days, the options available appear to have veered between switching the Brisbane and Sydney Tests to allow more time for borders to re-open, or to play back-to-back matches at the MCG, where both touring teams are currently preparing for the Boxing Day Test.

While the back-to-back MCG Tests option remains the most likely at present, ESPNcricinfo understands that a third possible option has emerged, whereby the New Year's Test at the SCG is played from January 7 onwards as scheduled, and if the Queensland border does not open in time, the final match of the series is also held at the SCG. Only one Big Bash League match, the January 16 meeting between the Sydney Sixers and the Perth Scorchers at the SCG, would need to be moved as a result.

Such a scenario would honour CA's commitment to return to play a Test at the SCG after NSW proved helpful in providing India's port of entry to begin the tour at short notice, after lengthy and ultimately unsuccessful negotiations with Queensland's health department and state government to do likewise.

That backdrop has been further underlined by the current squabbling between the premiers of NSW and Queensland, over the northern state's decision to impose a hard border at Christmas time. Either way, CA is likely to reach a decision on whether to overturn its current schedule before the start of the Boxing Day Test.

The biggest obstacle to the dual SCG Test scenario would be possible implications for Australian players intending to take part in the remainder of the BBL following the end of the India series, depending on whether or not other state borders remained closed to NSW at the time.

CA, NSW, Queensland and SCG Trust officials remained locked in talks on Wednesday, as brainstorming continued as to how to play out the remainder of the series safely and smoothly.

I like too...

Gabba crowds are notoriously low for test matches.. and even with restricted numbers at the SCG (as no doubt would be imposed) I think they’d draw as many people to the ground as the Gabba would. So there is merit to this proposal.

I still think they’ll do the games as scheduled though, although a potential for the 4th game could be Adelaide again...

Both states are liberal governments and have had the most “open” relationship regarding borders throughout all the COVID issues of 2020.

And a side benefit it would take India back to the scene of their nightmares...

India aka ..

images

I like too...

Gabba crowds are notoriously low for test matches.. and even with restricted numbers at the SCG (as no doubt would be imposed) I think they’d draw as many people to the ground as the Gabba would. So there is merit to this proposal.

I still think they’ll do the games as scheduled though, although a potential for the 4th game could be Adelaide again...

Both states are liberal governments and have had the most “open” relationship regarding borders throughout all the COVID issues of 2020.

And a side benefit it would take India back to the scene of their nightmares...

India aka ..

images
:D:cool:

The Indian team will forever be known as the 36ers.

TheParraboy

Staff member
No surprises, India wanting to avoid Gabba test

The skeptic in me wants to say more, But I wont...

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/india-raise-concern-over-brisbane-report-233643479--spt.html

India have reportedly expressed concern about being forced into a hard quarantine on entry to Brisbane, claiming they'd rather the fourth Test be played elsewhere.

The Australian and Indian teams are set to fly to Sydney on Monday to continue preparations for the third Test, before flying to Queensland for the fourth and final match.

Teams have so far been granted some freedoms during the tour, including being able to eat outdoors at venues and leave hotels.

However that is likely to change over the coming fortnight.

While harder restrictions will be in place in Sydney, Cricket Australia boss Nick Hockley said last week Brisbane's Test would be played under "quarantine conditions".

It means teams will predominantly only be able to leave their hotels to train and play, as part of an exemption for them to cross the closed border from greater Sydney into Queensland.

It's a situation an Indian official claims they would not be happy with.

"We aren't keen on going to Brisbane if it means being stuck in the hotel again, except for going to the ground," a source in the Indian camp told Cricbuzz.

"Instead we don't mind being in some other city, playing both Test matches there to complete the series and returning home."

According to the report, India's belief is that since they have served their 14 days hard quarantine on entry to Australia, they should be treated like members of the public.

However, given the current border closures, members of the public cannot enter Queensland from Sydney without serving another two weeks in quarantine.

The Gabba Test is seen as crucial to Australia's chances with the series currently locked at 1-1, given they have not been beaten at the ground since 1988.

India did not play a Test in Brisbane on their successful tour two seasons ago, a point that was not lost on Australian captain Tim Paine in the aftermath.

Cricket Australia said on Sunday morning that they had not formally been approached over the matter, but the two national boards do talk daily.

Last edited: