What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Jamil Hopoate arrested, charged

DeeJ

Bench
That's a real bonehead move. 26 years old, previous conviction, unsigned, didn't play particularly well this year, seems to be a bit physically lacking for the NRL (too small for a forward) - I don't think he will play in the NRL again.

blue bags

First Grade
Another footy star in trouble with the law as infamous bad boy John Hopoate's son is charged with domestic assault and drink driving after he 'attacked his girlfriend at a pub'
  • Son of John Hopoate, Jamil, hit with drink driving and domestic assault charges
  • Police were called to pub at Port Macquarie on NSW mid-north coast on Sunday
  • Officers allegedly found the 26-year-old drunk behind the wheel of a car nearby
  • He was charged with drink driving, common assault and stalking/ intimidating
  • Hopoate given year behind bars in 2014 for attack on man outside Sydney pub
By CHARLIE COË FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

The son of footy bad boy John Hopoate has been charged with drink driving and domestic assault after allegedly attacking his girlfriend at a pub.

Police arrested Jamil Hopoate - the second son of ex-NRL bad boy John - after being called to the pub at Port Macquarie on the New South Wales mid-north coast at 8.30pm on Sunday.

The 26-year-old was allegedly found by officers behind the wheel of a car nearby.

He was charged with mid-range drink driving, three counts of common assault and two of stalking or intimidation intended to cause fear or physical harm.

37324986-9092165-image-a-6_1609145088398.jpg

Jamil Hopoate - the second son of ex-NRL bad boy John - has been charged after allegedly attacking his girlfriend at a pub

37324988-9092165-Hopoate_was_previously_sentenced_to_a_minimum_of_one_year_behind-a-19_1609145610531.jpg

Jamil Hopoate was previously sentenced to a minimum of one year behind bars for assaulting a man outside a Sydney bar in 2014. He is pictured at Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney in December of that year

Investigators are reportedly in the process of securing CCTV footage of the venue, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Hopoate was granted conditional bail to appear at Port Macquarie Local Court on January 20.

Hopoate - who played in 12 NRL games for the Broncos this season - was in 2014 sentenced to a year behind bars for a drunken, unprovoked attack on a man outside a Sydney pub.

He was sacked by the Manly Sea Eagles after his conviction and only made his league debut earlier this year.

The footy player is out of contract with the Broncos, with the fresh charges once again putting his sporting career in jeopardy.

His brother Will is a fullback for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.
The 26-year-old admitted earlier this year he didn't value his rugby league career.

37324990-9092165-image-a-8_1609145311966.jpg

Hopoate during training for the Brisbane Broncos in May. He has been granted conditional bail to appear at Port Macquarie Local Court on January 20

35395802-8925921-image-a-18_1604827535109.jpg

+5

The 26-year-old's father John Hopoate (pictured) infamously inserted his finger into the backsides of three North Queensland Cowboys players while playing for the Wests Tigers in 2001.

'I took everything for granted actually,' he told The Sydney Morning Herald.

'I didn't realise how good I had it. Going inside made me realise what I had and how precious it is, to be playing footy.

'I thought my career was over so that hurt too. I've been away from my daughter, my family and friends - it was more hurtful than scary.'

His hulking footballer father meanwhile infamously stuck his finger into the bottom of three of his opponents during a game in 2001.

For that incident he was suspended for 12 games, and throughout his career he was rubbed out for 47 games - an unwanted NRL record.

20878182-7674199-image-a-2_1573503259779.jpg

NRL star David Fifita (pictured) after returning to Australia in 2019 following a three-day stint in a Bali jail

Jamil Hopoate's charges follows fellow NRL star David Fifita being arrested on Sunday morning following reports he was allegedly trespassing in a Gold Coast home.

The 20-year-old Gold Coast Titans forward was under the impression he had been invited to the Clear Island Waters home by a woman, according to 9News.

But after entering those inside called police.

He has since been released from custody without charge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...l-charged-allegedly-attacking-girlfriend.html

Read more:

NRL bad boy John Hopoate's s

on Jamil is charged after allegedly attacking girlfriend

JamesRustle

First Grade
Good to see they worked "finger into the backsides" into the article, although I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't get "anus" in there and insinuate Jamil was suspected of similar during the pub incident.

BadnMean

Juniors
He’s body isn’t good bud

Yeah we're not pinning hopes on him a starter so he came for peanuts, part of Ricky's "throw really cheap darts at the wall and hope one's a bullseye" approach to outside back depth. He'll have a hard time pushing past Timoko & Smith-Shields to even be first backup.

Vee

First Grade
Raiders signed Albert this off season. He's coming off his 2nd knee reco & he's about 21 years old I think... Not sure his body will hold up to be honest.
The elephant in the room is why Manly loaned him out and then cut him.

Latest posts