What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing

Valheru

Coach
Believe me dude... I take a strong interest in the UFC and am aware of weight cutting... if he’s saying that he’s cutting that much weight then he’s bullshitting.

Cutting that much weight doesn’t even make sense logically..

It’s accepted that the sweet spot for cutting weight is about 5-7% body fat.

once you start cutting more than that you start hindering your performance... and it’s a steep drop off. They say every one percent over that 7% is like a 10% drop in performance.

so you need to weigh up whether or not the size advantage you get at that weight is worth the drop in performance.

what your talking about with Rob is a 15-20% drop in body fat.... that’s INSANE.

and for what?? He’s not even a big Middleweight. Adesanya is bigger than him... and he barely cuts to get to MW.

Infact he often comes in well under the MW limit.

the only person who cuts that much weight at MW is Paulo Costa.

if Rob was seriously cutting that much weight there would need to be some serious questions asked of his team.

no f**king way would he be allowed to cut that much weight if he was at CKB.

I know Joe Lopez and Eugene have Volk at 10-15lbs at all times.

I honestly think Rob was pulling their leg or was over exaggerating. it doesn’t even make sense.

Conor I get... when he cuts down to FW/LW he’s a huge FW/LW.

Rob’s not even a big MW.

You are right in that Whittaker isn't a big MW but his proposed walk around weight isn't that much of a stretch. There is a difference between walk around weight when not actively preparing for a fight and the weight from which he would cut at in the weeks leading up to the fight.

I don't think it is unfeasible that Rob would drop a good 5-10lbs between when a contract is signed for a fight and when he enters training camp proper.

Khabib for example is known to have a "walk around" weight of 175-180lbs which is 25-30lbs above LW limit but he certainly wouldn't be cutting from that point during training camp.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
You are right in that Whittaker isn't a big MW but his proposed walk around weight isn't that much of a stretch. There is a difference between walk around weight when not actively preparing for a fight and the weight from which he would cut at in the weeks leading up to the fight.

I don't think it is unfeasible that Rob would drop a good 5-10lbs between when a contract is signed for a fight and when he enters training camp proper.

Khabib for example is known to have a "walk around" weight of 175-180lbs which is 25-30lbs above LW limit but he certainly wouldn't be cutting from that point during training camp.
UFC superstar Robert Whittaker has revealed a 100kg ‘catch weight’ is the most likely landing point for his hyped boxing showdown with Paul Gallen.

As first revealed by News Corp, Whittaker has agreed to a one-off boxing switch after being called out by Gallen at Bankwest Stadium on Wednesday night.

Usually, Whittaker walks around at about 96kg.

The Sydneysider also regains around 8kg between his weigh-ins and entry into the Octagon some 30 hours later.

Asked about fighting a rival who weighed 104kg, Whittaker said: “I don’t really want to box over 100kg.

“That for me really is my off-season weight.

As I mentioned before, Rob is not that small and by agreeing to fight at 100kg would suggest that is somewhere around his normal weight. He is not going to bulk up for a one off boxing match against a retired footballer, he would have strict training regimes designed around his UFC career to minimise the impact of weight cuts and putting on bulk muscle would be detrimental to all that.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

sugar ray Leonard, 1 of my favorite boxers
Still remember watching the super fight against Hagler when I was young, amazing battle of skill v brute force. Hagler v Hearns was a classic as well and gives a good perspective on how good Leonard went against Hagler. I remember in the 80’s the big fights would be on FTA live on Sunday mornings and that’s what hooked me into boxing.
Unfortunately nowadays a retired footballer against a retired MMA fighter is considered a super fight so the sport has lost its way, I watch mostly UFC nowadays.

blue bags

First Grade
Still remember watching the super fight against Hagler when I was young, amazing battle of skill v brute force. Hagler v Hearns was a classic as well and gives a good perspective on how good Leonard went against Hagler. I remember in the 80’s the big fights would be on FTA live on Sunday mornings and that’s what hooked me into boxing.
Unfortunately nowadays a retired footballer against a retired MMA fighter is considered a super fight so the sport has lost its way, I watch mostly UFC nowadays.
this is a super fight :)

Wizardman

First Grade
Im watching this Huni fight tonight. Im not all that impressed by him to be honest. I actually give Gallen a bit of a shot (I can't believe I just said that).

Kilkenny

Coach
Im watching this Huni fight tonight. Im not all that impressed by him to be honest. I actually give Gallen a bit of a shot (I can't believe I just said that).

Justis Huni shouldn’t bother wasting his time going to Tokyo he up is more chance of getting coronavirus than winning his 1st round contest.

kdalymc

Bench
Australia's beat just won alll the belts baby. Tim Tszyu who?
George better get his respect now
Love George. What a f**ken win but big Asterix there
It SHOULD have been for undisputed....

What was with all the WBC merch when wasn't even for a (legit) belt

Edit- the clowns are calling him undisputed on their Facebook ha

Smug Panther

First Grade
Another easy win for Fury, he'd be a problem for any heavyweight in history. Just a genetic freak and has crazy fight IQ. Hopefully 2 more fights in his career then sails off into the sunset undefeated.

Latest posts